Devs claim PS4 is 'significantly' more powerful than Xbox One

Yet more news has appeared regarding the hardware battle between the PS4 and the Xbox One, with developers telling Edge Magazine that third party they may choose to base games on the less capable Xbox One hardware as it makes more financial sense.

"It would be totally fine for us to make one version prettier without any political difficulties but it usually doesn't make financial sense," the developer said. "Unless it's a very simple tweak."

Apparently one developer went further, telling Edge that it would be better to "castrate" the PS4 version of a game so as not to upset Microsoft.

Comparing the power between the two machines, Edge's articles reports, "One basic example we were given suggested that without optimisation for either console, a platform-agnostic development build can run at around 30FPS in 1920×1080 on PS4, but it'll run at "20-something" FPS in 1600×900 on Xbox One."

To us it would make sense for the PS4 to have more power, after all Microsoft says that Kinect cost almost as much to develop as the machine itself and Microsoft has to make that money back somewhere.

Xbox One launches in the UK on November 22, followed by the PS4 on November 29.

Edited On 13 Sep, 2013

Comments
Daniel 3 years ago
Not really making progress in gaming if developers choose to "castrate" PS4 versions of their game so not to upset M$
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Must admit that sucks that you dont get the full potential of a game if its made to worker on the less powerful console. The worrying thing in that report is why did microsoft spend all that money on Kinect when most people dont want it?
Devs have been doing that to PC games for years just to not upset the console folk. Bottom line is that it will come done to first party games to set the consoles apart, that and in a few years the Xbox One will be struggling near it's peak (Let the hate begin) and the PS4 will be happily skipping along
It's cos they already spent a hell of a lot of money on it and they are too proud to move away.
w1ll p0wer's avatar
w1ll p0wer 3 years ago
Oh no! What am I going to do now? Oh well, I guess I'd rather choose a slightly less powerful console with a vastly superior control pad, better online service, an achievement system that isn't a ME TOO afterthought, and a Company who has a vast list of exclusive franchises that I enjoy. Can't wait for my Xbox One!
Facepalm. Few things. Number 1: " vastly superior control pad" That's a matter of opinion, I like the Dualshock more. Number 2: " better online service" PS+ nuff said. Number 3: " an achievement system that isn't a ME TOO afterthought" Who cares? Number 4: "vast list of exclusive franchises" Vast? To each his own though
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
Slightly less powerful? Learn to read. Better controller? Opinion while the 360 controller was better than PS3, the PS4 seems to have come leaps and bounds and is now on par, but also has the touch pad and you know doesn't need a separate battery. Better online? Just wrong, + gives you a lot of free stuff compared to gold, and on top of that with a lot of people shifting to PS4 over Xbone that means that PS4 will be more populated. Achievements? They should be the least of your concern, I have about 130,000 but I haven't batted an eyelid at leaving it all behind. Vast amount of exclusives? What are you high, they have Halo, gears, fable and Forza, while Sony has Uncharted, God of War, Killzone, Gran turismo, Ratchet and Clank and Little big planet (there are probably even more), not to mention the stand alone exclusives like the Last of Us.
Sony also own the Demon Souls IP and he been talking about doing something with it for a while
Nathan 3 years ago
Lets not forget the ps3 was highly touted as a far superior console than the xbox 360 with its cell processor and all yet every multi-platform game i can think of ran and looked better on the 360. Raw power is one thing but optimisation and how easy the system makes it for developers plays a big part also.
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
The PS3 IS more powerful but it used a custom made chip and was hard to develop for, which lead to most non exclusive games just been gimped ports, while this time around there are the ones using an easy to use chip, while MS are using the custom one. Lets not forget Sony have had input from the people who'll be making the games for their console.
As you said the PS3 is the most powerful console, it was just hard to develop for but the new consoles are based off PC architecture so it won't be as hard to port stuff. (Btw the PS3 still has some life in it, the 360 is pushing past its limits)
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
Just look at the Last of Us, that would have made a 360 explode, and in my opinion could have easily past for next gen.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
But graphics do not make a good game, sure the graphics looked good in the last of us but gameplay wise it did not do anything that has not been done before granted they did do it really well.
Let's not forget MGS4 isn't on the 360 as well
DARKST4R's avatar
DARKST4R 3 years ago
XBOX ONE WILL STILL WIN!!!! HOW U LIKE ME NOW, HOW U LIKE ME NOW LOL
Nathan 3 years ago
I think its best we all save up and get both lol. Theres always gonna be arguements on both sides. I think if you own just one you'll inevitable be missing out on something.
Oh hello Darkst4r (AKA: David) J/K
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
