gamescom 2013: Major third party title to come free with Xbox One - FIFA 14 being suggested

A new report is suggesting that Microsoft has signed a landmark deal to bundle a "major third-party title" free with every Xbox One launch system across Europe and a separate report is suggesting that this title is FIFA 14.

"Each new Xbox One console sold in Europe (and perhaps the US) will come free with the title that alone will retail at £40 or higher, in an attempt to kick away at the £80 premium Xbox One has over Sony's PS4," says the report on CVG.

The anonymous source says this this is part of Microsoft's goal of adding value to its system without lowering its £429 release day price.

Meanwhile in a separate story on MCV it's being suggested that the above is due to a Xbox One/FIFA 14 tie-up that will be announced tomorrow. The bundle will still retail for £429.99, the same price as the Xbox One base unit.

What do you think?

Edited On 19 Aug, 2013

Comments
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Not a fan of Fifa but I wont turn down a free game if thats true. My brother does keep on at me to get it so i suppose I wouldnt have an excuse.
If it is Fifa no doubt that it will get the people who only play Fifa the buy it
Shoozle's avatar
Shoozle 3 years ago
I hate the Fifa series so much. My brother is playing it at the moment and all I hear is him yelling at I assume his friends, could be online strangers. Shouts conist of "I pressed circle!" and "I hate this effin game!" It's really pathetic coming from a 23 year old.
I think he is talking to himself, my mate does that as well
LAA's avatar
LAA 3 years ago
Not a fan of Fifa either, but good idea from Microsoft. I'm hoping this may push Sony to do the same too..., though we technically get Drive Club PS+ edition when PS4 launches if you have PS+.
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 3 years ago
Free stuff is free stuff. Anyone buying an XBO who doesn't like Fifa can just go trade it in and get some store credit or sell it to a friend or something. Either way it's still a bonus of some kind for you. Really hoping this is true and not just a misunderstanding about the 'free game with XBO in countries that dont get it til next year' that they talked about the other week. Well we will find out for sure tomorrow probably. I want this all to be true though really as I quite like Fifa :D
I think it will be a downloadable copy Cathe
troublemaker 3 years ago
Not sure how I feel about it. They must be paying EA an absolute fortune for that! Honestly, it's a pointless venture for me, I hate FIFA/soccer with a real passion and if every Xbox comes with it bundled, that completely erases any trade in or eBay option.
Cathe's avatar
Cathe 3 years ago
Downloadable would make sense. Everyone buying the console has to have some kind of internet access anyways since there is a day 1 patch that they talked about ages ago :o
juschris07's avatar
juschris07 3 years ago
This is definitely a good thing for me because I am a big fan of the fifa series and was going to but it on xbox 360 aswell as Xbox one so if this all works out then that will have saved me some money.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Meh, would have preferred something better but whatever, it's free.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
LOL Fifa I wouldn't want it and everyone would have one so it would be next to impossible to get rid of.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Is anyone else let down that its not a new Hexic game god I loved that game.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Yet you could still probably buy a PS4 with TWO copies of Fifa for the price of an Xbone :) . It's interesting just how desperate Microsoft seem to be getting, guess that huge advantage in preorder numbers the PS4 has is spooking them bad... but unless they ditch Kinect from the console and undercut the PS4 price they're still going to do nothing more than play damage control.
God I hated Hexic, I'm so so bad at it
Kevin will you please choose an avatar already
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Wish people would drop the "PS4 is cheaper" argument already, of course it's cheaper, it doesn't come with a camera. I honestly don't think MS are worrying that much, seeing as Xbox is still doing fine.
troublemaker 3 years ago
I'd be more interested though if Xbox dropped the camera and the price. If you add FIFA and the camera to a ps4 then the price is about the same. The fact is, currently, PS4 IS cheaper, no two ways about it!
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
It would be better if you didn't have to get the camera yeah, but MS really want developers to implement it in games, and the only way to do that is to make sure every Xbox gamer has a Kinect.
troublemaker 3 years ago
Doesn't nullify my argument though does it?
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Yep, add in a game and the camera and the prices match up between the two (Setting aside technical advantages and shortcomings for the moment at least)... however the crucial part of the equation is that PS4 actually gives you choices in the matter. What if I don't want either Kinect or FIFA(FYI, I don't... neither of them)? Why is there no version of Xbone available that doesn't force a camera I won't use on me? Most 360 owners didn't give a damn about Kinect, yet every Xbone owner will be forced to pay for it? That makes no sense at all.
More like they spent a butt load of money making the thing so they are going to shove it down everyone's throat
Is the number not like a 5th of 360 owners bought Kinect
troublemaker 3 years ago
That would mean 80% didn't buy kinect, that's definitely Kevin's "most" haha! FYI I want neither camera or Fifa. No way do I think MS paid the cash to EA to allow giving away hundreds of thousands of copies of one of their biggest franchises for free.
About time Kevin, I have no idea what is is but who cares
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
