Call of Duty: Ghosts runs at 720p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

Last night, Mark Rubin from Infinity Ward took to twitter to answer the rumours that had recently been circling the internet.

Rubin confirmed that the Xbox One version of the game will run at 720p upscaled to 1080p, whereas the Playstation 4 version of the game will run at a native 1080p constantly.

Here's Mark Rubin, Infinity Ward Executive Producer's statement:

Hey, been on the road last couple weeks so haven’t had a chance to update, but wanted to confirm that for Xbox One we’re 1080p upscaled from 720p. And, we’re native 1080p on PS4. We optimized each console to hit 60 FPS and the game looks great on both. Still on the road, but glad to see the great reception to Extinction. Can’t wait for next week's launch.

For those who don't know native resolution is technically and visually superior to upscaling. With upscaling, a method used a fair amount on the Xbox 360, used to improve the overall look but remember, upscaling cannot add detail that wasn't there in the first place.

Edited On 31 Oct, 2013

Comments
ROFL
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
Anyone else getting a headache with all this 720p Vs 1080p, comparison videos, I mean who really cares? It was exactly the same before the 360 and PS3 launched. ( I'll have both consoles at some point ) I looked at some BF4 XB1/PS4 comparison videos yesterday, I know the retard fanboys/girls are going over them with a magnifying glass but I'm really struggling to see the difference, maybe I need new glasses? Reminds me of being back in school, "My dad would kick your dads backside", jesus, if what console has the better graphics is the only thing you got to worry about in life then you've got it real easy.
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
Hey OT. It's just another upgrade in resolution. 1080p has nearly twice the resolution as 720p, thus it can be twice as detailed. However, they're both extremely detailed and it's not like the jump from standard definition to high definition and thus not as noticeable. The next noticeable leap will be to 4K. That said, it doesn't bode well that at launch the PS4 console is able to run at almost twice the graphical definition as the Xbox One. No doubt the Xbox will catch up but the point is it's playing catch up from the get go. But you are right, this is just going to be another issue fan boys are going to use to beat each other with
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
in blind tests i doubt you could accurately tell which is which. people just fanboy/girl over larger numbers. the XO's Upscaler is amazingly complex, and will output an unnoticably different picture tbh. the news that i find hilarious! the PlayStation 4 won't play MP3s and lacks DLNA media server functionality! basically what 80% of my friends used their PS3s for!
If you are using a 1080p screen you sure as hell can tell the difference, that's why I can't stand playing in 720p when I'm recording. 1080i is the lesser of the two evils
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I was having this debate on another site it all depends on what size screen you are using http://img.digitaltrends.com/image/720vs1080-625x1000.png this chart.
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
really? going from 1080p movies/programs to 720p versions on a 1080p screen, theres so little difference its unreal. the difference gets even smaller in motion which 99.9% of games have a lot of.
sam_w's avatar
sam_w 3 years ago
Anybody who thinks it doesn't make a difference is sorely mistaken. 1920x1080 vs 1280x720 is well over double the pixel count. The fact that the PS4 is effectively rendering everything that the Xbox is rendering twice, plus a bit, is a little worrying considering that this is only the very beginning of the life-cycle of the concoles!
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I have both a 40" TV and a 24" monitor i can notice the difference between 1080p and 720p on the TV but not on the minitor.
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
im talking 21" monitor and 52" TV.
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
Another thing I see others mentioning, when you run these comparison videos DON'T let the gamers know which version is which, when you plaster "XB1" or "PS4" all over them, obvious what each set of fans would choose, take that away and my bet is most would struggle to see the differences. Me I just can't wait to get my hands on these machines and start playing the games, November is going to drag :-(
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
I recently upgraded from 720p to 1080p. I notice the difference. Hell, I did so on the old 720p when it upscaled to 1080i for photographs I had taken. But I think Tootell's graph makes a valid point. There is more at play than just the pixel count. Distance, size of screen, etc all factor into the viewing experience
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
don't forget, by the time it gets to the screen its been upscaled to 1080p. so the whole 720p vs 900/1080p is moot anyways.
sam_w's avatar
sam_w 3 years ago
But the fact that the Xbox One is struggling with 1080p even with launch titles does not bode well for the future. As more demanding games come out, developers will have to start lowering the native resolution, which could very well mean that we start seeing sub 720p games - not even HD. Hardly very 'next-gen'.
DAN 3 years ago
Though Forza is running at full 1080P, could just be a case of the developers have not had enough time to develop the game/understand the SDK?
Next you will say there is no difference between 30FPS-60FPS-120FPS
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
Anyway, in regards to COD Ghosts, 720p or 1080p, so you've got a choice of a turd or a slightly more polished turd, sorry I couldn't resist, bit childish of me ;-p
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
my thoughts, i'd say it was underutilisation of the complex hardware available. whereas the PS4 is basically a PC, they leart from last gen to not make a console too complex. microsoft have now done this and gone too complex. and the fact that the PS4 uses GDDR5 means it'll be better with graphically intensive tasks. the xbox will outstrip it on raw computation however. there is a difference between FPS, a much much more noticeable one. and i would take FPS over a res buff at HD.
