Both PS4 and Xbox One will remotely download new content

Both Sony and Microsoft this week have confirmed that their next generation consoles will wake up to remotely download new content when requested to do so.

PlayStation 4 will wake up when it detects you've bought content via the web, Playstation Vita or smart phone apps, Sony's Shuhei Yoshida stated on Twitter earlier this week.

Microsoft's Marc Whitten also confirmed this feature was also available on Xbox One. While on low power mode it will continue to download games and updates to remain always up to date, he said.

Edited On 30 Aug, 2013

Comments
GQRDY's avatar
GQRDY 3 years ago
cool , there's so many times I've wanted to be able to do this
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
So both consoles are always connected and pinging the servers? even if you turn them of they will be on stand by? We knew was the case of Xbox One.. But did Sony said that PS4 was not always connected?
It's a option not a requirement. Personally when I'm not playing my consoles I take the plug out
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
so every time you have to take the Plug off? we should start selling Plugs with remote control ... LOL
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
All sony said is you can play your games without connecting to the internet same as PS3 now the xbox you had to connect every day or else the game wouldnt load.
I sit right next to my plugs so I wouldn't need one Lol. I have a 10 Meter extension lead plugged into the other side of the room
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
Nox" hope you have house insurance for fire LOL :-) Joking..
Been using it for over a year, if I was going to die in a horrible house fire I already would have
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
Boss, this is not an "Always online" thing. Your console won't ping anything. Instead, it'll use magic packet to wake the machine up. the complete reverse of what you are suggesting. It'll be sent from the server, directed at your machine's MAC Address to wake it up to auto download. Also, I guarantee that there will be the option to switch off the ability in the system settings.
& so the elusive Brooker returns
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
Not at all. Saw the comment and really thought that it needed explaining (because clearly the MS and Sony PR didn't do a good job) I'm gone again.
Awwww
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
Seems like a good idea. I normally turn off my consoles when I leave (as they're all hooked together) but I currently have my brother's fish tank hooked up to the system so it needs to stay on whilst I fish sit. However, this feature may may make me think twice about unplugging the PS4/router. Guess I'll have to see how often I'm likely to use it, especially as I tend to do most of my downloading overnight for the faster bandwidth and cheaper leccy rates. Very cool, nonetheless
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Just make sure they dont hear you say you wanted to turn them off they might not let you.
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
I knew the machines would eventually rise up, I just never thought it would begin with a gaming console...
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
troublemaker" look to me that you know all about the PS4? just because the option is there does not mean that will not check what you are doing and playing? actually I will be able to see from your PSN gametag what game you are playing, that means that Sony have a lot more info's about you and your preferences etc etc..
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
Brooker @Brooker411 Having to break my "no posting on shopto news forums" Morons LOL
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
You didn't seriously just do that did you? I actually logged in to try and bring some of my actual real world experience and expertise to the site and explain how this system will work, and you do that? Wow. Cheers.
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
troublemaker" come on .. I'm just laughing about it not that bother me...
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
Am I missing a back story here?
Do what?
troublemaker's avatar
troublemaker 3 years ago
There was no need what so ever to copy paste my tweet in there. I ignored the obvious baiting with "you know all about PS4" but that was completely uncalled for and pulled completely out of context. I legitimately logged in to try and help out and enlighten and that's how I'm thanked? Yeah, I think not. I'm genuinly shocked that it played out like that, I won't be back.
Sad to hear
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Starting to wonder why i even bother on here anymore.
Mildly awesome's avatar
Mildly awesome 3 years ago
So it take pretty much what the ps3 does with the downloading up dates and backing up your save that extra little step further, Sounds good to me.
Give it till the "WAR" is over and the new consoles are released
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
troublemaker" As you I came here and share my 20 years knowledge of the game industry and I get thanked with your tweet "Morons. "' II really have to laugh about it... really sorry I had to copy and paste ...LOL
screaming chief's avatar
screaming chief 3 years ago
Troublemaker, its Friday afternoon, lets just laugh this one off shall we ? Appears you and "the boss" have differing takes on the "always on" specifics.Everyone made a big fuss of the Xbox One needing to be "always on" etc so things like "remote awakening" are always going to bring varying opinions of whether that means the console is, even in its lowest powered state, technically still "on".For me its just a potentially useful feature and I wont lose my load, whether either/both consoles end up needing to be "always on" with a firmware update 3 months after launch.To my mind, its feature set whould be the most useful they can be, to me, the end user, whether that means they are "always on" or not.Have a peaceful weekend guys.
There is "Always On" and then there is "Always Online". There is a big difference, nothing is "Always On" ......... well except your fridge
Oh dear, can you try and drive some undesirables away next time please Boss, like kevin or David.
Swap out Kevin (I kinda like Kevin) for a certain someone
Whitey? I almost added him to the list. ;)
No not Whitey, Whitey is fun
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Thought my ears were burning.
You should get that looked at mate
Must be TONY then.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
I'm taking a day off today because it's my birthday.. I'll be back to hating tomorrow :)
Happy Birthday you thud
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Cheers dude. Got my new keyboard and mouse today, now I have to learn a new keyboard again because it feels weird. Was same last time took me about a week to get used to that MS keyboard.
I know the feeling
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
Gloria " It was not my intention to drive troublemaker away.. I like debating.. from the tweet I copy and pasted above, he already was away and he come back for me:-)) but then he decide to go away again.. you guys can tell me more why he left days ago.. ??
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
Happy Birthday "Whitey" :-)
The bottom line is that he cba with all the fanboy/girl-ism that has been going on here for a while
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
PikaNox Shame because we will start to see a lot of improvements on our social... Next week we should see Live chat option between friends.... and more.. :-)
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Thanks Boss. Nice to see some improvements coming, live chat may be good.
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
Gametag will be useful ?
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
If it "must be me" then I clearly am misunderstood. I do not see why as I like the Wii U and can appreciate Wonderful 101. and I like games like Tales of Vesperia / Xilia etc. If PS4 gets those games then I will get a PS4, but right now the PS4 has none of these RPGs, but the Xbox ONE has some games I like. I am no Xbox ONE fanboy as after hearing about the DRM I wanted nothing to do with it and looked hard and long at the PS4, but could not see any exclusive game I liked. troublemaker could make some valiid reasonable comments but it is lost through anger / annoyance tone and being called an idiot which gets you worked up and respond defensely and in annoyance too, instead of think "Yeah you could be right" I had the thought of staying away too, but my new approach is to just post what I think, and if it causes negative responses then ignore. If the responses are reasonable then I may agree with it and / or carry on conversation.
I'm only messing Tony, tbh I like the face-palming moments I have reading your comments (J/K)