That is the best way nathan
We aren't arguing Tootell , we are having a discussion
Twizty360's avatar
Twizty360 3 years ago
That reason why I don't comment much on here, to many fanboys now!
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Just wait till the one and ps4 are released, if we dont get stories like this then it will go away.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Either that or I'm gone.
Nathan 3 years ago
Just a thought on the xbox live vs ps+ argument. Yeh you get a bunch of free stuff on ps+ for ps3 but what stuff have sony got to give away for the ps4? A stripped down version of drive club and maybe 1 or 2 indie games. Were not going to get a free full fledge ps4 game every month, not for a few years i'd think.
I think it's ok during the night, had some good conversations/shit throwing contests with Whitey and Gloria at night
What are Microsoft doing then Nathan?
Nathan 3 years ago
Its not a microsoft defence it was just a reply to one of the earlier comments on here boasting all the free stuff on ps+. Just thought it should be said its probably not going to be like that on ps4.
I know what you mean Nathan. PS+ will still be supporting the PS3 & PSV though
Whitey 3 years ago
This is exactly why console hardware does not matter for 3rd party games. The PS3 was more powerful than 360 but the majority of 3rd party games were developed for 360 and then ported to PS3 and PC, which a lot of the time meant the 360 version was better. It will be the same now with PS4 and X1. Also, with the PSN/LIVE argument, yes PS+ is great it gives you "free" games, but you're not paying to get games are you? you're paying to have a great online service, which is what Xbox provides, Xbox LIVE is just much better overall in terms of servers, connection, social media, online functions and general multiplayer services.
I love throwing shit Nox ;)
Whitey. Hardly noticeable, I get disconnected from XBL more than PSN, No one cares, Party Chat? Meh, elaborate
Whitey 3 years ago
No matter what advantages Sony can throw around, it's a fact they can not compete with MS servers. The new CoD has dedicated servers on X1 and PC but no PS4? You may think meh whatever, but for competitive gamers that is a huge deal. MS can also do a lot more with the cloud than Sony can do on the PS4. Sony may be a great company and have brilliant ideas but they just don't have the money or tech to compete with MS' online service.
The majority of people who play games still only play Single Player & the Xbox division have a bigger pile of cash than the Playstation Division cos Microsoft have been charging for Multi-player since the start. Also lets not forget Microsoft's background. I'm sure they already had this in place for ages. PS: Truly competitive gamers play on PC
Whitey 3 years ago
The thing is, Sony as a whole is not doing that great, they have reported losses over the past few years. Whereas Microsoft, even without the Xbox, is a huge company with billions of $'s to their name so they can afford to do whatever they want. But I hope the PS4 brings in big profits for Sony because they are a great company.
PSN has been a money drain for Sony for years
Nathan 3 years ago
Yeh hopefully for Sony they make some money because as we all seem to know, the ps4 is a beast technology wise. At £350 you gotta think there making a loss per unit just to get one up on microsoft.
Whitey 3 years ago
PS4 is not really a beast, it's better than Xbox One, but far from a "beast" Hard to believe PS4 is releasing at £350 when the PS3 was almost £500 or something when they launched. I did read somewhere a while go that Sony wont be making much profit on PS4 selling it at £350 because it cost a lot to make.
It's not a "Beast" it's relativity powerful
Nathan 3 years ago
Sorry a hardware beast in the xbox1 vs ps4 comparison i meant
noisecheck's avatar
noisecheck 3 years ago
PS4 will not be sold at a loss http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/155521-playtation-4-sony-announces-the-ps4-wont-be-sold-at-loss I'm not sure about the xbox one, but neither company really won last gen either, both suffered quite substantial losses financially. http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/07/xbox-360-and-ps3-losses-total-8-billion-ex-sony-employee-paints-grim-future/ Despite the PS3 selling more units globally, Sony still suffered greater losses due to selling at a loss at launch, at least that's not the case this time. As for development, the PS4 architecture will make the PS4 the lead platform for multi platform games next gen, PS4 uses openGL where as the one uses direct x. Neither consoles are "beasts" but the PS4 is using hUMA technology which wont be available until the next gen PC graphics cards are released, this gives PS4 a slight edge ever the one imo.
Enlighten us on why you think that Anthony
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
Care to explain how it will be better? More servers yes, but higher population no, most people are getting are moving over to PS4 next gen now, I don't know a single person in the real world who is getting a xbox one.
& even some people are moving to PC since the lines between console and PC become even more close
There is a best console, it's called the Dreamcast 2. Anyhoo Tootell give it till the new consoles come out and I'm sure most of the "people find the need to come on the internet and argue about there personal preference" will go back to lucking in the depths of XBL/PSN
Whitey 3 years ago
Not going to lie but Direct x is miles better than OpenGL
Whitey 3 years ago
