PS4 Firmware v1.51 to be released ahead of console launch

Sony has announced that it’ll allow PlayStation 4 soon-to-be owners to pre-download the latest firmware, v.151, ahead of launch day.

The firmware will be available to download from UK and European sites on Thursday, allowing users to put it on a USB drive and get hold of the latest features by upgrading the system manually, rather than trying to connect to the servers on launch day.

Update 1.51 includes all the features introduced in v1.50 plus a few additions to help with Blu-ray playback and online features.

The PlayStation 4 launches in Europe and UK this Friday.

Edited On 26 Nov, 2013

Comments
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
Speaking of downloads, any word on when the PlayStation app for Android will be available in the UK?
Mike9586's avatar
Mike9586 3 years ago
Is this not the same firmware as already available on the US site? I've already downloaded it as I'm upgrading my PS4's HDD straight away
kilz0r's avatar
kilz0r 3 years ago
It is the same one Mike, so you'll be good to go come Friday. Here's a question though, would it be better to go through the initial set up (syncing controller, set time & date, etc) without connecting to the internet before manually updating to 1.51?
Philip 3 years ago
The Playstation App for Android is already available in the UK. It doesn't flag as an update though, if it doesn't work on your phone then open this link on a computer and click install (it will send it to your phone then): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.scee.psxandroid
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
Cheers, Philip. It must have only just become available as I checked this morning (as I have everyday since Friday) and it wouldn't let me install on my device. Does now
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 3 years ago
There is no point going through initial set up and then taking out the hard drive as most of the stuff you just did will be lost. I would (as I have said before) plug it in and check it works (just in case anything goes wrong later) and then change out the hard drive. If you don't you will be doing the same thing twice. 1.51 has been up since Sat and its not the same as the one on the US site. You need the European version to avoid any problems.
PAUL 3 years ago
Surely it is the same, ps4 is region free and the os will be the same, so why would it be any different? probably still best to download from euro site just in-case. As for the ps app it has been available for android for a few days or so now, had it on my phone since Friday I think.
xsilentxsniperx's avatar
xsilentxsniperx 3 years ago
Just saw your post Mike, I'd be carful doing this, always update over the internet on the console where possible. I have an Asian PS3 and the firmware I get is different to UK consoles. I wouldn't risk it...
xsilentxsniperx's avatar
xsilentxsniperx 3 years ago
And although games are region free, blurays are not, and the firmwares are different...
Datastatic's avatar
Datastatic 3 years ago
@Paul the file size is different for 1.51, not much different but different. Have no idea why but assume it is a language issue as thats usually the case. I think if you install the US version when its perfectly easy to install the EU version you are just asking for problems.
Artemisthemp's avatar