Yoshida: PlayStation has changed its stance on Mobile Phones

Sony is hoping to embrace mobile phones with its official and companion apps, as well as free-to-play titles based on its PlayStation games.

"We've totally shifted our way of thinking," Yoshida said of Sony's stance in a recent interview. "Through the companion apps, the official PlayStation app and game dedicated apps... in some cases, we're creating small games that go with PS4 titles. We're releasing a puzzle game themed around Knack that you can play for free.

"It's fun, and by playing the game you earn some items that you can use on PS4. People might be motivated, because they've already unlocked some items, to take a look at what this Knack game on the PS4 is all about.

"What we're saying now is that we've totally changed our approach to mobile products like smartphones and tablets," he said. "In the past, we felt like these guys were competition to our portable games, in general - but now, everyone owns these smartphones and tablets.

"It's like everyone had a PC before - it's a tool that people use every day. Why not try to include them in the PlayStation ecosystem? Not that we're releasing lots of games on these mobile products, but to somehow push our PlayStation information to these devices that people already use every day.

"Lots of people don't seek out game-specific info - they're busy. But because they use social network services, App Stores... Let's push our info to them. That's why we are creating the hook, releasing the official PlayStation apps on Android and iOS at the launch of PS4.

"That has many functions - if you own a PS4, it's your connection to your own games or console, or your PlayStation Network community. Even if you don't own a PS4, it can be a way to find out what's happening in the PlayStation world, or you could use these devices as an input device for PS4."

Sony recently trademarked the latest Ratchet & Clank game for Mobile Phones. Could this or a spin off release as part of this new stance?

Would you be interested in a Knack themed puzzler for Mobile?

Edited On 02 Oct, 2013

Comments
kitkatkita's avatar
kitkatkita 3 years ago
Looking forward to this if it can give ingame bonuses and such - as long as if works with my iPod Touch 4th Gen I'll be happy. Even if it is just a few small items (and only if they're exclusive to get on the mobile platform) so for instance let's say you could make Knack Blue if you unlock a skin for it in the mobile version - which I can then send to the main game. But if I can already unlock it in the main game, I won't see a point.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
I am sure I read last week that Beyond Two Souls could be completed with just a smart phone using an app.
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
*cough* smartglass *cough*
Luvly Jubly's avatar
Luvly Jubly 3 years ago
Of course it's smartglass Sony don't think of their own ideas just rip off other companies.
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 3 years ago
Pretty sure Nintendo came up with a second screen before smartglass came on the scene. Also Sony had remote play on PSP before Nintendo has Wii U. I think it's someone else guilty of stealing ideas this time.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Yeah couldnt you use a psp as a rear view mirror in a gran turismo game if I remember right. Kinect is a refinement of the eye toy they all take ideas off each other.
Apnomis's avatar
Apnomis 3 years ago
Well said Joe, I was just about to point that out myself. Sony R&D have been experimenting with companion screens for games for years, it's was a potential application that was discussed way back when the original PSP was launched, and did feature in a limited amount of games. More so with the PS Vita, and it will eventually become common place on the PS4. The only thing that's changed is that Sony have opened up their eco-system to allow 3rd party devices to act as the second screen, which is a very sensible decision. Fanboys do make me laugh, especially fanboys of a console whose very existence is a result of trying to copy the success of the original Sony PlayStation, pot and kettle? Next they'll be claiming the PlayStation camera is copying Kinect lol...
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Nintendo had remote play in the Game Boy/Super Game boy long before the PSP too =3 Its....a kind of remote play in that you could play on the console and then put the game on the handheld for on the move lol. It was just marketed differently. I'm not sure what Sony are trying to achieve here, mini games for mobile phones to make awareness of bigger games on consoles? Isn't that just what the Internet is for?
Yep, Nintendo were working with second screens long ago, both N64 and GC had Gameboy connectivity.
I remember that, I used it to raise my Chao's in Sonic Adventure 2 and a few other things I can'r remember
There was quite a few on the GC, Wind Waker, Splinter Cell, Wario World, and my personal favourite Pacman Vs.