Jack Tretton PS4 "has three key advantages" over Xbox One

Sony's PlayStation America boss, Jack Tretton, has said that PS4 has "three key advantages" over Xbox One, "power, price and games."

Speaking in an interview with Fox Business [via], Tretton said, "We've got the most powerful machine on the market; $100 cheaper than our competition; and most importantly, the biggest, most diverse exclusive line-up of any platform ever launched, and that's what's really going to drive the sales for us in the long term."

Tretton also said that he feels Sony is "at an all-time high right now", due to its focus on its business and what consumers want.

"We see competitors come and go. We've had formidable competition in the past, we'll have formidable competition going forward. You get laser-focussed on your business vision and you execute what the gamers want."

PlayStation 4 arrives on November 15 in the US and November 29 in the UK and Europe.

What do you think of Mr Tretton's comments.

Edited On 12 Sep, 2013

Comments
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
Power: the difference is negligible. Devs have already confirmed this. Price: $100 cheaper, until you make it a comparable bundle. Games: This is the dealbreaker, its all down to personal choice. Realistically, get whichever platform your friends are getting.
Robert Callum 3 years ago
As an Xbox Fan, i'm not going to go and spill my 2 cents on this and cause as argument. But the way i see it, it's all down to preference. The power won't be required until a good many years down the line and the price is comparable if those who buy the PS4 require the eye toy as well, and if MS released the Xbox without Kinect then the prices would be identical. And the games.. that is literally all down to what sort of games you prefer, personally i prefer Halo over Killzone for example. This makes me go for Xbox, just due to preference.
Garg27's avatar
Garg27 3 years ago
Unbiased, logical and sensible opinion? How deeply refreshing! You are right on one point though, it's solely about the games and what your friends are all going to buy this time around. They are both great machines and I can't wait to get my hands on one.
Crunch70's avatar
Crunch70 3 years ago
Im Going Space, fantastic answer that is spot on get the console that you prefer games wise/your mates are getting. Add camera etc to the PS4 and you are paying pretty much the same as an Xbox One! I am getting Xbox One (big Forza/Kinect fitness fan) my brother is getting PS4 (Vita owner) we both own 360 and PS3 so are getting the systems we prefer as nothing much in them!!
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Yes but xbox is making you pay for something a lot of people dont want Playstation is giving you the choice. So the bundle argument only works if someone wants Kinect and PS eye on there console. In my eyes I dont want a kinect I have one on a 360 used it for a week and not used it since so PS4 will always be cheaper for my needs.
Martyn 3 years ago
Regarding the comment on power of "The Difference is negligible" It's not, it can actually do a hell of a lot when it comes to games like Killer Instinct on Xbox One can only run at 30fps, where as the better memory in the PS4 should, theoretically, have been able to produce 60FPS. In certain instances the power could be a big difference between two version of the same game. However, PS3 had a ton more power than Xbox when used correctly. Over the start and middle of this generation, about 4 games used it, and as we end the generation only now are companies really pulling out the last bits of power Despite a more comfortable architecture of the next gen machines for developers, I imagine it will be the same. Both will be treated as equal, and built as equal versions of games (minus console exclusive DLC, obviously), only as we near the end will we really see just how much difference the power makes. Personally, I'm just excited to see what the exclusive companies do for each console, cause both will be loaded with great games. Cant lose with either console really, so I'm getting both.
Alex 3 years ago
I feel like except for titanfall xbox exclusives are weak, halo isnt out for ages anyway, but ii can get tianfall for xbox 360. Im getting ps4 as ps plus is superb and i feel like sony care about you while microsoft dont care (drm, offline gaming) and such, thats why its good to go with sony long term
NOCTORNUS's avatar
NOCTORNUS 3 years ago
I love the comments such as "I won't enter into an argument over this by posting my thoughts...but the way I see it is this....." Heh heh heh... For me though don't give a crap..like xbox one? good for you, like ps4? good for you getting one or both, good for you.. who cares its a piece of consumer electronics and theres more to life than my toy is better than your toy. I am getting both as an avid gamer, but as an adult I don't care if one has something the other does not. Oh wait, the xbox one has a more glossy black paint over PS4's matte black colour, hah take that PS4 with your sucky black matte paint, gloss is way better ... we win!!
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
