PS4 Firmware 1.51 arrives

The PlayStation Blog has announced that PS4 Firmware version 1.51 has been released.

In general it's just a minor update to address system stability, however one noticeable change is that it will now show when you’re downloading a game and patch at the same time.

The PS4 arrived last Friday in North America and sold 1 million consoles in a day. The UK and most of Europe gets the console next Friday, November 29.

Edited On 20 Nov, 2013

Comments
warden976's avatar
warden976 3 years ago
is there a download page for the UK yet?
robioto's avatar
robioto 3 years ago
It is nice that the US beta tested the console for us. :)
agentsmith007's avatar
agentsmith007 3 years ago
I have a question hopefully someone can answered. I plan on changing my ps4 hard drive before I even switched it on, reading on other forums that others doing this are downloading the update via there PC and then updating there ps4. Is it not just a case of fit new hard drive, switch on let ps4 format hard drive and then download updates via the ps4 directly.? Don't want to mess up my shiny new PS4 on the 29th Thanks in advance. .
daveww's avatar
daveww 3 years ago
@agentsmith I think you need something in the update to put the new hard drive in. I might be wrong ;)
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
I downloaded the file as a backup if there was any problem. It is a 850Mb file (I think the day 1 patch is 300ish) that needs to be installed from a USB drive to the PS whilst in safe mode (turn on PS by holding the power button for 7 seconds)
agentsmith007's avatar
agentsmith007 3 years ago
Do you have to download onto usb and then onto ps4 or would the ps4 not tell you when you first connect to Internet that a update is required as the ps3 does niw? And thanks for the help.
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
I think the PS4 will auto load the required patches. Changing the HDD though would need a full installation hence the larger file size. What I read though definitely said install from a USB to formatted (FAT32 I think) HDD. This is where I found all the info http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps4/pc_update/index.htm I only looked because I will probably change my HDD to a 1TB Hybrid drive.
agentsmith007's avatar
agentsmith007 3 years ago
What happens if I switch it on with supplied hdd do installs and then replace hard drive would i have to re download the updates? And is the fitted hdd already formated to the ps4?
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
Again this is only an educated guess, but the installed HDD is all ready to go out of the box, just need updates 1.50 & 1.51. If you installed e.g. Killzone, save game to the cloud (via PS+) and then changed your HDD for a 1TB, the new HDD would need to be formatted for use and all the updates re-downloaded prior to normal use. You could then re-install Killzone and your save would still be safely in the cloud to carry on playing. If you have a look at the link above it should tell you everything you need to know. I hope this helps
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 3 years ago
@agentsmith007 what I would do is plug the PS4 in when you get it just to test it works. Don't download anything just test it . Swap out the HDD and update the firmware from usb (both IGN and Gamespot have idiot proof videos on this). Then when the updates have been applied and the HDD correctly formatted it will be exactly as it was out of the box but all up to date. Have installed a hybrid 1TB into an import PS4 and its honestly an absolute piece of piss. Would just recommend turning it on first for trouble shooting purposes if it all goes wrong.
agentsmith007's avatar
agentsmith007 3 years ago
Just spoken to Sony ps4 helpline apparently if I put new hdd before start up then the console will format hdd and then when i connect to Internet and once completed initial info it will tell me to do updates just like ps3 does now The factory fitted hdd will format when you first start up.
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 3 years ago
The factory fitted one is already formatted mate. It also might not let you connect to the internet as it might boot in safe mode.
agentsmith007's avatar
agentsmith007 3 years ago
datastatic. I will follow your instructions i think just to be safe i will boot up follow instructions and then install updates- get it in working order and then replace hdd. I did the same on my ps3 I just didn't want to screw up my ps4 . I've seen the videos of replacing hdd just wasn't sure if to replace before or after really. Thanks everyone for your advice. Roll on the 29th. .
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
@Datastatic you installed a 1TB Hybrid drive, is it there a noticeable difference in performance over a standard HDD?
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 3 years ago
I don't have anything to benchmark it against to be honest. It seemed to work fine and worked more quickly than the PS3 but that might just be the PS4. There are some benchmarks out there and general opinion seems to be its a bit quicker on some things but not life chantingly so. I basically got a good deal on a couple where I was paying the same as a standard so I thought why not.
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
Gamespot show Resogun load around 20 secs on HDD and 10 secs on SSD, so I imagine SSHD would be somewhere in between 12-15 secs
agentsmith007's avatar
agentsmith007 3 years ago
@Datastatic Sorry for asking a silly question but do i have to install firmware 1.50 before 1.51, or just go straight for 1.51 from usb after hdd change?
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 3 years ago
Hopefully their will be firmware link soon, so I can have a 1.51 on a Flash drive as backup