Xbox LIVE Games with Gold now an "ongoing benefit"

Microsoft's Games with Gold promotion of two free Xbox 360 games per month for Xbox Live Gold members will now be an "ongoing benefit" for subscribers.

According to the Xbox website the promotion will now run indefinitely for Xbox LIVE members on Xbox 360, after only initially being slated to finish at the end of 2013.

So far Microsoft has given away titles such as Fable 3, Defense Grid: The Awakening, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas, Magic 2013, Crackdown, Dead Rising 2, Dead Rising 2: Case Zero and Halo 3.

Is this good news for you?

Edited On 18 Oct, 2013

Comments
wulfee's avatar
wulfee 3 years ago
Yeah, this is good news. Thanks to games with gold I have been introduced to Defense Grid which I probably wouldn't have bought but actually really enjoyed.
GQRDY's avatar
GQRDY 3 years ago
Free stuff is always good, wonder if it will continue over to Xbox one in the future.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 3 years ago
Microsoft have no choice but to carry on into xbox one as ps plus is five free games a month, on day one of ps4 i can download driveclub for free and other games , driveclub alone is 55 quid to buy , and i am an xbox 360 user not owned a ps3, as i think in the long run playstation is offering a lot more for your money
chaos prime's avatar
chaos prime 3 years ago
“ @Jay Drive Club is delayed till 2014, Watch Dogs delayed to 2014, Sony should just delay the PS4 to 2014 in time for the JP launch lol. Seems that's when the release obviously should be. As of right now, there is nothing on the PS4 to warrant its purchase.... Secondly, PS+ is a rental service. Anyone owning those games by MS, yes might not be new, but they own the legal rights to them. You stop paying for PS+ and lets see you play those precious games they offer. Never forget, PS+ is just a video game rental shop in disguise nothing more.... before you bemoan yes i use it and got stung on more than 1 occasion when i didn't have PS+ for a month or 2 so yeah its not all roses, but still a nice rental service none the less ”
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
Watch dogs been delayed also effects the Xbone you know? Drive club been delayed is a shame, but I'd prefer them to take there time, I'm not buying a console just for it's launch titles. As for the + only been a rental service argument, I give up answering that it just is not a valid argument, at all.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Only on 360? Meh, so I guess all those paying over £400 are not worth giving free games to, but those who don't buy one and stick to 360 and pay LIVE get free games.
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 3 years ago
I dont know how ps+ is not a rental service because if i don't keep paying i can't play the games.
lostcauz's avatar
lostcauz 3 years ago
Jay, I think you are getting a bit confused about the free driveclub they were offering. It was a stripped down version where you had to pay for more cars/tracks.
RICHARD 3 years ago
may as well just cancel this useless service all the games that MS offer are games that can be had for £1 on eBay,PS+ is just a rental service some say,I prefer to have the PS+ service even if some want to call it a "rental service" because of the £100's of games Ive been able to download free over PS+ for my PS3 & PSvita I have no plans in future to stop or cancel my subscribtion & will be still getting free games for PS4 when I get that for being a PS+ member resogun & now Contrast being made the 1st free downloadable games & ms is only confirmed this service where you get SH***y games is for the xbox360 so no go for xboxone future owners
Steersy's avatar
Steersy 3 years ago
Bit of fan boy action going on. As a 360 fan (for me the generations winner) I decided to go with the PS4 as it seems to me that Sony are listening more to developers. I wonder if MS would have allowed a release game from their stable to be held back for quality reasons after their perceived short comings in the initial next gen war? I'm guessing not, where Sony have said "OK, let's wait and get this right" I will be getting an XBone as well, but feel the initial round will go to Sony despite this minor setback. as iMerle said, Watch Dogs is also delayed on the XBone, so the titles missing are a stripped back FTP offering....not really that worried. My pre order remains as is, but whatever console you get, enjoy it and maybe...grow up a touch and let others enjoy their choice?
RICHARD 3 years ago
Fanboy action from the 360 boys is the norm,Im too a 360 owner (since launch) & a ps3 owner,& my comment wasn#t trying to be fanboyish but to defend the great service what the PS+ is.As all you tend to hear from ms fnboys when topics for xboxlive/Ps+ come up are rental service as they no deep down inside what a great deal PS+ users are getting & there other one regarding the PS4 is launch titles,I have my PS4 preo-ordered & got BF4 & killzone preordered so that gives me 4 games if you include resogun & contrast PS+ downloads :D to tie me offer xmas
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
This is good news, thought they might. Watch Dogs being delayed affects the PS4 more than the Xbox ONE, as 1) The PS4 has extra exclusive content and 2) There was an official bundle with Watch Dogs, I had PS4 preordered just for that game, even though I could have got it for the Xbox ONE, so no Watch Dogs = No PS4 for me. For me the initial round goes to Xbox ONE, PS4 still has to prove itself. So far Sony are offering a moon on a stick, and so far only getting the stick. Microsoft are offering just a stick, and end up offering a moon on a stick, from the DRM reversals to the free games with the Xbox ONE. I am a 360 fan boy, but I am not a Xbox ONE fanboy yet, after first hearing of the DRM I was disgusted by it, so looked long and hard at Sony to get PS4 for next gen instead but it has nothing of interest yet, and the Xbox ONE is dishing up more games that fancy me more than any other console in the past, so even if it had the DRM still I would have broke down and got it over PS4. If the PS4 starts getting the games later on then I will switch my view, there is plenty of time to switch camps, but too late to be a PS3 fan boy.
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 3 years ago