One thing that's for sure is that the extreme competitiveness between Sony and MS in the build up to the next gen launches has very much been to the benefit of us the consumer. Sony has pulled out all the stops to try and make their product the more attractive option at a lower price and listening to the consumer's wishes while xbox fans must admit that thanks to Sony, their next console isn't going to be released with the most dreadful and devious policies ever known in gaming console history. As a soon to be proud owner of a PS4 on release day I also am under no illusions that if it wasn't for Microsoft's influence in the gaming market I wouldn't be getting as good a product for as good a price(taking into account inflation, the PS4 is a lot cheaper than the PS3 was on release). I also want to give a special thank you to Xbox Live, with out it the amazing PS+ constantly providing me with great games for about £3 a month probably wouldn't exist...
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
on that not, the original policies weren't bad. ever used steam? same principle. ever wonder why PC games are cheaper? simply put they failed to market it.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
It's all just down to preference really for me I will be getting both
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I think there main issue was the lack of being able to explain it properly. If they wanted to be online all the time they should have clearly listed all the benefits of doing so.
PC games are cheaper cos there are no royalty's paying to the manufacturer & if I'll repost this: " A console shouldn't need a constant internet connection, if someone wants to take the console away to a Caravan/Oil Rig/Iraq or even sit on the roof of their house with a giant extension cable and have no Internet access they should be able too"
Consoles are meant to be convenient, the original Xbox One policy's weren't
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
But if it was advertised as being online from the get go then I don't see the issue. It would be like me wanting to play FF14 in the caravan but not being able to because I have no Internet. Besides all these issues could be solved if you had a wireless dongle for it if you really wanted to.
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
Indeed Nox. Gotta admit, the (now relieved of his duties) president of MS Entertainment's comments in regard to people working on nuclear subs who play xbox made me chortle... "fortunately we have a product for people who aren’t able to get some form of connectivity – it’s called Xbox 360"... brilliant
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 3 years ago
I can't comment on the power as I don't know enough about it, but IMO Jack Tretton is correct about the price and the games. The price is good and it's nice to have the option of getting the PS4 camera. I probably won't get the camera with my PS4 at launch but its something I may get a later date. I prefer Sony's launch line up of games and I know Infamous Second Son is out February 2014, so not long into next year. Like I said earlier it's all just people opinions. I have an Xbox One pre-ordered too but I'm considering cancelling it but will wait closer to release date before I decide. Titanfall interests me but unless I'm mistaken it isn't due out till Q2 2014.
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
Do dongle's work on submarines? Or if you took your console on holiday with you, how much would the bolt ons cost? :p Surely you shouldn't have to pay internet fees just to play games offline which you've already paid for?
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
I'm sure a few years down the next gen life both systems will have fantastic games and I would hope the more sensible gamers will choose based on their preference in games, not what console will have the best graphics. The thing that always makes me chuckle with Sony is instead of spending their time giving us information on how/if they have improved things like their network, they spend it with attacking Microsoft for their mistakes or like now .. "We have the most powerful system" sorry this won't wash forever Sony.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Both launch lineups are abysmal. But to give it credit Microsft do have Dead Rising
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
I agree with you there Robichoico that launch line ups are very uninspiring on both sides. Dead rising doesnt do it for me so not a big deal for me. The only thing I am interested in at Launch is Knack but its not really got a wow factor to it.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
i actually cancelled my ps4 pre order yesterday because the only intresting game that is coming exclusivly to next gen is knack.
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
I was gonna go with AC4 or Watchdogs as my launch game but after watching a recent video of Killzone online in action I decided on that instead. I realised that when I un-wrap the console for the first time and boot it up I want something easy to pick up and play that sounds great booming out of my sound system as well as rich in action which shows off the next gen graphics in a big way. I'll then move swiftly on to one of the aforementioned games for serious play.
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
You did a good thing Tootell, some other desperate soul who was previously going to have to wait a while longer will now get the good news that they'll be receiving their console on release day ;)
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 3 years ago
First of all, I don't trust M$ engineers. Failrate of X360 was tremendous, so this time around there's a huge vent on top of the console. Another "brilliant" technical decision. Vents never placed on top in consumer electronics for a reason. Imagine that you left your Xbone for a week and that dust cloud that will be in the air the moment after you say "XBOX - ON!" New Kinect has vents on 4 of it's sides - wtf? -- Exclusive games it's all good, but 1/2 or more of future game library will be multiplatform games and this time around PlayStation will have an edge in this. However insufficient raw power advantage could be, I'll choose game version with 2, 5 or 10 frames per second more any day over less. -- Something else to think about: at least 2 Xbone exclusives have questionable exclusivity, and zero PS4's. -- I bet TGS will bring couple of surprises too...
