Sony releases FAQ on everything Playstation 4

Last night, Sony released a massive and extensive FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page on their US Playstation Blog. It answers over 160 different questions relating to the release of the Playstation 4 next month.

You can read the full FAQ here - Playstation 4 FAQ

Here's a few questions:

When does PS4 come out in different countries and regions?

North America: November 15th, 2013 (Canada and the United States)
Europe: November 29th, 2013. (Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia , Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom)
Latin America: November 29th, 2013 (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Peru)
Japan: February 22nd, 2014
Asia regions: The middle of December 2013
Other regions: TBA

What comes in the PS4 box at launch?

You’ll get a PS4 system with a 500GB hard drive, a DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller, a micro-USB cable for charging the DUALSHOCK 4 controller, a Mono-headset for voice chat, a power cable (1.5m), and an HDMI cable (2.0m).

What input/output ports and connectivity features does PS4 support?

HDMI OUT, DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL AUDIO), Ethernet, two USB 3.0 ports, and an auxiliary connector reserved for PlayStation Camera. PS4 also features integrated 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi for wireless internet connectivity and Bluetooth 2.1 for DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller connectivity.

Does PS4 require an external “power brick”?

PS4 is designed with an internal power supply, so it does not have an external “power brick.”

Will users be able to replace PS4’s stock 500GB hard drive? What hard drive sizes are supported?

PS4 owners will be able to replace PS4’s standard hard drive. PS4’s hard drive is used to store downloaded game and video content, game save files, gameplay movies and images, and more.

What type of hard drive does PS4 use?

PS4 is equipped with a 5400 RPM SATA II hard drive. Users can choose to install a new hard drive so long as it complies with these standards, is no thicker than 9.5mm, and is larger than 160GB.

Will users be able to connect an external hard drive to expand storage on PS4?

No, this feature is not supported on PS4.

Edited On 31 Oct, 2013

Comments
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I find the bit about you not being able to play Audio CD's or MP3's abit sad and also the fact the only way you can listen to music whilst playing a game through the ps4 is with a music unlimited subscription, they've basically got you by the balls there. good job i'll still be able to plug my iPad into my mix amp and use spotify that way.
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
no music through the console is a joke. i do like the idea of being able to stream all audio through the headset though. nifty.
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
Cheers for this, very insightful. A few disappointing tidbits but a few things I wasn't aware of either. I do hope they release an update that eventually allows you to play MP3s. I may also look into getting a larger harddrive in the not too distant future
NICOLA 3 years ago
looks like you need to reduce the cost of the PS4 camera then as you are selling it over the RRP of £45
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Few too many "no"s in that FAQ for my liking. No suspend function day one is especially disappointing.
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
I was under the impression the RRP of the camera was £54.99. It's cheaper in the US based on the exchange rate but that's not a fair comparison
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 3 years ago
Maybe Audio CDs will be imported onto PS4 just like it works on PS3.
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
I think they're pushing to get people signed up to their music service. As emphasised by the fact the PS4 won't even play audio cds at launch :/
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
I think I read the lack of audio CD support was a cost cutting measure to avoid licensing fees or somesuch. Saves them pittance it seems, but apparently that's enough it seems. Lack of MP3 support is MUCH less understandable... I just can't believe they'd omit such a basic feature purely to promote their music service. They have to know how that would backfire on them big time. My theory/hope is that they've been putting all their energies into getting the game/app functions of the OS in working order for launch and seperate media functions are a much lower priority right now. I'm basing that off the fact the console doesn't even play Blu-Ray/DVD movies without downloading the launch day firmware update first. Shu Yoshida's been getting a lot of shit on Twitter over the media stuff and he's been discussing it with their engineers he claims, so hopefully this won't be an issue long.
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 3 years ago
Their music service is not available in all regions, Kaisar...
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
hymeleon but that is obviously the approach they're trying to take.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
So there is no option from music at all? That sucks. I also though that they supported external hard drives, will have to see about getting a bigger one as if Killzone has a 49GB min install then it could fill up pretty quick. I would still prefer to use an external one like the xbox one is going to be doing though.
Why would you listen to music on your Playstation?
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Probably to listen to music that why:)
I just don't get why? Unless you have a surround setup for your Tv/Monitor then you would be better using external devices. Btw Zombie do you want a Steam code for Race 07 +DLC & a Steam code for Black Soul?
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
To be honest I would never use it for music, I have a few friends that do though but I suppose you could always just youtube the music. Black Soul looks of so if you are offering I won't turn it down not really all that into racing games so will pass on that one.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
i like to listen to music through my astros whilst playing fifa.
Cool I'll send you them in a while. I sent a msg to Johno about Race 07 so I'll give you it if he hasn't got back to me
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Cheers.
Fair enough Tootell but can't you just plug in your Phone or MP3 Device to the Receiver? I can do that with my PX5's
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Yeah thats what i do i plug my iPad into my astro mix amp and listen to it that way but it's abit unfortunate for the people who don't have the privilege of a compatable device
Most people have a device that can play MP3's like a Laptop,Tablet or a Phone so they can just use that. I don't see the big fuss. Now if they said it wouldn't be able to play Blu-rays then that would be different
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
but if they was listening through an MP3 p;ayer for example they wouldn't be able to hear andy townsends pathetic excuse of commentary were as i get the privilege of that whilst i can listen to music. think of andy townsend.
That is a joke is it not?