Xbox One doesn't need Kinect plugged in to function

A new series of ads have appeared for the Xbox One showing that it no longer needs Kinect attached in order to function and that you can trade, share and swap your disc based games.

When Microsoft first announced Xbox One there was a lot of confusion as to what you could and couldn't do, in fact Microsoft had even insisted numerous times over the last few months that although you could turn off Kinect from the system settings, the machine would not work unless it was plugged in. However that has all changed and these Xbox Facts seem to exist to clear these matters up.

The big question is, does this mean a bundle minus Kinect could now be a possibility? Well Microsoft has said that will never happen, but should Sony take a lead due to the price difference over the next few years, could it change its mind.

Edited On 21 Oct, 2013

Comments
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 3 years ago
So now it does not need kinect at all if you don't want to, but Microsoft say they wont provide an xbox without it , good going Microsoft you don't need it but your buying it anyway coz we said so , and thought it was for the gamers, what ever happened to giving the customer what they want
Shoozle's avatar
Shoozle 3 years ago
Since Microsoft love to go back on their word so much, I expect a kinctless SKU announcement in a week or two.
There won't be one before release, but I fully expect it to happen within a year.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
If it doesnt need it why force people to get it. If it didnt come with kinect and was then cheaper I could be tempted to pick one up with my PS4.
yoda soldier's avatar
yoda soldier 3 years ago
I think the reason is they want developers to integrate into games which i get. I believe the ps4 camera can pick up the ps4 controller, but if not many people buy the camera no one will use that function.I think thats why there is a ps4 super bundle that everyone was going crazy for.
Ironically a lot of those were ones that complained about having kinect forced on them.
Azirius's avatar
Azirius 3 years ago
I don't quite understand why people don't want the Kinect bundled with the system. I mean, if developers know that there is a 100% adoption rate for a peripheral then that means a higher chance for them to program specific functionality for it. This nonsense about it being used as a observation tool for the government is quite simply ludicrous. If the government wants to spy on you there is already a hundred and one different ways to do it. I am personally looking forward to the system and it's features come 22nd of November.
DARKST4R's avatar
DARKST4R 3 years ago
kinect will always be bundled because they want every game developer to have the option to use it with new game titles, plus knowing every user has one its more likely to happen. until the console is launched nobody can really fully comment on it because the full experience with it has not been tested with games or using it as a added function and ability to control your console using voice and hands free motion. i hear what everyone is saying and i was not keen on the first kinect, although i did try it? im happy to test out the new one. even if i use it or do not.. at a price point, yes it is possible maybe in a year or two that the console will ship without it. but what iv read over and over from different members from the Microsoft team that XboxOne will never ship without one. I think alot of people are very harsh in terms of saying its forced. microsoft have changed alot and listened to the user and given the gaming console you wanted.
DARKST4R's avatar
DARKST4R 3 years ago
i 110% agree with with Azirius.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
I dont want it because I have the original kinect and only used it for about 10 hours I dont want video game makers just to add gimmicky things into games just to use kinect it spoils a lot of games. So I dont want a device that I dont want to use and be made to pay for the privelige.
DARKST4R's avatar
DARKST4R 3 years ago
im a core gamer, and yeah i was the same as you i got kinect used it then didnt bother with it, as i prefer the full hands on controller gaming. for price point i understand, the option would be nice. but this is all in one console and bundle and i think they want every user to have the ability to use the full functions of the console if they use it or not. im sure most games that have it featured will have the ability to turn off or the console it self detect if a kinect is pluged in or not. it makes me laugh a tad because over on the ps4 side gamers are happy with price point but mad at no camera lol
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 3 years ago
It's because the kinect is a gigantic gimmick, who In there right minds wants to jump about to play a game or shouting random voice commands or using stupid hand gestures or even using as a mic? People have been happy without kinect for years so why do we need kinect this time round? Oh coz they've put more time into, everyone's will have one with the xbox one so developers can take full advantage of the kinect? Erm nah if developers wanna make gimmicky games they should all fuck off over to the Nintendo wii! Kinect will stay in it box in a cardboard collecting dust for the pointless gimmick that I don't need nor want!
Calm down dear ;)
b3ddo3's avatar
b3ddo3 3 years ago
And Danny is a proud owner of a Nokia 3310, he doesn't need a colour screen or a camera on the back if he wants to take picture he will by a separate camera. Touch screen you say nooo I am happy with buttons. To everyone who says they played with the 1st kinect and doesn't want the next one, you need to open your minds everything improves over time, I can see everyone having a kinect like device in around 10 years. I truly believe that MS are looking into the future. Minority Report we all said looked awesome kinect is just the start of something like that. sorry Danny even though you were mentioned it wasn't a direct go at you but all unwilling to give it a chance before it releases