Also, it's not like it's complete fanboyism here. People are entitled to discuss what they think is better, it's not like he said PS4 is complete crap and Xbox is the great god.
Well (A made up word) is better than Direct X 11
He might as well of said that. We all know he is thinking it
Whitey 3 years ago
Also, on that also, Noisecheck, if you read the article it said it will be likely 3rd party games would be developed on the Xbox one to make sure both consoles can handle the game fine. So if it's anything like 360 and PS3, expect half-assed ports to PS4, though with both consoles being very similar with PC, I expect the gap will be much smaller this time.
Whitey 3 years ago
And if he is thinking it, so what? He is allowed to share his opinion. Seems you need to have a 5 page document with reasons, explanations and evidence to voice your opinion these days.
I'll say it again. IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THE FIRST PARTY'S. Sony have Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Guerrilla Games Santa Monica Studio, Japan Studio, Team Ico & Project Siren. Microsoft have 343 Industries & Lionhead (I don't count Rare)
I assume you are talking to me you twit (J/K). Where is the fun in not comparing opinions?
Oh I forgot Microsoft own Twisted Pixel. Yeah
Whitey 3 years ago
None of them names mean anything to me apart from Naughty Dog. Also, Microsoft have more than that.. Turn 10 Studios, Twisted Pixel, Black Tusk and some other crappy ones. Was going to say Epic, but don't think they are actually a first party studio.
Whitey 3 years ago
I'm all for comparing opinions and have a bit of a banter and what not, but some people take other peoples opinions and comments too seriously. I'm a huge Gears fan, but if someone thinks it's crap and the worst game of all time, I'm not going to get upset about it.
Black Tusk haven't made a game yet so I don't count them. Who are Turn 10? (Genuinely wondering) Epic aren't a 1st party studio
Whitey 3 years ago
Are you serious? Turn 10, the guys that make the Forza games. Shame on you.
I don't think it's the worstest series of all time, I don't even think it's bad. I just don't like it much, it's Meh to me
Oh, I don't like racing sims so that's why I don't know them
Whitey have you played Infamous?
Whitey 3 years ago
No, but I would probably like it.
Whitey 3 years ago
Any way, you don't need a first party studio to have exclusives. Gears of War, Crackdown, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, and some other 360 exclusives are not first party Microsoft studios. So it's about games, not studios.
Didn't the rights to Crackdown go to Microsoft after Realworlds closed? If that's the case about exclusives I can list the 360 exclusives I have vs the PS3
You really should play Infamous, it one of the games I bought a PS3 for
Whitey 3 years ago
Even though The Last of Us and Uncharted are great games, I would honestly take Gears or Dead Rising over them any day. TLoU and Uncharted seem like they are great first time story experiences, but nothing much after that. I would, but I'm not buying a PS3 now so I'll never play it.
Whitey 3 years ago
Ok so after looking at all the PS3 and 360 exclusives, this is a list of exclusive games for each console that I'm interested in. for 360 it's Crackdown, Dead Rising, Fable, Forza, Gears and Saints Row. For PS3 it would be God of War, Heavy Rain, Infamous, TLoU and Uncharted. Hmm, when I come to think of it, neither console really offers me that much to be honest. But if I could only choose one game (series) out of all them to play, it would probably be Gears, followed very closely by Dead Rising.
That's your personal preference, you prefer gameplay over story but you will play Uncharted,TLoU and Infamous eventually
Whitey 3 years ago
Actually, I prefer story over gameplay. The only way I will play Infamous, Uncharted and TLoU is if they release on PS4.
Gears for story, really? One word: Gaiki
Whitey 3 years ago
I never said story for Gears. I just really like the gameplay and style of Gears, but the story isn't bad any way, GoW3 had a good story I think. Gaiki? sounds like some Japanese guy.
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
I know MS are publishing Dead Rising 3, but I think future titles in the franchise will be cross-plat and maybe even 3 at some point like Mass effect, that said Dead Rising doesn't look that good to be fair I'm pretty sure it could run on current gen if they wanted it to, sure it looks pretty but the map looks really small from a map I saw, and I've also heard it runs at 30FPS, it may have pushed current gen too far but it doesn't seem to be ground breaking as far as what next gen is capable of.
Whitey 3 years ago
No way it would have run on 360, have you seen footage of it? It even struggles to keep a solid frame rate on Xbox one. I think they went over the top with the number of zombies on screen, like seriously why do you need that many any way.
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
That's the thing it's running at 30FPS by design, that's not it struggling that's what they want it to do, no idea why they need so many, why not make it actually possible to die by them so you don't need as many at once, it'll probably get even more shaky when in co-op, if dead rising is their big hitter at launch which I think it's going to be then a lot of people are going to be disappointed. Maybe I was exaggerating a bit when I said it could run on this gen though :P
Whitey 3 years ago
