PSN issues force password reset

Sony has issued a mass mandatory password reset on the European PlayStation Network, despite there being no security compromise.

European PSN users reported numerous sign in issues late last nighttime and were told that the issue was due to irregular activity.

"We monitor PSN account for any irregular activity. If such activity is detected we will sometimes reset passwords," a support team member said.  "This was done purely as precautionary measure and there was no specific evidence that any accounts had been compromised."

The Sony employed later added that "there is nothing specific to worry about” and said "only a small number of users" had been affected.

I had to reset my password as I was unable to access PSN, so if you are having the same issue it's worth checking.

Edited On 21 Nov, 2013

Comments
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
Just logged in via my PC and there's no issue. May try again on the PS3 when I get home.
ABates85's avatar
ABates85 3 years ago
Either Coincidence or not.... someone accessed my account on Saturday and started spending my money I reported this to Sony on Monday and they said this had to go to the PSN team for investigation and I would hear back from them on Thursday (Today). I don't believe they can say no accounts have been compromised since mine was only a few days ago.
ScottTaylor1987's avatar
ScottTaylor1987 3 years ago
Had mine done too they spent over £100 and sony said it was my fault and banned my account
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
@ ABates85 ... Same has happened with my son. He noticed yesterday morning ( He hadn't been on his PS3 since last weekend ) that money/credit has gone from his account, phoned Sony yesterday, they said 3 items had been purchased since Tuesday, 5:13am Tuesday morning, 6:42am and 3:12pm Tuesday afternoon, not by him they haven't as he was away in Norway, flew back yesterday morning so something is very wrong here. He is due a phone call back tomorrow! I bet we get the typical Sony mish mash response to this.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Golden rule don't keep your card details on record.
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
@ Joe ... Totally agree there. I never add my bank/credit card details to XBL or PSN. Just wish my son would of took my advice the pillock. Oh well, what's done is done but it will be interesting to see what Sony's response to all this is. Their original article said "Only a few affected" Didn't they say that not long before PSN was compromised and it had to be taken down a few years back? I hope I'm wrong but this is being reported on a few sites now so I personally have a horrible feeling about this.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I wasn't effected.
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
neither was I
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
I've had no problem either, at least via browser. Will check PS3 later
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
I told my brother inlaw and 2 friends about this, they have checked their PSN accounts and no issues for them. Hopefully my son will get it sorted when Sony phone back and find out exactly what has happened.
PETE 3 years ago
It happenend to me last night. Had to reset.
ABates85's avatar
ABates85 3 years ago
Personally I would expect a confirmation email from Sony if someone logs into my account from a new source... such as console / device. even Facebook manages to do that.
Matthew 3 years ago
I turned my console on last night and it didn't sign me automatically in when I put my password in it came up that it was the wrong password so I reset it does this mean I should contact sony to check if my account has been compromised. I checked my bank just now and nothing has come out yet but I usually get an email if I have purchased anything from store.
Ulquiorra_1's avatar
Ulquiorra_1 3 years ago
My password isn't working as well. And I can't remember my initial log-in details
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 3 years ago
Had my Password reset, but oh well better than losing money :P
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 3 years ago
Same here, had to change password yesterday...
ABates85's avatar
ABates85 3 years ago
Sony rang me back... admitted that my account was accessed fraudulently. However they won’t do anything further with the matter. The console that accessed my account has been banned (They Say). If I want my money back. I have to go to my bank and start a fraud investigation. This will result in my account being banned. (Have 15 months of PS+ membership pre-paid + other purchased games that I won’t have access to any longer). When asked if I can get this official response in writing they said I would have to write to the head office to make the request and I may get a response. When asked if I can get a copy of the recording was flat out refused and when asked for a transcription was told in order to get that I would need to go to a data protection officer. When I spoke to the guy on the phone about the mandatory password reset, he said that they happen on a regular basis for security reasons. The only time this ever happened in the 3 years I've owned the console is when the credit card data was stolen a while back. When I said this to the guy he said that he doesn't know that ever happened. He also said that I should have had my settings to require a password on checkout to prevent this. Even though they have already logged into my account and thus know my password. After saying this he realised how dumb a response this was.