Xbox One not designed to stand vertically

Microsoft's Albert Panello has revealed that the Xbox One was not designed to stand vertically.

"We don't support vertical orientation; do it at your own risk," He told Gamespot. "It wouldn't be a cooling problem, we just didn't design the drive for vertical. Because it's a slot loading drive, we just didn't design it for both".

Both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 have a similar design in terms of using a slot loading drive, however users are free to orient those consoles horizontally or vertically.

"We found, interestingly enough, that 80 percent of people, believe it or not, have their Xbox [360] horizontally," he said, which no doubt helped with their decision.

The Xbox One is due for release on November 22.

Edited On 20 Sep, 2013

Comments
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I never put mine vertically, always feel as though it may fall too easily.
I tried putting my 360 vertically to start with, after a couple of red rings I decided to go horizontal though.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
All my consoles, apart from the PS1 have been vertical, it just saves more room in my set up. I'm sure they'll release a vertical stand for it at a price at some point.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Well my consoles sit quite high up off the floor, and sit on the end of the cabinet so I'd never put my console vertically. besides, I think they look better flat.
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
I always put my consoles flat also your more likely to get your discs marked if you put them vertically. But I guess its just an preference really.
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 3 years ago
I wonder if Xbone was designed at all. How the hell it's twice the volume of PS4 and power brick is not inside that volume?
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Does it really matter about having a power brick, its obviously there for a reason, just because the PS4 does not have one does not mean that the xbox one should not have one.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
To be fair, I never see the power brick any way as it's hidden behind my cabinet so it's not an issue for me.
External PSU is a good idea really, less chance of overheating, easier to replace if it breaks, the only argument against it is the petty fantard one of aesthetics, and really, how stupid would you have to be to set up a console and have it a problem?