Sony PS4 pre-orders highest in 20 years of business

Fergal Gara, Sony Computer Entertainment's UK and Ireland managing director has revealed that Sony's pre-order numbers in the UK are the highest they've seen in 20 years in the business.

"Andy [House] quoted a number last night for pre-orders, in fact he quoted a low end number, he said 'in excess of'", Gara told GamesIndustry International this morning.

"The UK represents a significant proportion of that, we're talking unprecedented levels of pre-orders that we haven't seen in 20 years in this business.

"There's nothing better in any form of business than when customers are rewarding you with their custom and it's absolutely true to say, particularly since E3, gamers have been rewarding us with their commitment and their pre-orders," added Gara.

"We don't allow ourselves to get in any way smug or complacent but yes we are confident, and that's a good place to be."

Edited On 21 Aug, 2013

Comments
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
Yet they still feel the need to shaft us on release dates.
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
2 weeks is hardly shafting.
Neo-Saiyan's avatar
Neo-Saiyan 3 years ago
@iMerle iDixon Count yourself lucky because Japan, the home of Sony, birthplace of the PlayStation hasn't even got a release date yet! Sony are concentrating on US and EU first.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
There concentrating on EU and US first cause Japan doesnt give a crap about consoles at the moment its more about gaming on phones at the moment as Iphone has just hit it big out there recently.
Complaining about a two week wait while people like me had to wait a year to get Persona 4 Arena and Anarchy Reigns. Not like you will be bored for those two weeks, patience is a virtue
Neo-Saiyan's avatar
Neo-Saiyan 3 years ago
@Bindiana That's partly true, also don't forget in the land of the rising sun, the Xbox brand is no threat to Sony/PlayStation, the Xbox does so poorly over there that Sony doesn't even consider them a competitor.
Mezzer_1's avatar
Mezzer_1 3 years ago
Two weeks is good. Remember the days of jap console being released in Japan first and the UK waiting 6 months!!, now that's being shafted! PS3 was in japan a few months before Europe ! This is good news!
Joey B's avatar
Joey B 3 years ago
I'm glad Sony are doing so well. I won't be getting a PS4 probably for a couple of years, until Naughty Dog have one or two games out on it. I will be getting an Xbox One at launch though. I prefered the 360 to the PS3 and I will remain with Microsoft for the start of the Next Gen .... But like I said, I'm glad Sony are doing well, I'm not a microsoft fanboy, PS4 has some good exclusives, Xbox One has some good exclusives. I like to see both companies do well, I hate all the shit you see online from people trying to downgrade the others console and their customers. Just be happy with what you're getting.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Well this is no surprise at all to be honest, obviously gaming is much bigger than it used to be, pretty much every house has a console these days. So of course pre-orders are going to be bigger than ever.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
A million sounds conservative if the launch day stock is already sold out.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Considering that certain stores such as Game have actually retracted the statement that there is no stock for launch makes me think that either they got a ton more stock from Sony or it was simply scaremongering for more sales.
w1ll p0wer's avatar
w1ll p0wer 3 years ago
People are quick to forget just how naff the PS3 is. I've had mine for years and it's basically a glorified Blu-ray player. I play my Xbox 360 every day. I'm sticking with Microsoft.
Well I have hardly touched my 360 for games since I got a PS3 last year. Only reason I'm playing it right now is cos the West never got Tales of Vesperia (PS3)
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Naff Lol
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
Shut up.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
No one reply to him...
Tim 3 years ago
Microsoft have lost their identity, ever since E3 they have done nothing but lie, backtrack, and constantly change things with the Xbox One, and their E3 conference was a complete shambles, with Sony delivering a death blow. A lot of Xbox fanboy's have been calling the PS3 is just a glorified blu ray player, but what is the Xbox One? to me its a confused console that doesn't know what it is, to me it just a glorified entertainment box, why would I want a games console that does all that stuff when I already have Sky for watching TV, Netflix etc, I want a games console that puts the gamer first and knows what it is, Sony won me over at E3 because they knew what they were targeting unlike Microsoft.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
"Considering that certain stores such as Game have actually retracted the statement that there is no stock for launch" - Oh? Could I get a link to a source on this information? Last I looked everywhere is still refusing to guarantee launch availability.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
"A lot of Xbox fanboy's have been calling the PS3 is just a glorified blu ray player, but what is the Xbox One? " - A very expensive Sky TV receiver box from the looks of it :/
They have all but said that on Twitter
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
http://playstationnews.game.co.uk/ps4-faq/ It says that Sony have not confirmed there stock allocation yet.
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 3 years ago
Those feeling sad over November 29, 2013 need to think positive. I mean it ain't 2014 like Xbone