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Considering I will be getting about 5 launch titles and even more of the launch window games, I consider this launch by Sony to be perfectly fine, considering the quality of the games too.
karatepete's avatar
karatepete 3 years ago
Not sure which console is more powerful. .. I know the PS4 has faster memory but the architecture could slow it a little... I will be buying the PS4 because I play on playstation... but at the end on the day M $ shot themselves in the foot with their silly ideas of what they thought gamers wanted and got it badly wrong... I do know a lot of people will buy XboxOne and that's fine... at the end of the day its personal choice.. but you can't argue with the pre-order figures that PS4 will initially out sell XboxOne which is best remains to be seen... but I am sure developers will develope for the more popular console.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Well according to Microsoft, they won over 100 game awards at E3, more than PS4's 42 awards. So better game line-up is down to personal opinion.
inspector 74's avatar
inspector 74 3 years ago
This Tretton guy is pretty cool I ended up on IGN by mistake and saw an interview with him, Im just not into this machine does this meh!!!?? That machine does that meh?? I would rather of got an xbox without Kinect as its never bothered me and I would rather have a PS3 that didnt take hours to download and install games but hey who cares Day one for me im gonna say for me PS4 is edging it as I cant weight to play Knack - Im hoping its gonna be one of the games they certainly dont look like they make anymore and Killzone will be awesome (Much better exclusives on day one on the PS4 for me on the Xbox ive got just dead rising 3 and thats it as Forza is just meh!!! and Fifa 14 just doesent float my boat..........however whatever way you look at it its play time people so let the games begin
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Whitey, the main reason is Titanfall basically spanked everuthing out of the park.
screaming chief's avatar
screaming chief 3 years ago
Sony seem to be struggling to counter the resurgence in popularity/preorders that the Xbox One has deservedly been getting.They appear to have resorted to non specific opinion rather than fact, to get themselves back in the news.When Tretton says "most powerful" he could just mean that it'll increase your electric bill.Also, he says "you execute what the gamers want." So whats the score with dedicated servers on PS4 Jack ? done correctly, we know that'll play a huge part in many peoples decision as to which next gen to buy, for a certain popular title.
The fantards are out in force today ;)
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Ok maybe a dongle might not work in a submarine but do people really take consoles on holiday abroad with them fair enough the likes of the vita and ds but the 360 and PS3. What i was meaning is that if it was announced as being an online console and they did have good enough reasons for it being so that outweighed the negative then I do not think it would be such a bad thing but just now the timing is just not right for it.
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
im still struggling to see the big selling point of titanfall... it doesnt look that great to me, and i like shooters and big robots. also, i will say, that MS did actually announce a non online one for places like afghan and the likes.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I am the opposite usually put off by big robots but i reckon it looks quite good. I like how fluid the shooting looked but then i suppose all demos are made to look like that. Did not realise they had announced an offline one but again that is probably down to there terrible marketing and not explaining things.
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
I'll eventually be getting both but going for PS4 first solely as many of my friends have the PS3 and not an Xbox (and are favouring the PS4). I was under the impression that the PS4 is slightly more powerful, but how relevant or noticeable that will be *shrugs*. It will, much like the last gen, be down to the exclusive games and which of your friends own which console.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
When did they make that announcement Space have googled it but nothing is showing they announced an offline console.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
"Power" means nothing though. People said the PS3 was more powerful than the 360 but the majority of games were developed for 360 and then ported to PS3 and PC, which a lot of the times meant the 360 version was better. And no matter how many hardware enthusiasts tell you otherwise, the slight advantage PS4 has over X1 in power will hardly be noticeable, and multi-platform games will likely be the same.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
He is probably being sarcastic and referring the Don's comment, "get a 360"
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Actually Reggie came out and said a few weeks back that both of them were Meh for games. These guys do what they are paid for. Hype Train a go! Next up disappointmentville!
