Tuesday Chat - August 27th

Hello everyone! Joe has disappeared for a holiday this week, allowing me, Colin, to take the reigns again. Yeeeeeeehaw!

So how has everyone been? Good Bank Holiday weekend? Played any of the newly released games?

Over the weekend I completed the thoroughly enjoyable Splinter Cell Blacklist. I had almost forgotten it and so went into it with almost zero hype. It turned out to be one of the best games I've played in recent months with the feeling of an old Splinter Cell title mixed with a really good episode of 24.

Sure, Sam Fisher appears to have the same ageing disorder that Benjamin Button had, but once you get past the character changes the game really becomes one of the best stealth gaming experiences of this generation.

Played it yet?

Edited On 27 Aug, 2013

Comments
Not played it, not planning too, heard bad things about it though, mainly that it's too dark, I've seen several people saying that even with the brightness turned all the way up it was still too dark to see anything sometimes. I played the Wonderful 101 mainly over the weekend, fantastic game, also started SR4 off before my TV died, kind of glad it did though, have been seering plenty of people have 100%ed it already, which is bloody quick, so want to make it last, till Friday at least when I've got Killer is Dead coming.
Apocalyptic Spirit's avatar
Apocalyptic Spirit 3 years ago
I'm still making my way through Blacklist but am really enjoying it so far. It feels like it has the little interactive elements of Chaos Theory and of course, incorporates Stealth gameplay once more which is a welcome return for me - being a massive fan of the original trio of titles. SvM does that in its own right! Would love to see some classic maps brought back though!
Colin (News Writer)'s avatar
Colin (News Writer) 3 years ago
Gloria - I was playing the PC version through my TV and I had to put the brightness up to maximum within the game. There were a couple of occasions where it did seem a little too dark.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I have splinter cell at home still in the wrapper. I started saints row 4 but couldn't really get into it so the majority time was spent playing CoD and getting annoyed at people not playing the objective started a game of domination I was the only one capturing the home flag the rest just run of with snipers jumping of stuff and around in circles.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
played a bit of saints row ok but much of the same , was impressed with xcom after some of the bad reviews really enjoying it , plays a bit like mass effect and the 60s setting is great . might start splinter cell today another note 3 weeks till GTA roll on waiting is killing me know
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
so i cant use symbols in the comments. huh. anyhoo, im not all that impressed with saints 4. some brilliant campaign missions, and a laugh in co-op but sub 20 hrs to 100 percent it....
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Rayman Legends getting brilliant reviews then.
So did Origins, and it still sold like crap.
Finished Tales of Vesperia last night. 54 Hours 10 Minute. It's such an amazing game that I'm thinking about jumping right into Ex New Game on Unknown mode (After I farm some GRADE,get some costumes first & beat the last boss again)
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Not read much about saints row 4 but did it not start out as an expansion that they later decided to release as a full game? I completed X com and really enjoyed it and have been playing through Splinter Cell only done two story missions but been doing the other missions. Also is it not meant to be dark with it being a stealth game and cant you just use the night vision goggles? I have not had any issues with the darkness but then again I am not that far into it.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
Nearly platinumed Saints Row 4 already, just need to play for 40 hours, I've been finishing a lot of games too quick recently I think I need to get into an MMO or something that just doesn't end, anyone tried that Final Fantasy 14 MMO?
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Very impressive iMerle.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
Thanks :)
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Yeah I have been playing FF14 its quite good. Got my collectors edition today so after my exam tomorrow thats the rest of my week sorted. If anyone else gets it I you should all join the phoenix server.
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
Spent the whole bank holiday weekend at the in-laws so my Vita got a good bit of action, must've charged it ten times. Now one trophy away from a plat on Soul Sacrifice, smashed the Killzone Mercs Beta(can't believe how good this looks and plays!) and bought Hotline Miami which is mental fun...
My copy from Amazon was dispatched over the weekend so I should have it by Friday. If I open it or not depends on how much I get into Vesperia
Why is it that each time Valued Opinions offers £1 for a survey I can't log in
Whitey 3 years ago
Because they don't value your opinions.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Anyone played disneys infinite i like the look of it its just the figures are abit pricey.
Go buy Toy Story 3 Tootell then if you like that jump on Infinity
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Got it for my sister for her birthday it looks ok not really got a chance to try it through, just wish there were more classic disney characters.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I'll buy toy story 3 then :D
Anyone here played Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin? It's on a Deal of the Week over at Play-Asia
Whitey 3 years ago
Zombie, are you actually enjoying FF14? It looks terrible by the gameplay videos, not worth the monthly sub when GW2 is much better with no sub. Also, have you seen Everquest Next? looks pretty awesome so far.
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I have it Nox it is quite good, sure I got it cheaper on Amazon.
Judging by the Beta FF14 is quite good but having a monthly sub when other games of similar quality don't hurt it in my opinion. I'll see for myself if it's worth it when I play it, if not it goes on Ebay
