Thursday Chat, October 24

TV. That seems to be a word that Microsoft likes, but is it a word you like?

What do you think about TV on consoles? What applications do you use on consoles - Netflix, BBC iPlayer, 4OD? What do you like about using these apps on your console and does the thought of Kinect One integration excite you?

Let's Chat!

Edited On 24 Oct, 2013

Comments
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
I just have regular broadband because Fibre Optic is taking forever and a day to come over and whenever I try to use these I just get forever buffering. So I use none. And honestly don't care about the feature until BT/Virgin/Local Council get off their asses and sort the area out (seriously. The next block of houses over DOES have it.)
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 3 years ago
Just started using Netflix as Lovefilm has gone down the shitter.
Don't really bother, I get most the on demand stuff through my cable box so just use that, I'll occasionally download a TV show if it's going to take too long to come to the channels I get, but now I've got a new TV with a USB slot I can just watch it directly through the TV rather than my Xbox now.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Thats the thing TV seems to be changing so was a bit confused when Xbox one started pushing TV. Lovefilm seem to have been run into the ground by Amazon had it for a while but the content was pretty poor to be honest. Netflix seems to be really pushing on even acquiring the final season of Breaking Bad and airing it day after it aired in the states. Netflix seems to be coming more popular so you would be better getting a PS3, PS4 or Wii U as you dont have to pay a subscription to use them.
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
occasionally use BBC iPlayer on muh 360, mostly just watch stuff direct from a USB through the TV. but then again a lot of people wont be comfortable with that (like people that refuse to allow use of the buttons on the TV itself....). at the end of the day all the TV stuff is a bolt on anyways, i'll use it if it works and see what its like, but it doesn't affect my decision in any way shape or form.
agentsmith007's avatar
agentsmith007 3 years ago
I have sky which has all the catch up channels, a decent amount of box sets and the movies are available long before Netflix and lovefilm , ok it's not the cheapest option but in my opinion a games console is for gaming, would you buy a sky box if they started offering basic games? I admit I'm a playstation fan so the xbox one with all it's not bells and whistles still doesn't have an effect , I am sure it will be a nice game's machine but they are putting to much into the whole media package when majority of people all ready have the tv packages they want, Sony are bringing out a GAMES machine with extra media options if you want them, not a Microsoft hdtv satellite box with the extra option to play games. I am not a fan boy i just like the idea of a tv for watching tv and a games console for playing games. . Roll on the 29th November. ..
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
it is a games console for playing games, i don't get why everyone is so stuck up on TV honestly. Microsoft knew it was for games so they showed other features. and since when do ADDITIONAL FEATURES become a negative? you can buy a car, a plain ordinary car. or do you buy the one with all the nice things like air con, radio, sat nav ect
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
In your analogy IGS a car salesman first words when showing someone a car wouldnt be look it has a radio and Sat Nav which is basically what Microsoft did.
If it was a good additional feature, like a hot tub in the back, they might.
I used to use my Xbox to watch Crunchyroll, I say used cos right now my Xbox is in its box
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
they dont say oh look its a car, it lets you drive places, they bumble on about the nice crap. Analogies aside, at eurogamer the xbox was ahead of the Ps4 in terms of games.
Samka's avatar
Samka 3 years ago
I use my PS3 to watch BBC iplayer, Crunchyroll and Netflix. Wouldn't be hugely bothered if it didn't have the feature to do so as the main purpose of my games console is, you know, to play games, but it does make things convenient.
Samka's avatar
Samka 3 years ago
also off topic but does anyone know when Dual Destinies is gonna make an appearance on the Nintendo E-store? Have checked a couple of times this morning but it still says 'coming soon'
For anyone interested in helping games on Greenlight http://groupees.com/bagb4
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
I only use youtube & crunchy roll but rarely really. I think console's should remain gaming only personally but MS think a lot different it seems. Im glad sony & nintendo are focusing on the most important thing gaming. Also what's going on with shopto lately the profile pic's are mega messed up disappearing then repapering & i can not still change my pic its been what 3 weeks since this problem showed up. Just wondering anyone else having trouble trying to change there avatar pic?
agentsmith007's avatar
agentsmith007 3 years ago
Don't get me wrong-any additional features is a good thing but like most people have said, if they are worth while and new features but the ability to watch tv on my games console isn't a new thing, you could do that on your ps2. The xbox one will I am sure have its advantages over the ps4 but unfortunately for Microsoft they've have lost all but the loyal due to there "I'M THE DADDY" stance when it came to dealing with gamers. And as for the the xbox having a better showing at eurogamer expo, this means nothing majority of xbox one games are cross platform bar a handful, ps4 exclusives will come through soon just look at what xbox player's missed this generation- uncharted, killzone, God of war, heavy rain, beyond two souls, last of us-the list could go on and on. ... Sony invest in game development company's to offer the exclusivity of games where Microsoft just write cheques to individuals for early DLC and a few minor exclusives. I know the xbox lover's will now try to attack me in some way but in all honesty i am a gamer and have been since the early 70's and like to think all this competitiveness can only benefit the gamer as it only in courages the game company's to improve their hardware and software. .all gamer respect to the xbox one gamers out there. ....hello...hello...any out there. .......jokes aside next gen is a month away for either side so let's enjoy it. ....
Eshop usually updates around lunchtime Samka.
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
lets be honest the argument will never end really. i'm happy either way as the only exclusives i want are dead rising and titanfall, and then again i was on the fence for both til eurogamer :P at the end of the day everyone is different and between me and the group of friends i play in we've decided on XBone. again it really doesn't matter to them, but i want the kinect for my nephew, and the more technically minded decided on it too. but really the biggest game for us is battlefield 4 anyways :)
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
On my console I don't use any apps. I can hook the laptop up to the TV if needs be but I tend to find I just watch most things like that one the laptop with the TV off. The console pretty much is just for gaming and watching disc based media (films and TV shows). The reason for this is mainly that the laptop is booted up when I get home and so it's just "easier". Also, streaming on my PS3 used to be poor whereas it was decent on the laptop. Although I am now on a faster connection so it could be better than it used to be. Just with SmartTVs on the way and other streaming devices at a fraction of the cost, I don't really see this as a winnable race for the consoles. A nice added extra, but it is more likely I'd use the same service on another device than on my console.
The final phase of the Dark Souls 2 Network Test is now available to download from the PSN store for PS+ members. Date: Sunday 27th October Time: 7:00am to 10:00am GMT
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
ahh the fanboys return.
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 3 years ago
I use Crunchyroll a lot on my PS3 and Netflix from time to time and love that you have the option to use them.
Is Cowboy Bebop on Crunchyroll, and is it a free service?
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 3 years ago
@Gloria Cowboy Bebop is not on Crunchyroll and yes Crunchyroll is free if, you don't mind waiting 1 week to watch the latest episode of this season Anime.
Shame, that's the only anime I really like.
Have you tried anything else? There are a lot that are of the same quality of Bebop