The power difference between the Xbone and PS4 will be about as noticeable as it is between the Xbone/PS4 and 360.PS3, not much at all.
It will all come down to the first party games to showcase the strengths of the new consoles
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
From the people who have played on Ps3 and ps4 versions of games, the difference is already noticeable. So in a few years time it will be at a bigger margin.
I'll say it again. Look at Project Dark Zero and then look at Halo 4, hard to believe they are both running on the same hardware
The improvements really won't be that great this time though, we have reached the point of diminishing returns when it comes to power. they could make something a hundred times more powerful, but the games wouldn't look a hundred times better, they wouldn't even look ten times better.
Yes they would. Have you seen a PC on steroids running games on Ultra?
The jump isn't as big as the SD to HD one but it is still a jump
I'll be interested to see what they can do once the new consoles are optimized to the very top of their capability's
2Dshmuplover's avatar
2Dshmuplover 3 years ago
X1 has a far mroe diverse range of exclusives than PS4 line up. Forza 5, Crimson Dragon, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Killer Instinct (+ original) is far more well rounded than the PS4 exclusive-up. not sure what Tretton is smoking. Just doing his job I guess.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
2ds - Tretton isn't just talking about launch titles though. He's talking about overall, and Sony does have a more diverse selection of exclusives, they just aren't all crashing out in the first day. They are starting out good enough with Knack, Killzone, Infamous in the launch window, then they'll be delivering for the entire 8 years with different titles like Sony Santa Monica, Naughty Dog etcs. games.
SolidSnake 187's avatar
SolidSnake 187 3 years ago
That Tretton is talking out of his ass, better games, really? Knack looks like a kids ps 3 game, drive club looks ok ish and killzone's always been average at best. Sony keep going on about policy's and indie games and how there stand up guys because, well really they aint got much to show. Im far more excited for the x1,my fiance has ordered a ps 4 for the living room, so i'll use that for the decent exclusives just like i've done this gen, anyway just my opinion, can't wait till november.
It's all about what's perceivable by the human eye Nox, you could have a resolution of a million running at a thousand frames per second, but on your average TV to an average person it really wouldn't look that much better than what we've got now.
LAA's avatar
LAA 3 years ago
Wow such X1 fanboys here. Sales X1 have "deservedly" been getting? What!? I was under the impression they tried to screw consumer's ownership rights, yet they deservedly entitled to high sales? May be something you can forgive in time, but definitely not something I can forget personally. More so when they so havent done that reversal because consumers wanted it, only because by keeping it up, they were just getting so much negative press and it was even used as a weapon against them. From the sounds of it, doesnt seem X1 is significantly outselling PS4 anywhere to me... Only places I see X1 perhaps standing a chance is US and sadly, probably the UK, seeing as its mostly a Fifa/COD country and I feel we're too bound to brands. Also, the PS4 will have quite a significant power increase from the X1, how much so I can't say for certain, but 30%+ figures are flying around, so the difference between the PS3 and 360 is less compared to this. Just don't expect multi-platform games, especially day 1 games perhaps, to outshine the X1 versions, but there may be some difference. Some devs have said there will be a noticeable difference day 1, others not, so depends on the game. Using the PS3 was stronger, but games were better on 360 doesn't really apply in this case. PS3 didn't get the "better" multiplatform games simply because it was notoriously difficult to develop for, while 360, not so much so, which combined with the 360 having some faster components compared to PS3, only made it more clear. Although, the PS3 was more powerful than the 360....when developed for to its max, first party titles like Last Of Us and Uncharted, Killzone maybe even, I don't think are possible on 360. Not really fair to use "Games are more diverse" as a fact either. Its all subjective at the end of the day. If you think PS4 games are more diverse, go for PS4, if you think X1's games are more diverse, go for that. Theres no fact about it. In my opinion however, PS4 will be the more diverse platform, just from track record alone and it already has a game like Knack coming for it. I just think MS will just be rolling out COD/Fifa/FPS's all year round, they have every chance to prove me wrong, but that was pretty much how it felt with 360 for me near the end. At the end of the day though, its all opinion, get what you want most, just try not and let fanboy-ism blind your judgement.
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
Lol so much crap in the above post. I will look up the old policy offline version, but i doubt ill find it.
Fanboy lectures on fanboyism? I guess it's a subject he's very familiar with.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Fuck sake guys this is the reason this site has gone down hill and so many regulars have lleft
I cba reading that, anyone care to give me the short version
Blah blah blah bicker bicker blah blah blah
Great abridged version