Call of Duty: Ghosts generates $1 billion on first day on sale

Activision has announced that the company sold more than $1 billion of Call of Duty: Ghosts into retail stores worldwide as of day one.

"Call of Duty is by far the largest console franchise of this generation," said Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard. "More people have played Call of Duty this year than ever before, logging four billion hours of gameplay. And in the last 12 months, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, including its digital content, generated more revenues than any other console game ever has in a single year. Although it is too early to assess sell-through for Call of Duty: Ghosts, it's launching at a time when the franchise has never been more popular."

Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing describes the game as Activision's best multiplayer title yet, despite some reviewers disagreeing in that respect.

"This is the must have launch title for the next generation of consoles, and we expect Call of Duty: Ghosts to be the most successful launch title for the Xbox One and PS4 by a wide margin. In fact, according to certain retailers, Call of Duty: Ghosts is their most pre-reserved next gen title."

Have you pre-ordered Call of Duty: Ghosts for your next generation console? Do you expect it to be number one come Xmas?

Edited On 06 Nov, 2013

Comments
Jeimuzu88's avatar
Jeimuzu88 3 years ago
Well! There goes GTA:V's record.
Steersy's avatar
Steersy 3 years ago
I have a passionate hatred of Call of Duty, for me it is everything that is wrong with online gaming. I have a life and cannot learn every spawn point of every map and use that to Prestige for the 9th time. I also don't like things I am not good at (like COD).
I don't see why people still buy COD year in year out. A lot of people should be learning to buy COD every two years since the games Treyarch are a hell of a lot better
HappyNoodleBoy's avatar
HappyNoodleBoy 3 years ago
Why? Seriously, why? This franchise is stagnant as hell now. And on next gen, even with a new engine, it looks dated as hell. I've bought CoD every year but I will be missing this one by a mile. At least the next gen versions of Battlefield 4 offer what PC players have experienced for a while now. Ghosts is just brighter. I hope Titanfall comes in and smashes everything in the coming years
Martyn 3 years ago
"There goes GTA's record" Nope. Check the report. "Over 1billion worth of copies have been sold INTO STORES" This is just stores buying them to make sure that they have enough, it's not actual value of sales. The record will be broken by this game, no doubt, because it is on more platforms and a release title for two new platforms that have limited titles on release. However, this 'billion' that they have sold is just released stock, and not the same as GTA5 which sold and generated the billion through actual sales.
In other news, people are stupid and buy any old crap.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
In other news, Gloria did your appointment go ok today?
Yep, not bad Tootell, wan't as bad as I feared, still got to do six months of physiotherapy though.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
You'll be all well and good in no time :)
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 3 years ago
I will wait for it to drop in price,but I too am a little fed up of the COD cash cow. Black Ops 2 is great... I hope they don't let it slide into nothing now :(