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I am enjoying it so far I like that you are able to change class anytime you want and the duty finder for finding dungeons is so much easier than in GW2 (only done 2 in GW2 as i struggled to find groups). I do prefer the fighting style of Guild wars of FF which is more like traditional world of warcraft though I do prefer to have the healer/ tank/ DPS. I was looking forward to Wildstar but that looks like it could be coming out the same time roughly as the elder scrolls online which I will be getting for the xbox one.
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
As long as they continually update it and make it worth the while to have the monthly fee I wont mind.
£17 New on the marketplace and £10 Used from Zoverstocks on the Marketplace (I have had good experiences with them, taking games back no fuss or even sending out new copys)
Whitey 3 years ago
Yeah that's the one thing I didn't really like in GW2 is there's no tank, healer and DPS, although it is good everyone being able to heal themselves and revive people. It's pretty easy to get a dungeon group in GW2 though, even if your server is dead you can look on gw2lfg.com to get a group together seeing as you can group with people cross-server. WildStar and ESO looks miles better than FF14 so I probably won't bother with FF14 and just stick to GW2 and WoW for now.
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
The only thing that is a bit rubbish about ESO is there is no cross play that would make it so much better.
Whitey 3 years ago
MS has revealed full details of the day one games now: http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/games-day-one not really that great but I'll probably still get the Forza 5 and DR3 ones
Whitey 3 years ago
I think cross-play would probably ruin the game, definitely the PVP side of it. I'd prefer to just play with PC players than have console players with me. Also, have to say that Nick looks pretty badass in that Frank outfit.
What's the story like? Tbh that's the main reason I will play it (I don't like people, I can barely tolerate talking to you lot)
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Couple of question has anyone seen a release date for Final Fantasy X HD collection or South Park stick of truth. Also what happened to rainbow six patriots?
WTF did they do to Frank West?
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Rainbow six is still in the works but looks like it will be next gen. Do not think any of the day ones are worth the extra £10 so will stick here rather than going to game. Its not quite Frank just the DR3 guy in a costume. Was just thinking if it had crossplay there would be more players which would be better in the long run. Also has anyone else seen the video of the new kinect sports? THe game itself does not look that great but the character that the kinect created by scanning the person doing it was pretty impressive.
Whitey 3 years ago
Gloria, it's not actually Frank, just Nick in the same outfit.
FF14 has cross-play does it not
Yeah between PS3 and PC, was meaning for ESO between xbox one, PS4, PC and MAC
Oh and what does it matter if the person you are playing with is on Console? I'm sure ESO will have the option to use a Keyboard and Mouse
on console (I hate when this website auto-submits when I'm typing)
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Just some people think that if you use a controller you are automatically going to be beaten by someone using mouse and keyboard which really just wouldn't happen. Especially with ESO as they are going for a play style similar to Skyrim which works just as well with a controller I find.
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Some good sales on Xbox Live just now for Rockstar games. http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-15947-Huge-Rockstar-Sale-Hits-XBL.html Also GAME have now apparently sold out of xbox one day one editions as well now.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Was a busy weekend for me. Mainly been playing W101, as frustrating it is I'm loving it too since I'm feeling rewarded when I do finish a level. Also finished Pokemon White 2, and Fire Emblem Awakening late last week. And yesterday we had a 3DS Meet, got some progress in the streetpass games and had a great time.
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 3 years ago
Was planing to play some FFXIV today, but look like I will be busy today also :(
Whitey 3 years ago
It matters because it would be unfair (especially in PVP) to play against console users on PC. Yes while controllers are good for most games, when it comes to MMO's a keyboard and mouse with macro's, loads more buttons and much higher control/sensitivity with mouse is just much better than a controller with limited buttons and customizability. Imagine trying to play WoW on a controller, it would be an absolute nightmare, though of course ESO does not have as much keybinds as WoW. But I still don't think you could compete at the same level using a controller on console.
Whitey 3 years ago
Also, the console versions will probably be slightly cut down versions with less players on-screen and in the same server. On PC everyone is in the same server, but I highly doubt it will be the same for consoles.
I don't really care ether way tbh. The majority of my time playing ESO with be exploring in first person,how awesome would it be to be exploring Dwemer ruins and happening across some players fighting a centurion
Whitey 3 years ago
Well you might want to stay away from PVP then, can pretty much guarantee you will suck bad if you PVP in first person view. To be fair I'm surprised people are buying ESO for console, thought most people would not be happy having to pay for Xbox LIVE/PSN and a sub for the game on top.
Don't plan on doing PVP (Maybe I'll play on PVP severs just to hit people with a random poison arrow every once in a while). People did pay for FF11 sub on console
Whitey 3 years ago
If only you were getting it on PC, we could do some PVP :)
I will be getting it on PC
Whitey 3 years ago
Oh, thought you were getting it on console like Zombie. Then again you're not getting PS4 or Xbox one are you?
Whitey 3 years ago
To be honest, I don't even know if I'll be getting it. I do want to try it out, but with WildStar coming out pretty much the same time, while also still playing GW2 and maybe WoW, I don't really think I'll have time for it, or pay another sub even. Plus Everquest Next looks good and is free-to-play.
Nope not getting a PS4 for a year or so and not getting a Xbox One for "Undecided amount" years
Whitey 3 years ago
Shame, you wont get to play online with David.
I'm real heartbroken about that