House: Early Adopters of PS4 don't want motion control

Sony's Andrew House has said that early adopters of PS4 are not interested in motion controls.

Speaking in an interview with Business Spectator, House explained that this, amongst others, was one of the reasons that the camera is not included with the console.

“Certainly for the earlier part of the lifecycle, the vast majority of the audience that we speak to tells us that their primary wish is for the full controller interface and there’s not necessarily a huge emphasis being placed on camera interaction,” he said.

Obviously leaving the camera out also helped to keep the price down, which in turn allows Sony a jump on its rival when it comes to launch.

House did say that Sony will "adjust this message" if the camera should become a more sought after item, but for now it'll stay separate.

[via]

Edited On 10 Oct, 2013

Comments
I'd say with so many people desperate for the mega bundle with the camera that a fair amount do want it. This is probably the result of another one of their surveys of two thousand people that they think they can extrapolate upwards from and it still be meaningful.
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
To be honest whether it be Kinect or the PS4 camera it will never take over from the good old joypad, well not for me but I kind of like some thing the things I'm hearing about them, especially Kinect and how it will be used with Dead Rising 3 using taunts! I just think it will add something extra so I personally look forward to seeing what developers come up with in the future for both Kinect and PS camera.
RICHARD 3 years ago
I expect lots of PS4 camera's on eBay December 1st
I doubt it.
Scott 3 years ago
What research are you basing that on, Gloria? Have you even done any, or are you just talking out of your a***? People want the mega bundle because they want the best possible package and don't want to miss out on anything. But no serious gamer wants to sit in front of their tv, waving their arms around like a maniac. Motion controls are for kids and the mentally ill.
My research? I worked it all out based on douches who think they are 'serious' gamers' ;)
If the motion controls add something to the experience then I will quite happily use them
Think Skyward Sword
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Of course nobody wants motion controls, just ask all the Playstation fans that bashed Xbox about Kinect.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I dont understand how someones mental condition would effect wether or not they liked motion controls or not.
They were just jealous it was better than eyetoy Whitey ;)
Aimee 3 years ago
I think people are jumping to conclusions now Sony have an -optional- camera bundle >.< I preordered the mega bundle but I don't want motion control in -all- my games, especially when its badly implemented. I like motion control in multiplayer/party games and only included in AAA games if it adds to the experience. Nintendo did this really well with some of their first party titles (shame most 3rd party games failed with it :/ ) so I'd love to see this in some titles, but overall I think Sony have it right: most gamers I've met prefer standard controls for single player games.