Thursday Chat, September 19

GTA V has made loads of money, Sony are aiming to sell 5 million PS4's before March 2014 and Call of Duty: Ghosts is on track to be the most successful game in the series so far. It looks like gaming is in a healthy state doesn't it?

It seems big budget games are all the rage, but what happens when it goes wrong? Well, studios shut down and people lose their job. So is taking the risk worth it? Well for Activision and Rockstar it is but what about the rest? When developing a big budget title failing is not really an option. So should developers stick to lower budget mid-tier titles, which perhaps take away some of the risk?

Then there's the lower budget indie titles, which generally have little risk due to the low costs involved, but can sometimes take off and make the developer millions (Hello Minecraft, Journey).

So what way should developers aim? Spend millions for your enjoyment, concentrate on smaller titles are somewhere in between. Should big budget games be left to those who are established at creating them?

Let's Chat!

Edited On 19 Sep, 2013

Comments
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 3 years ago
A mix of both is the best way to go, small developers can bring out the best games but the initial profit impact sometimes stops them doing it. Often those games become cult classics with the best Story / gameplay innovations. The big budget games rarely do anything different and stick to tried and tested selling methods
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
I am not a big fan of the yearly blockbuster games as they dont really change much from year to year. The big companies can sometimes damage selection of games take football for example this gen you only have a choice between 2 games each year. One of the biggest sports in the country and you only get a choice of 2 games to recreate it. Rockstar seem to have the right approach of having a big enough gap between there blockbusters helps build up hype.
I agree with Pyro, a mix is best
Don't much care for big budget games, all the attention to detail and technical expertise that goes in to them usually cover up a very mediocre game. And they certainly don't take any risks, they don't get a big budget unless they are guarunteed to sell, it's the middle tier games, the testing ground for new IPs that take all the risks, and if it pays off then they get the big budgets.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I love big budget games CoD FIFA GTA etc because I seem to get my value for money out of them because I just play and play and play them where as a small budget game I can honestly say I haven't played it more than once.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Or have I misunderstood the question at hand?
Samka's avatar
Samka 3 years ago
I don't really have a preference for big budget games or not and have been known to love/enjoy games of both type, so long as the gameplay and/or story is good (depending on the type of game). I don't like CoD or Fifa but that's not coz they're big budget, more that I've never got into football games (despite being a big football fan), and I just get bored of mindless FPS like CoD quite quickly.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Would anyone here that uses Steam, like a copy of Bastion?
New bundles: http://www.bundlestars.com/ : http://www.indiegala.com/
Joey B's avatar
Joey B 3 years ago
What's up with the whole 1-3 Days Service on the pre-orders page. How comes it's not next day anymore?
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
It still is I think. I think it's due to the amount of people that complained about GTA V not arriving early since they dispatched on Saturday
4 letters. G.T.A.V
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Pushing me towards amazon prime
Sorry but I don't see why anyone would pay for Prime
Joey B's avatar
Joey B 3 years ago
Ah right, fair enough. I hope it gets back to 1 day again. My GTA was dispatched Saturday, and arrived Tuesday. Weird
Shopto use First Class delivery and that's 1-3 days. Even Amazon Prime is 1-3 days even though they mark it as Next Day (Why I wasn't impressed with my trial)
Joey B's avatar
Joey B 3 years ago
Yeah I wouldn't pay for Amazon Prime, waste of money
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi, without you there would be no games industry as it is, there would be no Nintendo as it is today and certainly no GTA V or Shopto. I think we should all take a moment to remember him.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I buy a lot of blu rays of amazon
People keep on playing down the importance of Nintendo and hence this man. It scares me to think what Gamindustri would have become be without him
Seriously I think Shopto should at least have a Konami Code Easter Egg
I buy all my Anime & Manga from Amazon but I'm not paying for Prime
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
To entice people into buying prime you think they would try and entice people by offering a discount on lovefilms or something.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
I buy my DVDs from Amazon, games from shopto. went with GAME briefly but their online service is so abysmal I dunno if I'll bother, even if they do give you bonuses
You mean Blu-rays Robi
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
No...... only sometimes blu-rays. Not that often. Only really find some worth buying (like the Disney)
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Yeah GAME online are shockingly bad, not had much issues with my local store in the centre though.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Game are bad m8
You buying Sword Art?
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Art sword
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
problem with the store is that they just aren't competitive with online. And so when I factor in parking and such buying a game from GAME costs anywhere from 10%-20% more than buying online.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
That is true. I don't buy much console games these days so most of the games I buy are digital downloads... the way forward.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Don't like downloads I prefer having a physical copy to look at :P
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Not a huge fan of digital downloads myself. Just like to have the boxes.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
My game boxes sit on a shelf gathering dust so no use for them, it's also slower and more trouble switching discs and finding the right case when have loads of them. I can see why MS wanted to go digital, it's just better.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Days da gr8 ting bowt dem
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
I'm doubled up with my opinion on the download, one one hand I like the resale value of a physical disk while I also like the it's always there and isn't taking up physical space that a digital brings, if they'd sort out the prices of digital I'd probably jump in head first.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
But didn't MS say they were looking into a way of letting you sell and trade-in your digital games for new games on the store? If there was a way to get money back from digital games that would be awesome I think.
Microsoft have no reason to do that, it wouldn't benefit them in any way whatsoever so I'll believe it when I see it
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Well they was going to do it, before they had to revisit their policy due to the huge outrage. They have said they are looking at more and better ways of doing it and hope to bring digital game loaning and trading at some point.
Well they said they were anyway, they said they were doing lots of things that never happened though. Digital games take up space too, and it's a lot more hassle, and expense, to get a new hard drive, plus transfer tool if necessary, to make more room than it is to pick up a DVD rack or make some shelf space.