Ubisoft speak up on Watch Dogs delay

Ubisoft has spoken up on the Watch Dogs delay, saying that it's ultimate aim is to win the next generation.

"Our long-term goal is to win the next generation," a Ubisoft rep told IGN. "The tough decisions we took to fully realize the major potential of our new creations have an impact on our short-term performance but we are convinced that, longer term, they will prove to be the right decisions both in terms of satisfaction for our fans and in terms of value creation for our shareholders. We are building franchises that will become perennial pillars of Ubisoft’s financial performance."

Many gamers have been threatening to cancel their PS4 pre-order as a result of the delay, although we'll soon be able to tell you our position on how the affected pre-orders will be resolved, so please hang in there for now.

Edited On 17 Oct, 2013

Comments
Steersy's avatar
Steersy 3 years ago
While the delay is disappointing, I'd rather wait and have the game as good as it can be. Feel for those who ordered the bundle with the game, but as I got the mega-bundle I'm not affected outside of having to wait. Not sure the crew being delayed is as earth shattering though ;-)
MrChilliBeer's avatar
MrChilliBeer 3 years ago
This is very disappointing news indeed. Watchdogs was the only game I had pre-ordered as nothing else is that interesting (bar Destiny which we have to wait for until next year). I can understand their reason for wanting to publish a polished product but to hype the game up so much and cancel it this late in the day is a terrible decision (an no doubt one that is influenced by money given they have AC4 releasing at launch as well). Instead I (like many others) will make do with the offerings on PS Plus for now. This has really turned the launch of the PS4 into a bit of a wet weekend for me.
obie1980's avatar
obie1980 3 years ago
Working in the industry I'm confident that Watchdogs is as ready as it will ever be, and won't get much extra Polish. It will be released in April/May which falls nicely into the next fiscal year. Ubisoft know they're doing well financially, and they know Watch Dogs will sell in its millions, by pushing that release to the next fiscal year it means the company will again be pushing targets long before fiscal 2014. This is not a decision to benefit gamers, it's a decision to benefit a business Sadly Ubisoft are Notorious for it. (splinter cell and rainbow six titles have each met late delays due to hitting financial targets.) I guarantee watchdogs won't be released until the next fiscal year (April 2014) And I'm certain Ubisoft will be boasting about exceeding annual targets too.
MrChilliBeer's avatar
MrChilliBeer 3 years ago
I think you've hit the nail on the head there obie1980!
Nothing Ubisoft does is to benefit gamers, they are worse than EA and Activision put together.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
I won't cancel my PS4 preorder as long as the official Watch Dogs bundle also gets delayed until the release of Watch Dogs, but if it gets switched to another bundle, then I will cancel the preorder, as do not need the PS4 for now. Hopefully we will get a choice - wait until spring for Watch Dogs (for the official Watch Dogs bundle) if that is the only game interested in, or if want more than Watch Dogs and want PS4 in Nov, then switch to something else. It is a shame as the PS4 does not have many games at launch, and now it loses the best multi platfiorm game with extra exculsive content. If the PS4 turns out to be problematic by the time spring comes, then I doubt I will buy a PS4 at all, and just live with the Xbox ONE version. Sony should pay Ubisoft more money to keep it for launch, and delay Assassins Creed.
Darrell 3 years ago
Wonder when we'll find out what's going to happen. I would still rather have my PS4 and wait for Watch Dogs. Amazon and Game seem to have come up with their solutions so hopefully we will hear something very soon.
dave 3 years ago
Hopefully there'll be a battlefield 4 bundle :)
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Wait, so to win next-gen you have decided not to release your big game as a next-gen launch title to kick it off? Nice thinking.
They don't want to release it when it is not running perfectly (Also the same day as AC4 is a No-No)
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Rather they delayed AC4 to be honest, don't think anyone is that hyped for AC4 any way.
If they released AC4 and Watch Dogs at the same time most people would go for AC4 since it's a safe bet (& it's Pirates)
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Really? I thought the opposite, AC4 is the same game just different Assassin. Watch Dogs looks so much better.
To the people who keep up with gaming news yes but as you keep on saying "That's not where the money is"
Plus if I didn't already have a Pirate game that I loved I would probably go AC4 as well
PETE 3 years ago
Much rather ac4 delayed than w.dogs. i dont think they telling whole truth. They will prefer to have one title released than two as there will be a flood of games vying for attention. Same as the movies they never put all the blockbusters on at once. Tbh the crew didnt look finished in my opinion
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
If I had to choose one from AC4 or Watch Dogs it would be Watch Dogs. There have been enough AC to last a lifetime! The extra 60 mins of gameplay is also on the PS3, so if I can no longer get the PS4 Watch Dogs Bundle in Spring 2014, I will just get Xbox ONE version and (rent) PS3 version for extra 60 mins gameplay. I was drooling when I saw the PS4 Watchdogs Bundle, and had to get it. Its a shame, Sony go through the trouble of making an official and Ubisoft mess it all up.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Meh who cares about pirates? It's not going to make the game any better, probably make it worse.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I have high hopes for AC4 after 3 ( was not too keen on it). It does make sense to delay watchdogs so it is not competing with there own game and AC still has a big following compared to watchdogs which is something completely new so they do not know how well it will go down.
Joshua 3 years ago
I thought this said speed up :(.
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 3 years ago
Why do I have a feeling that ShopTo somehow biased towards Xbone? Where do you got that "Many gamers have been threatening to cancel their PS4 pre-order as a result of the delay" from if there's nothing about that by the IGN link you provided? When did Watch_Dogs became PS 4 exclusive??