Thursday Chat, August 15

Last night saw the online reveal for Call of Duty: Ghosts, introducing playable women, new game modes and more, but is it enough?

There's no doubt that there's a Call of Duty hater brigade out there, however it's still a very popular game which sees no sign of letting up.

So where do you stand on Call of Duty? Are you a fan and if so what do you like about it? Likewise, if you can't stand COD, tell us why, we're listening.

Let's Chat!

Edited On 15 Aug, 2013

Comments
I used to love CoD, had so many great nights playing with friends on 2, but then 3 was a mess which put me off, but I gave 4 a go, and had fun with friends on that for a while. By then though I was playing less with friends, and more with strangers, who turned out to be complete arsewipes for the most part, so that pretty much drove me away all by itself, plus the military shooter was feeling stale by then, which didn't help either. Not played one since, and don't have the urge either.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
3 was my favourite because it had the best WW2 storyline, I played MW2 online a fair amount it was either that or FIFA clubs for that year. Haven't bought one since Black Ops 1, haven't played the most recent one and will unlikely play another.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
Ilike Call of Duty. I buy and play it every year, and i thoroughly enjoy the 4-6 hours i spend on the single player. Every year I try the multi player and end up getting about an hour in before I get annoyed with the imbeciles online! Didn't watch the Ghosts thing last night, hoping to catch up with it today.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
I'm not good enough at COD to enjoy it as much as I should. But I've enjoyed playing for hours with mates just because it's fun to do that. I've not played it since Cod: MW1, but still, I'd happily pick it up tomorrow and know I'd like to play it for a few hours every week or so.
Samka's avatar
Samka 3 years ago
Never really got that into CoD, think the last one I bought was MW2, and after finishing the single player campaign I only ever really played it's multiplayer when I had mates round. couldn't deal with online multiplayer as it always seems to be full of douchebags. Have always found that those kinds of shooters don't really hold my interest for too long - there are just so many other games I'd rather play.
Never watch the Ghost thing. A bit of COD is OK but I'm not a big fan of the "Run & Gun" style
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
MW1 was the first one I played, loved the campaign and spent a long time playing MP, my fav in the series probably. Black Ops 1 next, crap campaign which I forced myself to complete, again loads of time spent playing MP with friends which BO did well. I then got MW3, got 10% of the way through the campaign before dying of boredom(same old), MP was OK-ish but spent less than half the time playing it than I did on BO, again friends were the only motivation here... Gave Black Ops II a miss, just feels so stale and all the reviews and trailers etc. didn't convince me otherwise... I think Cod and I are done...
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
My COD experience is very little played about half of the single player in MW2 and played a couple hours online and completed MW3 (the 2nd FPS I have ever completed the other one being Bulletstorm). I think its more to do with the reputation it has now of only whiney kids playing it But i know people who only really play COD until the next one comes out.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
splinter cell blacklist reviews are out and scoring high roll on next friday with xcom and saints aswell best weekend incoming bring it on
Two of the reasons that I stopped playing COD was all the Tryhards & the lack of variety in setups, reason I don't play much Dark Souls anymore
Question: What Multi-player did you like and/or had a good idea behind it but people just never really played it?
Mine is Singularity
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
I blast COD saying it's stale and is nothing but a cash cow, but in reality I dislike it because I suck HARD.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
battlefield 3 has and will be the best multiplayer game to play so much choice in game modes and with added tanks and planes
csrogue's avatar
csrogue 3 years ago
I quite enjoy COD. Can be a lot of fun in short doses. If shopto do an xbox one bundle with it before release then I will switch to that. Any word on xbox one bundles? As a series it peaked for me on call of duty 4. The games are still fun though if you can ignore the other people playing it. :) Wish they would go back to world war 2 settings though.
There will be no Xbone/CoD bundle at shopto csrogue, because Activision are little babies and have spit out their dummy
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
Battlefield 3, or Battlefield in general has the greatest MP across all platforms. Period. Although with BF3's insistance on chasing the CoD crowd, the community as a whole has become more immature and filled with arseholes! Killzone 2's Multiplayer sticks out for me as the greatest of this generation though. Heavy, realistic and just plain brutal! It was awesome.
csrogue's avatar
csrogue 3 years ago
Ahh well guess ill be giving this version a miss. :) Will probably be good for my blood pressure, and will definitely give me more time for my other games.
csrogue's avatar
csrogue 3 years ago
Loved killzone 2 online. Battlefield online is excellent, though it can take a few server swaps before finding a decent group.
Fine if we are talking about good ones that everyone plays then I will say Just Cause 2.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I'll be pre ordering cod ghost
Sure you will
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
i'll also be pre ordering bf4, enjoy them both there both two different types of FPS games.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Nox i know that's a sly dig trying to prevoke a reaction but as i told you i haven't got time to take you on.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
I loved the Ghost Recon :FS multi player too. But only if you had a good bunch of guys. I love slow, tactical play and the RunNGunners ruined it!
Why did you assume that?
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
