Games of a Generation - what's your favourites?

Tomorrow we are recording the latest episode of our podcast and we have a question for you.

This week's topic is Games of a Generation - in other words, what games are your favourite games from the PS3/Xbox 360 era?

It's a tough question and we've been thinking all about our favourites. But what are your picks?

If you have any other questions/topics you'd like us to cover in the podcast then make sure you mention them below, along with your answer to the above question.

Edited On 30 Oct, 2013

Comments
Joey B's avatar
Joey B 3 years ago
I'd go with ... The Last of Us ... GTA 5 ... Red Dead Redemption ... Dead Rising 2 ... Batman Arkham Asylum ... Halo 4
ANDREW 3 years ago
For me it's red dead no 1, fallout 3, skyrim, batman AA, battlefield 3.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
PS3/360? You forgot Wii. Anyways. Mario Galaxy 1 + 2, Xenoblade Chronicles, NIER, Skyward Sword, Smash Bros Brawl, Tomb Raider, Fallout New Vegas all off the top of my head.
Curt 3 years ago
Fallout 3, Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted 2, The Last of Us, Halo 3, GTA V, Bioshock, Oblivion. Just to name a few.
Dark Souls/Demon Souls, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Journey, Dragon's Dogma
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Oblivion the first time you step out of that sewer is amazing. Some of my other ones would be Gears of War, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Borderlands and Left 4 Dead.
humph's avatar
humph 3 years ago
my favourite game series is without a shadow of a doubt the uncharted games,also worth a mention god of war,but naughty dog are the king of games
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
I thought Yugioh was the king of games >___> Also forgot about Journey, that was amazing. And Arkham Asylum and Bioshock (THE FIRST ONE!) are both great. As was Tomb Raider. (Moreso for putting Naughty Dog to shame with their ripoff)
Spear 25's avatar
Spear 25 3 years ago
I agree with zombieflamingo. I remember thinking this truly is next gen when I walked around on oblivion. But my choice would be The Last Of Us, I just think its a class act. Other great games include Infamous series, Uncharted series, and also Skyrim.
Technically Atem was the King of Games, although Yugi did beat him in the last episode. (What a Dual)
squarewindow's avatar
squarewindow 3 years ago
I wrote a forum post on this very topic a few weeks ago: http://www.ffwa.org/boards/showpost.php?p=1633455&postcount=54
dollydolman22's avatar
dollydolman22 3 years ago
Uncharted 1 & 2, Burnout Paradise, DiRT 2, GTA V, and maybe Fable 3. Spent far too much time (and in the case of re-buying Burnout on different platforms, money) on all of the,
greygrendon's avatar
greygrendon 3 years ago
Gotta be The Last of Us, probably one of the best games I will ever play, heavy rain and uncharted have to be up there too though!!
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 3 years ago
There have been so many great games this decade and some poor ones. For originality alone, The Last of Us has to take this crown. The enemies are so varied and in fact my most joyous moments with the game have to be contending with the Clickers and different ways to kill them. The story is also jaw dropping and in places emotional. The most impressive game I would say has to be Grand Theft Auto 5. An absolute quality game oozing with class. I'm confident it will be ported to next gen however. Best series hmmm would be a hard one but I would go with Dead Space over Unchartered. Dead Space was similar to Resident Evil 4 however it evolved the premise with zero gravity and intriguing puzzles. The best of the series certainly was the second entry. Other mentions have to go to Tomb Raider (one of the best games I've ever played), God of War 3, Mortal Kombat and Bulletstorm (sleeper hit of this gen). It was also the generation of HD remakes with the best being God of War collections 1 & 2, Metal Gear Solid and Tomb Raider (although underworld wasn't a remake, it was the poorest game on the disc). So the Worst game... Early on Clive Barkers Jerico had as many dirty flies on it as it's opening scene. Eat Lead was just poor, but the worst of the worst was Mindjack - a great idea completely ruined, it was unplayable... Just so so poor. The AI was static and characters uninteresting... Put it to your readers, who played and bothered completing this game? I wanted to like it, but it was like trying to enjoy herpes... You can't.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 3 years ago
I had a lot of fun on skyrim but as above , the last of us i just cant forget , i actually felt proper emotions playing that game, naughty dog created a masterpiece with that game, not just one of he best games of this generation also one of the best movies of the generation as the story was gripping beating most movies
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Clive Barkers Jericho. A game I hadn't heard of since I played the demo. I actually enjoyed the demo but doubt I'd have enjoyed the full game.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Mass Effect was the best games on this console anyway for me. Just brilliance all round. ME2 being the best of them all.
Jericho was quite a good game
Shoozle's avatar
Shoozle 3 years ago