Space next time you are on your console go to the settings and change it to 720p for a day or so then change it back
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
(FPS over res up to 120fps, at which point its basically pointless to increase.)
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Nox the human eye cannot process more than approximately 76 FPS.
You feel the difference
sam_w's avatar
sam_w 3 years ago
@Im Going Space What the hell are you on about? They are both using PC architecture, so your argument is completely invalid. They both have AMD Jaguar CPUs and they both have an ATI gpu. And "xbox will outstrip it on raw computation" ?!?!?! Where did you get this from?? The PS4's CPU is clocked higher (even with the OC Microsoft added last minute), and the PS4's GPU is almost 50% more powerful than the Xbox GPU. Please do some research before saying silly things.
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
ah if my work pc's mointor was full HD i'd knock up some videos, in fact i have my contour in my bag, tempted to do 1080@60 and 720@60, but need something consistent to film... hmm. "feel". you mean inflated egos by large numbers?
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Sam_w no need to get mad bro.
sam_w's avatar
sam_w 3 years ago
I am a mad kind of guy
The Xbox One is Heavy Modified is it not? Also I'm wit Tootell, we are just having a discussion so no need to take it personally
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
how many FPS can a lazy eye take tootell
Btw Youtube can only render 30FPS so don't use that as a defence
sam_w's avatar
sam_w 3 years ago
I apologise for the influx of exclamation marks and question marks. I got carried away and can assure you it won't happen again.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Bindiana you may find this intresting :P http://www.livescience.com/15884-video-games-improve-lazy-eye.html
Also it use to be believe the Human Eye could only see 30FPS and then it moved to 60FPS and then it moved to 72FPS. Don't underestimate the Human Eye
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
Evolution, Nox. Evolution ;-)
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
"the PlayStation 4 won't play MP3s and lacks DLNA media server functionality!" - Yes, at launch, same as the new Xbox it seems. Guess people gonna have to use them games consoles to play games for a while, huh? Also, am I seriously reading that there's no real difference between 720p and 1080p? and that 1080p native and 1080p upscaled are indistinguishable? Sweet Jesus what insanity am I reading here?
Never say this often but I'm with Kevin
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Ahhhh it could be the end of the world all we need now is Gloria to agree with Prometheus and its end of days. By my calculations 1080 is 360 better then 720.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Just tell yourself you're agreeing with common sense rather than me, Nox :)
I could have went the other way. You come it saying what I have been saying and then I do a complete U-turn and say there is no difference
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Oh no.
iMerle iDixon's avatar
iMerle iDixon 3 years ago
I'm no tech junky by any means, but wouldn't to difference be very slight unless you are on a biggish screen, I'm thinking less than 40 inch and you won't tell the difference. That said looks I chose well with the PS4, wheres that joker talking about launch titles now?
sam_w's avatar
sam_w 3 years ago
@ Bindiana that is only in one direction (height). 1280x720 = 921,600 pixels 1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Kevin I can't be bothered reading it back bit no where did anyone say there's NO difference the fact of the matter is that there's a lot of factors to take into consideration
Space did say that there is little difference between 720p-1080p and said that 720p unscaled is the same
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
never did i say there wasn't a difference. there is a difference. and for the majority its unnoticeable.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
@ sam_w but if you go 360 degrees you just end up where you started so I have just proved mathematically they are both the same. I may not be taking this debate seriously :P
sam_w's avatar
sam_w 3 years ago
I understand now ;)
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
My bad then this isn't my battle to fight then.
Take it seriously damn it
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Sorry Nox PS4 FTW xbone pwnd is that better?
No it's DREAMCAST 2 FTW
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Codzzz 4 da winz
Go home Tootell
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
If I go home I'll get sacked and I can't lose my classic burger flipping job.
Colin (News Writer)'s avatar
Colin (News Writer) 3 years ago
Goodness, I don't check this post for a while and everything explodes.
LEE 3 years ago
There is a huge difference between 720p and 1080p , anyone stating otherwise is in denial.
It depends on the mindset of the person viewing it ............ so yes it's denial (??_?)
Oh come on, that emote didn't work?
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
To the majority with TVs that can't display 1080p I'm sure it won't mean a whole lot, sure, but to those of us that actually do use 1080p screens for our gaming, it is absolutely a noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p, and no upscaler can make up that deficit. There's plenty of tech analysis sites that have been running comparions on Battlefield 4 on PS4/Xbone this week, and there is a notable difference in resolution there, as the sites have all pointed out, and that's only with the difference between 720p and 900p... the comparisons between the two versions of CoD Ghosts are going to show an even greater difference by all accounts. Xbone is simply less capable hardware than PS4, that's all there is to it. Don't know why this is so hard for some people to take in.
Mountains out of molehills ;)
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
480p FTW!
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Lets all revert back to 240p.
screaming chief's avatar
screaming chief 3 years ago
COD Ghosts on Xbox One has been "delayed" until 15th November, instead of alongside all the current gen and PS4 stock, that releases on 5th November, wonder what that could mean ?