Yeah all the big games like CoD, BF4, Forza and the likes were like yeah we're running at 60fps on Xbox one. Then Dead Rising is like, yeah we're sticking at 30fps with 2000 zombies on screen at once, because obviously I can interact with all of them at the same time.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
The amount of zombies is for the same reason the first had loads is to try and show what the machine is capable of.
Whitey 3 years ago
Also, it makes it worse because DR3 is one big open world all streaming in the background. Whereas DR2 was kind of like instanced in different sections that had loading screens between each area.
Whitey 3 years ago
Although it is worth noting that Capcom have said they know the frame rate isn't that great on the footage, but it was running an old beta build and it should be fixed up for the release version.
Tbh I don't see the need for something like what Dead Rising 3 is trying to be but to be fair I was never a fan of Zombies if the first place
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
I liked the way the first one worked as you were in closed area surrounded by the things and you had to cleave your way through like you were doing some heavy gardening, but I think 2000 is just ridiculous and unnecessary, I'd take 1000 and 60FPS, or even less than that so long as it's 60FPS any less is just underwhelming as next gen for me, the graphics and amount of things going on at once are fine as they are now, I just want it to all be smoother, we'll see anyway as I'll almost undoubtedly pick a one up at some point and try it out.
Anthony are you David? Just asking cos he said something to that effect to me before but with a lot more typos
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
I'm just waiting on Richard Branson to release the Virgin box, now that will be the greatest console ever.
Shut up Anthony, you brain dead inflatable lover.
Whitey 3 years ago
I was thinking the same thing, Nox.
LOL. Love how Gloria comes back just as it's about to kick off. Them senses
I'm bloody psychic I am ;)
Funny stuff this is. Didn't mean anything by it Ant
About as new as your girlfriend was when you bought her from the sex shop I'm sure Anthony.
They should really make it a requirement to upload a Avatar, I'm sick of seeing that stupid default thing
Whitey 3 years ago
LOL just remember I was going to remove my avatar, I like the unknown identity image.
HEY GLORIA, DON'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT MY DEAR AYA!! OK
Whitey 3 years ago
Anthony, since you're new, you need to pass the ShopTo newcomers test to be able to post around here.
I remember, you said you where going to remove yours around the time I asked Kevin to upload one
The test is to take Gloria's abuse and enjoy it. We all had to do it
Whitey 3 years ago
Meh, how do you remove your image? I can change it, but can't seem to just have none.
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
I'm guessing GTA isn't getting sent out then? WAH!!!!
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
Don't know maybe just save the default one off of one of these fine peoples profile and use that, should have the same effect.
HA LOVE IT!!!
Found a better picture :D
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
I'm going to change mine
Whitey 3 years ago
They all seem too small :/
Done
NOOOO!!!!!!!!1 Change it back
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
Aww can't make it out, I'll try again
LMAO
try this one
Whitey 3 years ago
Haha, not a fan of Zombichew, Nox?
I hate you Merle
Whitey 3 years ago
To be fair, I tried to find the image you're using and copy you, but couldn't find it so went with a dead version.
XD
Whitey 3 years ago
Enough messing, time to get serious.
Google Pikanox and go to images, Saiyannox also has a few of my pics
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I like this new trend
Whitey 3 years ago
Although to be fair, could have done what Merle said and save your image :)
Whitey 3 years ago
Man, this Nox guy, copying me and stuff.
So now everyone is just gonni put a Pikachu pic as their Avatar? Also I hate you Whitey
Whitey 3 years ago
I'm confusing myself now, I usually identify people by their image.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
It would be funny if everyone had the same image.
Same Whitey.Now that's a plan that is Zombie
Whitey 3 years ago
Think I like this one best if I'm honest.
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
Not really good fun..
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
can you delete all the above mess please..
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
boss you need to get some moderators around here..
Awww party pooper (Pout)
*Raises Hand*
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Yeah it may have went a tad too far.
Well that was.. strange.
Blame Merle :)
I know Whitey, where were you when I was being bullied
Whitey 3 years ago
Took a break, came back to hell, one Nox is bad enough. lol joes :P
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
pls use report abuse then he get banned.. :-)
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
I'm back, what did I miss?
Hahahahaha, so you two aren't going to say anything are you?
You missed a capital D Merle
Where is the Report button? Just asking
Whitey 3 years ago
To be fair, I think it was all Nox talking to himself making it look like he was bullied.
What you talking about?
Fine be that way see if I care. I...I...IDIOTS!
I just realized that it's Friday the 13th
Not again...
Whitey 3 years ago
What's note-worthy about Friday the 13th?
Really Whitey?
Whitey 3 years ago
I just realized tomorrow's Saturday the 14th.
Very funny.