Demon's/Dark Souls, i'd say Demons takes the cake but I never really did PVP on it as much as Dark. Xenoblade Chronicles, made owning the Wii worth it for me as not many other titles appealed to me. Valkyria Chronicles and damn Sega to hell for releasing the sequels on PSP and not even localising the good sequel. Elite Beat Agents because it is the hypest video game of all time. And finally, Ghost Trick for the amazing style, humour, characters, story and writing. More people need to play Ghost Trick. And EBA. And the other 2. I wish more people played good video games.
Shoozle you do know that Peeve has went to effort to bring back Demons right? The is activity on the EU servers not as much as the NA severs though so you can just get a NA copy
Shoozle's avatar
Shoozle 3 years ago
I have been subbed to him for a while but never really took note. I have probably put about 20 hours into Demons the past 2 weeks and only ever saw ghosts in the tutorial and nexus, but nowhere else. Had no invasions and seen no summon signs. I could buy it again but eh, cannot really afford to at the moment.
The event was only on Sunday
Daniel 3 years ago
Bioshock Infinite and The Walking Dead (Telltale) No other games came close
Dave 3 years ago
Metal gear sold 4 has to be my fav closely followed by the uncharted series and heavy rain should get a mention too
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Forgot about Valkyria Chronicles. A superb game and one of the more unique IPs. Catherine too. Ghost Trick was great too (I try not to lump handheld titles with the console ones due to there being a huge amount of superb ones to the consoles.) also worth shouting out Ni No Kuni. I don't like mentioning HD games in comparison to new games. But if we are then the recently released Kingdom Hearts is easily one of the better ones (that and Wind Waker HD have pretty much made most of the rest of the year an embarrassment.) and not a HD one but Metroid Trilogy was epicly amazing too.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
For me its Uncharted series especially 2. Also I think Platinum have made the most fun games with Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta.
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
Oblivion is probably the game I played the most on this last gen. Any of the Halo games are going to be up there but my Xbox game(s) of choice are the two Left 4 Deads (with the first being the better). On the PS3 my game of the generation has to be The Last of Us. I've only played it once through but it is the game that has left the most lasting impression on me.
dave 3 years ago
Mine would have to be the Halo series, Battlefield 3 and Just Cause 2 and Skyrim. JC2 was so much fun and i wish they kept making fun games rather than the same old FPS and TPS that is copy and pasted.
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 3 years ago
Xbox - Tales of Vesperia Playstation 3 - Hyperdimension Neptunia MK2
MK2 was good but no that good
warden976's avatar
warden976 3 years ago
Red Dead Redemption, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, CoD4:Modern Warfare and Arkham City. Would be interested to hear your impressions of Dark Souls II beta :)
Why hear them when you can see them http://youtu.be/Ee5-_oawAfs .......... Sorry for the plug
Oh and btw, it wasn't a Beta
warden976's avatar
warden976 3 years ago
cheers for the link... i refer to it as a beta as that's what sony refer to it as... http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/10/23/dark-souls-ii-and-destiny-of-spirits-betas-coming-to-playstation-plus/ http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/09/05/we-need-you-for-the-dark-souls-ii-beta/ https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/games/dark-souls-ii-closed-beta-registration-ticket/cid=EP0700-BLET50006_00-SE00010000000000
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Can i just ask how is it not a beta? Not arguing just curious to know.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Nox has just been schooled.
It is a Network Test, most of the things in the "Beta" are subject to change
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
So more like the stress tests you get near the end of the betas?
Exactly and it is a good thing they do do this test cos it worked for half of Phase 1 and didn't work for Phase 2
Haha, I said do do
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Yeah I do not understand why the big multiplayer games do not do proper betas with stress testing.
David 3 years ago
Tomb Raider. I absolutely freaking LOVED that game.
Bonesinferno's avatar
Bonesinferno 3 years ago
Metal Gear Solid Legacy, Mass Effect Trilogy, Batman Arkham Trilogy, Uncharted Trilogy, Fallout 3 & New Vegas, GTA 5, Red Dead Redemption, The Last Of Us, Sonic Generations.
Baiken_'s avatar
Baiken_ 3 years ago
Most of these have been said already i think but Nier is definitely a stand out fave of mine it had a great story and ost, Valkyria Chronicles (was playing again last week) this game will stand the test of time, Deus Ex: HR, Uncharted Series, Dark Souls, Tomb Raider, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock 1, FF: Crisis Core, Heavenly Sword, Mirror's Edge.
Baiken_'s avatar
Baiken_ 3 years ago
+ Journey
Nope, as said it the Podcast Journey doesn't count cos it is too short
gadget101's avatar
gadget101 3 years ago
After completing Beyond Two Souls, it has to be my favorite game of all time. It's absolutely excellent, I highly recommend it.