ShopTo.net

Wednesday Chat, January 15

There is still a real lack of gaming news around to talk about at the moment. We know next gen consoles are selling well, and we know Nintendo Wii U is not performing as well as it probably should.

We also know that there are a lot of great games coming out this year, however we still have quite a while to wait. Isn't it lucky that we still have games left over from last year to play.

Given that there is a long wait for games after Xmas, it got us wondering if a publisher released a big game in January if it would sell perhaps better than if it was released later in the year. After all, there is no competition and people are desperate for a new game for their next generation console. So in this respect, have publishers such as Bethedsa (Thief) and/or  Ubisoft (Watch_Dogs) missed a trick?

What do you think? Let's Chat!

Edited On 15 Jan, 2014

Comments
i think they have missed a trick yes but it's not because people don't have anything to play it's because people are getting withdrawal symptoms from not buying any games. If there is a month where there is no games coming out you could release any old pile of turd and it'll sell well just because people (me included) enjoy the novelty of a new game.
JoeToots 11 months ago
Turds sell better just before Christmas though ;)
Gloria 11 months ago
Before christmas though it's turds in numbers so surely a lone turd will do much better?
JoeToots 11 months ago
Maybe, but it's hard holding in a turd for a month when you've got the runs.
Gloria 11 months ago
a solo turd is alot easier to flush though than a group of turds.
JoeToots 11 months ago
More about size than quantity really when it comes to flushing.
Gloria 11 months ago
I'll take your word for it Gloria sounds like you're an expert.
JoeToots 11 months ago
It's a dirty job, but someones got to do it.
Gloria 11 months ago
I think Watch dogs would of been good to release now as the longer they delay it the more bigger titles it is going to be competing with. On a separate note Gamestop are doing my head in ordered something on the 3rd, they let me know it was out of stock on the 6th but still havent refunded me even after emailing them last Friday and being told it would be done that day.
Bindiana 11 months ago
Typical Gamestop.
JoeToots 11 months ago
Roll on 5 so then i'll be en route to the etihad to watch blackburn dump city out of the FA cup.
JoeToots 11 months ago
Dont think I will bother using them again. Hopefully you can knock them out Joe make it easier for Liverpool to win the cup.
Bindiana 11 months ago
I think that Ubisoft messed up with Watch_Dogs. I mean they were advertising it like crazy with gameplay videos, developer diaries, trailers and what not. And then they delayed the game. In the period after the delay, there hasn't been any new trailers, or features. We will just have to wait and see, but I think that they missed the target. I have no doubts that the game will be a huge success, but I think that it would have been better if they started aggressive marketing right about now. After all, as Joe stated in the article, this is a slow period, not just with releases, but with trailers as well.
ZdravkoN 11 months ago
I have lost a great deal of interest in Watch_Dogs purely for the reasons already stated. Ubi have done nothing to keep people engaged with the game. We still don't know when it is actually coming out, so it could be up against bigger names. How many times has the XB1 ad been on showing Titanfall? I don't mind having a quiet period as I have other things to play, but publishers do need to keep people interested if they want the preorder sales
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 11 months ago
There is not much point in pushing big titles in January. AAA games will usually sell to their core gamer market regardless of release date, but with any big release they also have to sell to the more casual markets, the ones which are more likely to have burnt through their budgets over christmas/holiday sales and are probably still playing though the many possible games they could have picked up in the holidays and are not yet paying any attention to the release schedule.
ASC 11 months ago
I disagree with not having big titles in January. Too many want to cash in on the holiday period, so (for me) choose from the bunch, whereas Tomb Raider was a Jan release and sold by the bucket load. Imo that was a smart move
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 11 months ago
Last January Ni No Kuni came out which probably took advantage of not a lot being released.
Bindiana 11 months ago
Tomb raider was in march. Actually we get quite a few Japanese made titles early in the year - mainly they come out in Japan before holidays, don't make it here in time, then usually skip jan to avoid the low sales period before coming out. Also Ni No Kuni is pretty niche, very stylised. it sold fairly well, and with good reason, but no-one tried to push it for most the 'mainstream' market so release date not so significant
ASC 11 months ago
My mistake thought it was Jan. Good example of how to keep a game in peoples minds between now and release is Destiny (on FB) constantly showing new screens, a few gameplays, interviews, etc
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 11 months ago