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
well seeing as the XB1 doesnt release til the 22nd, i'd say it means sweet FA.
screaming chief's avatar
screaming chief 3 years ago
The PS4 console doesn't release until 29th in UK but COD Ghosts game is being released on 5th November, so it means SOMETHING, whatever the reason .........
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
It is a bit guff this. To be fair I was expecting this for the first few multi platform games for both the xbox one and the PS4 good to see the PS4 is 1080 for this however I will still be getting it for the xbox one.
beeje13's avatar
beeje13 3 years ago
1080p has 2.25X more pixels on screen than 720p. Upscalers stretch it and guess what colours might be where you have a spare pixel. The Xbox One version will still look great (at 60fps), especially compared to current gen. I'd imagine you'd see the difference if you ran them side by side on a 1080p monitor, in a compressed 30fps Youtube video on a laptop? I am more interested in what's so hard getting the Xbox One to do a 1080p60 image, even a 2D sidescroller like Killer Instinct can only get 720p. I wonder if it's the DDR3 RAM.
Ash 3 years ago
Even with Microsoft's supposed magical upscaler, the image is still being stretched out to fit 1080p it definitely has a noticeable difference. As for the MP3 and DLNA comment, Shuhei Yoshida is going to contact the development team and talk it over with them to possibly input that stuff in future update and from what I've seen Microsoft has not confirmed whether those features are even on the XBone, so don't be so quick to judge. Besides resolution and all that, just buy the console and games you prefer, whether they run at 720p or 1080p, if you enjoy them I doubt it really matters. There are exclusives on both XBone and PS4 that I can't wait to try,the resolution and power of the console isn't what worries me, I just hope they don't break down in the first few weeks.
Ash 3 years ago
@beeje13 I hear they're having trouble with the esram too, I'm sure they'll work around it but even Forza has apparently had a lot of features cut out to hit the 1080p/60fps mark, I hear. The games are still looking pretty amazing graphically though despite lower res on (most) games. Ryse although not particularly a game I'm interested in it's looking pretty outstanding from recent trailers and gameplay videos.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I think it is just going to take a while to get used to the different developing styles for each console where the 360 was apparently easier to develop for than the PS3 I think it will be the opposite way around and will just take a while for them to get used to it, its not as though the xbox one can't do 1080 as Forza 5 is running fine on it. You are right though better resolution does not make a better game. From when I played Dead Rising and Ryse at the GAME event they were both really great games and not once did I even stop to wonder what resolution it was running at.
Ash 3 years ago
@Zombieflamingo Yeah, you're telling me. Ryse has some beautiful textures, a little disappointed in the animation at times but overall a wonderful looking game, wouldn't mind picking it up some monthes down the line just for the visuals, currently getting the Xbox One with Dead Rising 3 first and maybe some games from the marketplace. I'm most certain Microsoft will deliver some amazing exclusives these coming years as Sony will for their platform. Still debating whether to buy Knack or not, just have Killzone on order at the moment.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Same here Knack looks interesting but I don't know if it would keep my attention for long. There were a couple of times on the Ryse demo where it stuttered a bit but I am hoping it was just down to the demo I was trying. Dead Rising on the other hand was perfect not a single jump or slow down while mowing down hundreds of zombies my only issue I had was I wanted to kneecap the zombie and shoot it in the head similar to Resident evil but it just sent the zombie flying.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Well that's good to hear about DR3 after all the bad press it got for having slow and unstable frame rate.
Ash 3 years ago
I suggest waiting for reviews before diving into Knack, unless you find it cheap somewhere. I know Amazon.de are doing a "buy 2 Ps4 titles, get 3rd free." deal, hoping AmazonUK jump on that deal over here, getting Knack free would be wonderful. Not sure about the stuttering, I don't think I saw much of that on my end but it did seem to have a robotic motion to it at times, which disturbed me a little. Dead Rising is just wildly fun but I definitely see what you mean about the kneecap shooting, that would have been a great addition considering how much I did that in Resident Evil. Can't wait to see what customisable other weapons they'll have!
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
I personally think Knack will be on PS+ for free not long after release, so id it was me I'd wait for that.
Coming from someone that hates platformers that doesn't mean much
I'll tell everyone why I don't like most Zombie games. Zombies are meant to be fear and avoided, not be target practice
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
If you mean me, I've never said I hate platformers. Also doesn't change that it will likely go on PS+ so anyone not 100% about it should wait for that.
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
That's why TWD and State of Decay are good zombie games.
That is why I said most
Fine you don't like anything Cel-shaded or "Cartoony"
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Well I like TWD, Borderlands, Crackdown and The Darkness 2, so that's not exactly true.
Wow, you liked Crackdown? I thought it was really average
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
How is that a surprise? I've said multiple times on related posts on here that I loved the Crackdown games, looking forward to the new one.
You say that like I pay attention to your posts
Haha, I jest .......... kinda
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
Do you not jot these things down in your forum members observation notepad?
I'll give you that one :)
Whitey's avatar
Whitey 3 years ago
I'd expect you have a big "To Kill" list.