Rumour: Crackdown and Dead RIsing could be free to Xbox LIVE Gold in August

It's being reported [via] that Polish retailer Ultima is running a branded promotion claiming that Crackdown will be the first free game for Xbox LIVE Gold members in August.

Another Polish site actually claimed that both Crackdown and Dead Rising 2 would be offered to Xbox Live Gold subscribers in August, so there could be something in this.

What do you think? Are these games to old for your liking or does age not matter given that both are fairly great titles?

Edited On 31 Jul, 2013

Comments
Oh great, more games I already own and/or have played to death.
Woop 5 year old games
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Well the going rate of Crackdown on ebay is about £2.75 big whoop dead rising 2 would make sense seeing as Dead Rising 3 is on its way and probably would represent the best deal so far of the free games.
Chris 3 years ago
Why do people complain when something is given for free they dont want? They dont have to give you anything and the games are hardly going to be new ones are they? Personally I havent played either
It's cos Microsoft hyped up Games for Gold as the counter to PS+
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Chris the free games are supposed to be competing with PS Plus so which do you reckon is the better line up Spec Ops, Mafia II and Need for Speed Most Wanted or Crackdown and Dead Rising.
Or compare last months offering of Games for Gold to last months PS+, ye massive difference
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
Just pathetic when compared to what you get on PS Plus... got my membership only a month ago, nearly half the price of Netflix and I've been enjoying Battlefield 3, Saints Row 3, Payday: The Heist, Catherine, LOTR, Kingdoms of Amalur and on my Vita Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Ninja Gaiden, Unit 13 and Sine Mora...
judgebread's avatar
judgebread 3 years ago
I have read elsewhere that it is DR2!, just have to wait for Major Nelson to wake up I guess.
Even if it is DR2, it's still an old game most people already own or have played.
Not enjoying Ico & Shadow of the Colossus? Not played Dead Rising 2 so I might give it a download even though I rarely play my X360
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
On top of the fact that they're ancient and can be found in bargain bins around the country, I also heard MS are only doing these free games until the end of the year.... whoopdeedoo...
DR2 is good Nox, Off the record is better though.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Yeah Games for Gold is only up to November when the Xbone is released.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Hopefully it's Dead Rising 1 not 2. Also Bindiana, I'd much rather take Crackdown and Dead Rising over Spec ops, Mafia 2 and Need for Speed any day.
Have you played Spec Ops? I'll give you the other 2
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Played the demo and not really that interested in it. also, nothing beats Dead Rising for me, apart from Gears.
The demo doesn't do the game justice
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
My point wasnt what was the better games but which is the better value xbox churning out ancient games while PS+ giving games away that are less then a year old.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
It is official, it is Crackdown. I already have it but can now download and play and not use the disc. I have not played it much so is good, and it will be good if it is Dead Rising 2 as that is one game I have not actually bought yet. I have a used copy of DR1 and if that was a future game, I would welcome that too. Mafia 2 and Dead Rising 2 is similar in age and availability, actually Mafia 2 is one month older than Dead Rising 2, and the games are a matter of taste. I have Mafia 2, so if it is DR2 then that works out awesome for me. I also have NFS Most Wanted for 100% free on PC when EA messed up Sim City. I do not see the appeal of the free games on the PSN store as you are basically paying £40 per year to get cheap / free games, but subscribing to Xbox GOLD is much more. These games for free by Microsoft you can keep forever, buy one month of gold, get game free, and cancel subscription and keep playing it. You can only play the free PSN games as long as you keep subscribing - if you cancel you can no longer play the game. Older games are better IMO as if you miss one, like I did with DR2 then a digital download is better than buying a 2nd hand one that may be scratched. Newer games are more likely to be available. Once a game goes out of print its price can fluctuate, eg X-Men Origins Wolverine, the other day I looked around the place and saw it for sale for £8.99, now earlier today 2nd hand ones on Amazon are selling for £20 at the lowest with limited amount for sale, although now there is one more for £9.99. It is probably the new movie that is enticing people to get it. The game is old, out of print, and is costing more 2nd hand than newer games that are still available new.