lol, I had actually been meaning to add an avatar for a while but never remembered to actually do it until I read your post Pikanox. Thanks for that.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
LoL why does no avatar bother you so much Nox? might get rid of mine now.
The Boss 3 years ago
My Opinion... I like the Fifa bundle good move, is 3 year age rating game so if you do not want to play you can give to your kids.. this bundle make the Xbone cheaper than Ps4.. the Sony camera has nothing like the new kinect.. the Ps4 headset is $0.50 china made and PS4 as per today has no game.....
troublemaker 3 years ago
Boss, are you forgetting e free copy of drive club all ps4 players will get with a PSPlus sub? I know it's not free in the box, but most will be taking a PSPlus sub with purchase for online play. Also, I have no kids that want to play FIFA :)
The Boss 3 years ago
do you have to pay for the PSPlus? Sony is already counting on 60% attach ration on that and there where they see the money...
troublemaker 3 years ago
You do, but I would also go so far as to say that almost all PS4 early adopters will subscribe. Apart from it being mandatory for online play, it would be an additional game for launch day buyers! Wouldn't you purchase a sub with a PS4?
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Drive club with PS+ is not the same as a free game with the Xbox though as you only get drive club if you pay more money for plus, also as far as I remember, it's not the exact same as the retail box copy.
The Boss 3 years ago
Yes I would buy.. but also if you buy the 12 month with MS you get free Game too.. so the free game that they are offering is not in the box they are selling is if you buy another product.. All Xbox day edition will be sold out by the end of next week and they didn't need to give a free game away.. I wonder if Sony will be so generous as they are already sold out on PS4 day one quantity.. Let's wait and see.. so far for me the Xbone has better value for money..
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Driveclub is only one of the games you'll get free day one on PS4 though. There's at least 3 others besides Driveclub that'll be there for Plus members.
troublemaker 3 years ago
But whitey, who, in their righty mind, wouldn't subscribe to it, that's kind of my point. Boss, did MS announce free games wi live on XB1? All I read about was for 360.
troublemaker 3 years ago
And I do hate to sound like a broken record, but what about those of us at think English soccer is the poorest of all games and would rather push splintered bamboo up heir anuses than play FIFA?
troublemaker 3 years ago
Poorest? Poxy autocorrect, that was supposed to say, poofiest
The Boss 3 years ago
you can use the 12 month and live points with 360 and xb1? is same account?
troublemaker 3 years ago
Yeah, but are the free live games transferable to XB1? And are MS offering free games wi live on XB1?
Not saying they are on Playstation, but I'm curious
The Boss 3 years ago
before all mess about DRM was all ok to transfer the digital right now I will have to check.. does Sony transfer the PS3 to PS4 and if yes how he does it with out DRM lock?
troublemaker 3 years ago
As far as I know, same as live, your PSPlus sub transfers across, but games don't due to lack of backwards compatibility. Pretty sure that'll be for both disc and digital, at least for the start of the cycle.
The Boss 3 years ago
ok so Sony USE a DRM but never said that or touched the argument.. well done.... rest the fact that they are not giving a Free game as yet on the sold out quantity they have? MS did not need to give, we will be sold out in a week time and giving a free game is a good generous gesture?
The Boss 3 years ago
have you seen the Sony headset that come with the box? well if you have an Iphone use that one is better than Sony one..
nehs's avatar
nehs 3 years ago
They should give us free xbox live for a year aswell :)
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Don't want much, do you?
The Boss 3 years ago
I played Drive club on PS4 and then GT5 on PS3 at E3 and I will keep my PS3 .. Drive Club was Shite.. wonder way is free LOL
The Boss 3 years ago
Then jumped on Forza on XboxOne and GT5 has a big competitor...
troublemaker 3 years ago
I don't understand how Sony not allowing backwards compatibility is a bad thing when they were clear about it from the start. At least they have said they will try to allow the playing of previous titles with Gaikai (However it is implemented is just for us to guess) until its announced, I wouldn't hold my breath for a free copy of EAs biggest selling franchise with your Xbox though. If I'm wrong, I'll hold up my hands and say I was wrong, but I just don't see it! Of course, if it turns out to be FIFA, we're back to it being less than useless for me.
troublemaker 3 years ago
You played a demo that has been universally shat on? And wonder why it's crap. Evolution have already said is weeks playable demo will be a fairer representation of the game.
The Boss 3 years ago
EA is the official Microsoft Sponsor.. EA can't sponsor Sony PS4... I'm expecting Fifa bundle for Day one Edition and BF4 after the day one edition is sold out... ;-)
The Boss 3 years ago
if not BF4 will be then Forza... this is just my Opinion...
The Boss 3 years ago
Forza for Age Rating.. I can't see MS making a bundle for 18+ age rating gamers.. and Forza like Fifa is 3+ age rating
troublemaker 3 years ago
Surely you can see the flaw there though, right? Sponsoring is one thing, handing out free copies to all Xbox owners, effectively negating sales on an entire platform, isn't financially viable for any company.
The Boss 3 years ago
are you saying that you do not believe that will be Fifa?
troublemaker 3 years ago
Not for one second. And if it is, it'll be cut down in some way. I'm happy to be proven wrong, and if its true, I'll tip my hat to MS for the job they do. BUT, I would be far more expectant of a third party Kinect game to justify and encourage the kinect
The Boss 3 years ago