DARKST4R's avatar
DARKST4R 3 years ago
yeah im all for that myself. like i said i used 1st kinect it was ok. didnt use it alot. but i will try the new kinect simply because its new. has new features and something fresh and new to the table. why not? im not about to fault microsoft on it. plus like i said wont no until you give it ago, and ya never no might change alot of critics views and justify its price point. if you dont want a camera (kinect) go and buy a ps4. although i hope a option to turn off the light bars on the ps4 controller or thats going to waste the battery as its searching for the camera so dont see the point the ps4 doesnt ship with one either lol
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 3 years ago
Im not going to buy a ps4 that would be stupid id rather keep my 360, anyhow the only thing of a slight interest I can think of that might be ok-ish to use with kinect is the "xbox record" thing with the whole built in dvr thing but that’s about it and i don’t think that’s a good enough reason to use kinect.
DARKST4R's avatar
DARKST4R 3 years ago
danny i understand your points you are making. but u need to think of the whole community on this. there will be a percentage who use and love kinect and one that do not. just because you personally do not want one doesnt mean everyone agrees. the price is high beacause you are paying for high tech technology. and microsoft are here to make money and sell a product. imagine if they shipped the console without it? all these new features you cant use or test out... when shipped together you have your own option to use it or not.
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
The fact is microsoft are catering to EVERYONE. Its a shame that you dont realise that the sort of people that love and use kinect aren't the sort of people that really use forums and the like. Fact is mine gets used every other weekend by my nephew. I have used KINECT "2.0", and it is a colossal improvement over the original.
Jon Boy's avatar
Jon Boy 3 years ago
Well said Jay (top post). Microsoft now changed their mind probably due to lack of pre-orders. They should have come out and said this first along with a xbox only bundle. Glad i stick with Sony.
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
well tbh the price difference is minimal when you add a camera and a game to make the bundles comparable. and from what ive seen and played, the Xbox games are playing far better than the PS4 ones.
Jon Boy's avatar
Jon Boy 3 years ago
@Darkstar, High tech technology, since when has the xbox one been high tech, its not got much more that a mid range laptop. Apart from the Kinect. So basically your saying the the xbox is worth buying just for kinect cos that's the only high tech piece of hardware in the box. Kinect is used for 2 types of people, kids & hackers.
Jon Boy's avatar
Jon Boy 3 years ago
I like the title Joe "Xbox One doesn't need Kinect plugged in to function" no your right it needs a MASSIVE power brick and 2 AA batteries. lol.
DARKST4R's avatar
DARKST4R 3 years ago
JonBoy-3 was talking about kinect and how advance it has become since the first one
Jon Boy's avatar
Jon Boy 3 years ago
@Darkstar Sorry my bad.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Really can not wait till these consoles are out so we can get rid of all these silly back and forth arguments. On topic though did they not announce this a few months ago?
Jon Boy's avatar
Jon Boy 3 years ago
You won't get rid of these arguments though, they're still going on with PS3 & 360. ;)
DARKST4R's avatar
DARKST4R 3 years ago
before everyone jumps the gun about which console is better then the other it will all come down to game preference, where your friends are. and the true difference will be the individual exclusive titles for that system. ps4 with kill zone sf and xboxone with forza 5 for example. apart from that games will look the same...
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
On here though they were not as frequent as some of ther other places.
DARKST4R's avatar
DARKST4R 3 years ago
yeah true. but this gen is far worse. and if you ever been on ign its horrible. its like a war of the fanboys there
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
On here they werent as frequent because the userbase was low. They still existed. User base grows, they become more obvious.
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
I'm not sure why people keep saying "Kinect is forced upon us"? We all have a choice right? well not unless some Microsoft heavies will turn up at your house on November 22nd and march you down by gun point and force you to hand over your cash ;-) Don't like it, don't buy it I say, simple! .... As for the fanboys, these guys and girls really are cringe worthy to read, I still can't believe some get so uptight if others are buying something different to them lol, always reminds me of the talk in the school playground , "My brother is way biggers than your brother" lol. As for Kinect itself, I quite enjoyed the first one and by the sounds of things we will see it used a lot more this time around so I'm personally looking forward to seeing what it can do. Well whatever your choice folks, Xbox One, PS4, both, not long to go now, I personally can't wait :-)
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
This is very old news. Don't know why MS keep posting all these "facts" images when we already know it all and nobody cares. I swear I've seen the "Did you know your gamer card and Gamerscore carry over with you to Xbox One?" about 100 times, yes I did bloody know that so stop telling me.
MS are attention whores ;)
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
LMAO another one they just posted 15 mins ago... "Did you know... With Xbox One you control your privacy" They are making themselves look retarded. Making out like it's some new cool feature nobody knew about, oh by the way guys did you know you can actually change your own privacy settings on your console?
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
Did you know the xbox one plays vhs?