Sony hopes launch titles and PS Plus can turn loss making PlayStation 4 into profit

PlayStation 4 is expected to make a loss at launch, although with the new paid PS Plus requirement for online gaming Sony is hoping to turn that loss into profit.

Sony Japan executive Masayasu Ito explained details surrounding this to Eurogamer, while the site also quotes unnamed sources who say there will be a $60 loss for each PS4 sold, however, although Ito denied this way true.

Consumers buying a title with their launch console, coupled with subscriptions to PS Plus should see the console turn profit for Sony far quicker than the expensive PS3 ever did.

Are you excited for PS4? Are you planning to subscribe to PS Plus and do you have a launch game ordered?

Edited On 20 Sep, 2013

Comments
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
I'm already on plus, don't know why anyone wouldn't be, and I have AC4 collectors edition on order along side Killzone, I may cancel Killzone and get Knack instead though.
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 3 years ago
PS+ is amazing value for Money and I haven't for a moment consider to stop sub to it.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
I do not have PS plus as it is not worth it. By the time the games get released for free, I've already bought the game, played it and sold it getting money back. The games you get under PS plus are only payable while you are subscribed, unlike the Xbox 360 Games with Gold which can still be played even you cancel your gold sub. PS plus will be a requirement now for online gaming unlike the PS3. I have not yet ordered a PS4 as there are no games on it that interest. I plan on getting 7 titles - Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Forza 5, Watch Dogs, AC4, Need For Speed Rivals, with the Xbox ONE from the launch titles. With the PS4 now requiring the PS plus sub for online gaming gives less motivation for have both consoles.
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
@TONY Who exactly are you trying to convince?...... yourself perhaps?
Dan 3 years ago
@RTLF I DID order the best console, I DID I DID I DID!!!! lol. Seriously though, as a gamer with a job, and a family and a somewhat limited budget for games as it's been overtaken by a lot of things in my priority list, having PS+ is a godsend. I used to buy a game, maybe two per month, now i pay for PS+, buy the big titles (Last of Us, GTAV) and just wait. I have more games than i can actually get through on my HDD yet my gaming budget has dropped from up to £1000 a year to £40 PS+ and maybe two or three £40 games on launch days. Massive massive saving for shifting my launch-play schedule a little. If you have a Vita too, then it's a total no brainer! Free games on all my consoles, is just fantastic. Been subbed since day 1, and have not once considered cancelling. Happy customer.
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 3 years ago
Sold on the console but there is nothing in the launch line up that floats my boat so I will just have the free stuff and maybe one other title depending on the US reviews.
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
Playstaion plus is an great value for money even better that I got this year 1 year plus membership for £26 well worth it. Don't worry guys & girls, ignore tony he's an MS cheer leader & always downs sony for no reason. But yeah plus is worth it & I don't see why not people don't use it this is my 2nd year with plus & its an mega nice service!
Light Heavensword's avatar
Light Heavensword 3 years ago
I'm pretty sure Sony will get that money back easily. I have been a Plus member for a while now, it's well worth the money all those Vita and PS3 games I have been downloading. I'm getting Knack on launch day. That game seriously reminds me of Jak.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
They will probably have a shaky start like the PS3, but I have no doubt it will work out for them in the long run. Once they can deal with the console demand and get some decent games out, they will be doing much better.
The Boss's avatar
The Boss 3 years ago
Hi, 3 new bundle will be bundle announced next week! the game unfortunately will not be Free and we will have to swap for some user the standard alone with the bundle due to allocations..
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 3 years ago
@The Boss, are those 3 new bundles official bundles from Sony?
Falcus's avatar
Falcus 3 years ago
@Artemisthemp I completely agree. I'll be keeping my sub indefinitely for the PS3 stuff alone. It runs out in Jan, maybe I should top up with another year to get those 3 months extra :) Can't wait for my PS4 though! I remember reading that there would possibly be bundle offers and a way to edit your preorder to include one. Are those still going to happen? I'd love it if I could get the system bundled with something. If not I'll be buying a game or 2 regardless :)
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
PS plus could get you into a trapped situation. If they no longer release games that you want, then you will have to keep paying £40 to keep playing the games you got, or stop paying, and lose all those games. I can see the appeal for PS3, as they did not charge for online gaming, but came up with this scheme to get people to pay £40 per year, but now that they are charging for the online gaming on PS4, they may not dish out these free games any more, or will be severely reduced
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
So over 12months they wont release games anybody likes? It is better for ps4 than ps3 anyway as you get online, plus free games cheaper than what you get at xbox for just online so don't know why your going after Sony yet not Microsoft considering they offer nothing extra.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
I could have quite easily bought a PS4 but having to pay for online gaming is a turn off. I do not particuary want to pay a sub for both,so that menas now online PS4 exclusive games will be crippled. MS offer Gold for online services / cheaper games / early access to demos etc, that is what you get for £40, Sony sub just WAS for free / cheap game , but with charging for online gaming will they still keep up with these awesome (FREE) deals? Have Sony said they will? If they do keep the awesome deals then why now charge for online gaming? It is forcing you to pay £40 when you do not want it. It should also be good for Xbox ONE though, as to compete MS will have to come up with something to compete, they never bothered before as you were paying for online servicves, and PS3 owners were paying for cheap / free games - add in online gaming as well then it makes the PS plus even better, but not if they ditch the free games to compensate for the online services, basically making it like Gold. As PS4 games release less PS3 games will release so there will be less PS3 games people will want (that is if they remove the free games with PS4 and it gets replaced to pay for online services)