Pls tomorrow come and tip your hat to me :-) .... ups I said too much...
Haha! You're only down the road, I'll gladly pop by
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
But isn't it just the day one editions? so when they sell out, you won't get a free game for buying the next batch of consoles.
The Boss 3 years ago
you are welcome.. but also the hat to MS.. they are listening to users , they are been extra generous when they do not need too and they are not using user comments as form of advertisement against the competitor....
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
EA probably concocted the idea more than MS, so that they have more people playing ultimate team and therefore raking in more cash.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
But David that doesn't mean it's good it's only competition is PES which hasn't even improved since PS2, which is sad as on PS2 I loved PES and Hated Fifa but now I just hate them both as well as all sports game.
troublemaker 3 years ago
That's a pretty unfair slant to take against Sony. You got to at least admit, they are listening to their users too, the difference is, they listened before they revealed a bunch of stuff that was guaranteed to piss of a large portion of their userbase! I'm looking forward to the free game details when they come from MS, but seeing how their last few announcements have gone, there will be an almighty catch attached, I'm positive.
troublemaker 3 years ago
Thanks for your input David, invaluable as always!
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Free copy of Fifa 14 if you buy a 12 month Xbox LIVE sub with your Xbox One
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
It wouldn't surprise me if MS deliberately F'ed up their reveal so they could reverse everything and look like the good guys.
The Boss 3 years ago
"troublemaker" this is what you see.. until one hour before the E3 press.. ( I have already said that) The Ps4 was supposed to come included the camera, they turn back.. in 1 hour, all publishers been coding games with use of the camera Under Sony instruction and in 1 hour they said: Sorry you been wasting money in development we took the camera off pls take all the functionality off.. then all of the sudden the camera is not important.. of course is not we just want to be cheaper than MS, let's take some bits off...
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
I'm happy to be able to choose whether I want the camera or not. I choose not.
The Boss 3 years ago
Imerle is fine you choose not butif you add the camera and the Fifa and the proper headset the PS4 is over priced than the xb1.. and to be honest sony camera is Shite like the headset so I would prefer to not have it either.. :-)
The Boss 3 years ago
we should have told Sony to take the head set off too, but unfortunately is $0.50 so not too much of a saving...
The Boss 3 years ago
David the Fifa 14 could be free with the machine, you will not need to buy the 12 month..
troublemaker 3 years ago
Not to argue, I am genuinely curious. What is it that makes the Sony camera shite? To me, both the eye and kinect represent a desperate struggle to capture a piece of the motion gaming market. A market that even Nintendo seem to be pulling away from. But from all accounts, the pseye is pretty functional. What makes it shite?
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
The tech and features on PS Eye are nowhere near on par with Kinect.
troublemaker 3 years ago
Doesn't necessarily make it shite though it? I mean from a real world standpoint, what makes the kinect better? The ability to read your heartbeat is all well and good, but how does that get factored into games that improves them for me. ( note, I said GAME, not crappy fitness shovel ware) I'm not asking about the tech, the kinect is clearly the better tech, but what advantage does one give me over the other?
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
It's a long shot but think of horror games, they could do something like it reads your heartbeat and makes the music and atmosphere more intense depending on how scared you are or something. I'm sure there are some talented developers out there that will find something new and cool to do with it.
troublemaker 3 years ago
I hope so. I hate the idea of wasted tech.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
I don't see this benefitting XBOX really. It's a good idea, and it's good for all XBOXers buying it to get this free copy of FIFA. BUT anyone who wants a console to play FIFA will already have bought it on PS3/360 and will buy it on next gen. If they get it for free, they'll be happy, but it's not a system mover. Just a nice 'hey, have this' sort of thing.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
I don't know what people see in FIFA but it was number 1 in the charts for many months. The next gen version of FIFA 14 will be the one to get with the new IGNITE thing and if not jumping to next gen then may best keep on with FIFA 13, as chances are FIFA 14 will be just like FIFA 13 like FIFA 13 was no different to FIFA 12 on Wii. If you do not want FIFA 14 then you can just sell it, as it took ages for FIFA 13 to drop price, and still maintained top in the charts many months after release whilst at full price.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
TONY, I actually agree with you.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
If they do give you a free copy of the game, it be more than likely be a digital download version, seeing as MS was trying to push digital games so much, and plus then you won't be able to trade it in and gain money from a free game.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Fifa 12 on wii same as fifa 13? Lol. Fifa is top of the charts all the time as it is one of the most accesable and fun games out there.
robioto's avatar
robioto 3 years ago
If true this is huge for MS, it will shift thousands more consoles to the casual COD & Fifa player. Me though? I'm a gamer, I'll be getting the PS4 still, but with Fifa anyway.