I always just go by my objective like in MAG having to protect my base rather than just running and trying to kill the enemy. Luckily you had a lot of guys that just ran in like a lamb to slaughter. When you came up against a well worked team though, it was difficult.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
ghost recon advanced warfighter 2 or rainbow six vegas 2 has had the best MP for me this gen. Also nox because thats your level of maturity no offense.
What's wrong with my level of maturity?
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
I miss MAG. That game was awesome. I miss Zipper interactive too. without them, there will be no MAG or (decent)SOCOM for PS4
I was going to make a joke about toilets, but thought better of it ;)
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I'm not even going into this Nox but you always come out with sly comments to prevoke a reaction, it's like you're bored and trying to entertain yourself.
Make it, come on, just dump the joke on us
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
I miss MAG too. Playing it with my mate was good, but I really enjoyed playing it alone too, which I can't say for most things. I was in the worst team possible though, so trying to beat the opponents strongholds was annoying, butt by the time I tried to get back in to it the maps and everything had all swapped around so it was confusing as hell.
That's me in a nutshell & you love me for it. Admit it Princess
I couldn't really can into MAG. I think the main reason was that I never knew the maps as well as everyone else
That and I suck
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Kratos fancy some battlefield tonight?
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Don't think you can really compare battlefield an cod as they are far too different in gameplay. I plan on getting both for the Xbox one but its good they are having the season pass carry over. I like the additions to cod like the customisation of your squad.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
I think you can compare them, not from a "BF vs COD" thing, because that's just retarded. But I think you can sy "I've played BF3, I've Played MW3 and I prefer BF's multiplayer and Cod's Singleplayer"
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Getting used to the maps was fine for me as I got it on release and so I was learning along with everyone else. I wasn't great but there were very many bad players that you could pick off.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
on all week Joe when ever you want a game , got all maps now prob be on about 6 - 730pm then again later
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Of course you can compare like that when it comes down to what you prefer but i was meaning in terms of the gameplay where COD is more close quarter run and gun battlefield is more of a tactical approach to it. Also black ops 2 has had the best campaign for the call of duty games so far. I got fire emblem radiant dawn and xenoblade for the Wii today so i will get round to them at some point.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
Unfortunately, with them both being modern military first person shooters, The tactical gameplay of BF and the twitchy gameplay of cod is a non-issue. They are the same game competing for the same audience. Whether we like it or not.
I got three games today (I win) Rayman Origins, Yakuza 4 & Yakuza Dead Souls
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Payday 2 as well :)
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Thats true i suppose. Thats probably why I preferred the Bad company single players better than BF3, they just tried to go full COD with battlefield 3 and it didnt work.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
I got no games today. I got one DLC download yesterday, and better, I have no time to play anything! haha!
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I know how you fell but I have a few weeks in september before GTA 5 that i am planning on tearing through them. Just now I am mainly on an hour or so at night but then I have an exam in two weeks yesterday I am studying for so fun times.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
I have plenty of time to play stuff. Tonight will be dedicated to NFS: Most wanted. Boom.
As per usual my night will be involving Tales of Vesperia
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Random question with you now able to play as a female character in Ghosts, when you get the choice to pick what do you usually go for male or female?
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
I always go male. Only game I can see going female in is ME due to the voice acting being much better.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Also if you are male do you feel weird picking a female and the same the other way around. Personally for me it depends if it is a set character I will pick who i find to be the coolest or best voice actor in Gears 3 i would always pick Sam for the cogs as Claudia Black has an amazing voice whereas in Left 4 Dead it was always Bill in the first or Ellis in the second. Though for creating a character it depends on the type i am going for if its a fantasy RPG i usually go female for my mage and male for my warrior or archer.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Yeah i done both in ME and she does have the best voice acting. Thats why i went for a Sylvari female in guild was same actor.
It depends what kind of game it is & if the persona's I have built fit that world (Nox & Hime)
If it is pre-made characters then I will most likely go Male for my 1st run
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
It always annoys me when its an MMO and some has taken the name you usually use. Its good when it gives you an option for a second name as well helps you keep the name you like.
Johno Muller's avatar
Johno Muller 3 years ago
I'm not a fan of Jennifer Hale, her voice comes across as bitchy especially for Femshep
Oh and my lesser used back-up Toons Gauche & Roxy
One of the things that really annoyed me is that most of the female pawns in Dragon's Dogma were all wearing skimpy clothes & even some were just wearing thongs.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
God the skimpy clothes annoy me. In FF 14 beta i made my female white mage and the amount of up skirts during cutscenes was just ridiculous with the beginning gear. If I want to see that theres other thing i could be doing.
I feel that if you give your characters personality's you will enjoy the game a bit more. Hime wouldn't be caught dead in attire like that but Roxy wouldn't give two flying fucks since she is a enormous bitch