ShopTo.net

'Free-To-Play' Star Wars: Attack Squadrons announced by Disney; Beta starts next year

I'm always harping on about how Lucas Arts should bring back classic PC space shooter Xwing, however Disney now owns Lucas Arts and EA has signed a deal to produce Star Wars games.

While this is all very complicated, it seems there is even more to this EA/Disney deal as today the latter has announced that it'll be releasing its own Star Wars game in the shape of Attack Squadron, a Free-To-Play Space Combat style game which features team-based and base defence type modes, as well as various unlockable rewards.

A beta test is planned for 2014 and interested parties can sign up now via the game's website.

There is a video below and it has X-Wing's in it, so I'm sort of happy, though would still like to see X-Wing brought back, especially since next year is turning out to be the year of the Space Shooter.

What do you think? Does Attack Squadron look good to you?

Edited On 17 Dec, 2013

Comments
This has the possibility of being massive , large scale online space battles , sign me up , just hope Disney does not ruin it all , but trailer looks good and free to play , good start
jay.hamilton 1 year ago
Didn't Lucasarts recently state they were gonna revive the X-Wing series on the Wii U until things fell through. Maybe this is linked with that?
Robichoico 1 year ago
Only squadron I want to see is Rogue ;)
Gloria 1 year ago
i loved rogue squadron, thats why this interests me as looks like rogue squadron but online and just renamed attack squadrons
jay.hamilton 1 year ago
Superficially it does sound similar, but Rogue Squadron was always about single player, and re-enacting battles/missions from the films, so in that respect they're quite different. This sounds more like Battlefront really, but purely vehicle based, and that sounds OK, but we are already getting a new Battlefront, and to be honest I'm not that excited about it, with EA in charge you just know it'll just be a reskinned Battlefield. If only there was some way Nintendo could get the permission to rerelease Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 in HD I would kill for that.
Gloria 1 year ago
This definitely has my interest, although I do have my reservations - 1. Being EA. 2. Being a Star Wars game (with the exception of Rogue Squadron, which I loved). Still, signed up for beta
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 1 year ago
Think I'm going to dig my Gamecube out and pick up RS 2 & 3 cheap on Ebay.
Gloria 1 year ago