That is good news, since it means Xbox Live Gold ain't as must of a ripoff anymore
RICHARD 3 years ago
@tony should never buy a £400 console on just its launch titles,when buying such machine you should base your decisions over the long haul,there will be great titles for both machines my preference is PS4 I just see this console the better one to go for other the longer period,may pck up a xboxone in a few more years depending on price & what exclusive games are around for the machine at the time
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
Goodness, this again... Why do Xboxers think they have a leg to stand on when trying to put the down the excellent PS+? Most of them have been paying the same money for years for what is essentially permission to connect to the internet from their console. Sort of like a *rental* service in itself... once you stop paying for it, you can no longer use the online functionality to play your games online. Its great you'll continue getting some free games(free is always good) but at the same time the games are ancient and can be bought for next to nothing. Don't knock PS+, I'm one of many who have been reaping its benefits for a while now and it'll now give me online gaming for PS4 while still providing relatively new games and discounts for the PS3, Vita and now the PS4 all on the same account at the same price... The rental argument holds little creedence and is clutching at straws, both services cost practically the same but one's benefits far out weigh those of the other...
Also you won't need PS+ to use Apps like Netflix on the PS4
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Who uses Netflix?
A lot of people
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
I like the Games with Gold as I bought Gold before this promotion started, so all games are free, and when Gold expires (if I choose to not keep it going) they will still be playable and free. Each service is only good for what you want, I was chuffed with Dead Rising 2 as I did not have it but wanted it, and looking at the games free on PS+ I have them already anyway, and in some cases I buy disc versions cheap in sales and then play, and resell for a profit when price goes back up. PS+ is constant money. If they end up churning out the same quality of games with PS4 and ongoing now that to play PS4 games online you need the PS+, then it will indeed be an awesome service, but I can not see them keeping up giving all these level of games for free for long (it is too good to be true). It worked with PS3 as that did not need a fee to play online games, and they needed to give these free gamet to get people to pay the annual fee like Xbox Gold
madeinwales's avatar
madeinwales 3 years ago
Not good at all . While it cant be knocked , getting something for nothing , have you seen the games ? Any true fanboy will already own them or have played them and so the games are pointless. Give xbox gold users a free yrs s subscription to gold, you can afford it and it wont b forgotten for a long time . But the free games on PS+ ( approx 5 a month) I thought was a great idea till I read you have to pay the yearly subscription to play them , once it expires they are as good as gone . Im sticking with xbox gold for its unrivalled online matchmaking capabilities. And while RTLF says that its basically ' permission to connect to the internet from their console ' you are getting just a bit more than that from the service. Your online is brilliant your Games with Gold are naff
Simon 3 years ago
As a PS3 fan, I can only say that this is a good thing :-) I'm glad Microsoft and Sony are trying to one up each other. Makes for a very competitive market, and I'm the winner :-) PS+ as a service is great in my opinion. Once I obtain games, then that's great cause I can play them, and they are relatively new. Microsofts offering is also great. May be old games, but they are games you can play even without the service. Like I said. Everyone's a winner :-)
Simon 3 years ago
As a PS3 fan, I can only say that this is a good thing :-) I'm glad Microsoft and Sony are trying to one up each other. Makes for a very competitive market, and I'm the winner :-) PS+ as a service is great in my opinion. Once I obtain games, then that's great cause I can play them, and they are relatively new. Microsofts offering is also great. May be old games, but they are games you can play even without the service. Like I said. Everyone's a winner! Time for a - PANTS PARTY!! :-)
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
Free games whatever they are is awesome, but I would settle for cheap games in sales like Steam, although Xbox seems to be getting there, currently Battlestations Pacifiic is on sale for 80% at £3.99, and they have done some mega sales over a few days too like Steam. Both Xbox and PS have free games with pros and cons - Xbox free games are totally free as you are mainly paying to play games online and other services, not to get the free games, and you get to keep them forever even without a Gold subscription, whereas PS+ games are more recent and free only if you keep the PS+ subscription. For PS3 you are just paying a subscription to get free games, the PS4 will be better value, if they keep up the quality of games, as the subscription also pay for playing games online, like GOLD. If there are decent games to play online with PS4 I will probably have to get a PS+ subscription then, but I find it hard to pay the PS+ sub just for the games. Games with Gold is a good promotion, the Grab a game promotion is not too great, as it hardly works well, and is now expiring at the end of October - I guess it caused too much hassle. They did not make it clear that games had to be released after Aug 30th, and I played Splinter Cell Blacklist and Saints Row IV for 10 hours each and did not get credit, as they released on Aug 23rd. Many other people fell for this too, virtually every day on the Xbox forums, people are puzzled why they did not get 1000 credits for these games.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
At least they have realised that they need to keep this up and improve on it, remember that playstation plus was not as good as it is now when it first started it took a few years before they started giving away full games did it not?