Microsoft abandons MS Points in new Xbox Update

Microsoft has released a dashboard update for the Xbox 360, bringing minor cosmetic changes and a significant adjustment to the long running Microsoft Points system. The update has been released across all 41 regions globally.

Adjustments made within the update bring the Xbox 360 more in line with the Xbox One's cosmetic feel with a changed layout and new dialog boxes. MS has also included the usual performance updates, hoping to provide for a smoother dashboard experience.

Microsoft points have now been converted to your local currency. Woohoo! Microsoft new system  is similar to the PlayStation Store's "Wallet" system. Users will be notified when the updates are available in their region, and following the download, will be guided through the currency conversion process relating to their respective location.

Edited On 27 Aug, 2013

Comments
Does this mean you can pay exact money for a download now, or do you still have to buy credit in blocks.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Does anybody know the conversion rates yet as if I remember in the Beta people were losing out in the exchange.
Check the Friday chat page, Nox posted something about it on there over the weekend.
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
yes you can pay exact coinage for things now. and beta testers didnt loose out, as state of decay was £13.49, and 1600msp is £14 something.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
I am not keen on this conversion as it means paying more money per item if you pay directly. As I stated in this news article http://www.shopto.net/news/43672/Home-Gold-confined-to-one-console-MS-confirms-points-replaced-with-cash Minecraft was the equivalent of £13.60, now it is £13.49 so prices are slightly better, but buying points from retailers it would have cost me £12.57. I just hope that MS allow retailers to sell value cards at a discount, like shopto are currently doing with PSN cards. It is better for people who want to do not buy much off the marketplace, but for those that do, the extra remaining stored points, do not last long! Also it easier to judge the cost and do not need to calculate in your head the conversion costs - If you see £13.49 you know it is £13.49, but 1600 points was £13.60 on MS prices, but about £12.57 if bought points from retailers. An annoying thing after this update is that my console is not shutting off properly now - it sticks like it is downloading something in the background when it is not, so then have to turn console back on, and then turn it off again for it to shut off properly. I cleared cache on all drives but that did not work.
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
i mean for the sake of what i buy i really dont care for a quid all that much tbh. if you really wanted to test, buy 1600 points and add em to your account and report back how much it puts in your account. the annoying thing now, is not having split transactions, so if im a penny short in my account i cant just pay that extra penny...
Checked it out last night, content prices seem to be up almost 10%, whereas any MS points you have convert at just above 12% more than there original worth. So, there's a 2-3% saving to be had by buying up any MS points cards you can get your hands on, but ultimately we are worse off under the new system.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Well not going to be to big a deal for me going to buy Turtles this week that should take up much of my balance and probably never add any more as dont play my xbox much nowadays.
Know what you mean, my gold is due to expire middle of next month and I won't be renewing it, play online more on Wii U and 3DS, and not really bothered about demos or games for fold or any of that shit.