Thursday Chat: January 16, 2014

Sales. Do they screw loyal customers over who have bought a game at full price or are they a way of getting people to buy a game they may not otherwise try? It's an interesting subject and one which we will discuss on the podcast this week, but we want to know what you think.

Does a sale entice your to buy a game? Do you get angry when you think, "hey I bought that for full price a few months ago." Do you think sales really help a developer, after all they'd need a lot of sales to make up for the fact that their profit margin is likely to be heavily reduced?

Let us know your thoughts.

Let's Chat!

Edited On 16 Jan, 2014

Comments
ZdravkoN's avatar
ZdravkoN 3 years ago
That are only a few games that I have bought at launch. Most of the time I am waiting for a sale to get the games I like. I do this for a couple of reasons. First reason: I don't have a lot of spare time, so if I get a game on launch, I may not have time to play it. Most probably I will play it after a few weeks or months. During that time, there might be a sale. So, it pays off to wait. However, if I consider a game a must-play, and I know that I will play it at launch - I buy it at launch. I have never regretted buying a game at higher price. I don't feel robbed if the price falls in a few weeks or months. After all I am buying the new game at launch, at higher price, because I want to play it. And I want to support the developers. And retailers (online or local stores; online are usually cheaper :) )
I think games going on sale a few months after release would be fair enough, it's usually more like a few weeks these days for most games though. I would be pissed off if I bought a mediocre game at £50+, as a lot of 'next gen' games are these days, and it was half price a couple of weeks later. I don't really buy mediocre games though, not at launch anyway, and am happy to wait for a sale for anything I don't consider a must have. Some people seem addicted to buying games on release though and will buy just about everything on release, I was the same when I was young but games were less than a tenner a pop back then, these days you have to have more money than sense to have that kind of habit.
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
Over the last couple of years I have bought several games on day 1 that I really wanted (even bought a used PS3 because of TLOU). I do feel a little peeved if the game turns out to be absolute s*** (looking at you A:CM), but I never feel gutted about a sale. It's the same with anything, it is a chance you take
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 3 years ago
I remember think... about Sleeping Dogs, when I brought it ad December sales and then it became free for PS+ in February.
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
Sales are great especially the ones shopto do witch are really always bargins. But myself only buy my games on release day, if I want to support the developer of game I really really like or day one collector editions like from tales of games & nisa etc etc.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Sales can be annoying if you buy at the wrong time there have been a few occassions where purchased a game and then the next day/week it has been reduced. The games I buy in sales are usually ones I wouldnt mind trying, so if there is a good deal on it then I buy it.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
i never really buy in sales if i want a game i buy it regardless of the price.
Steersy's avatar
Steersy 3 years ago
I buy games when I want them, could be day one or could be because I am tempted by a special offer or sale. If a game is reduced a week after I have bought it all full price I tend to have a "shit happens" attitude to it, but I am lucky to have a reasonable amount of disposable income. Gloria's comment about the £9.99 games kicked off a memory. Anyone else old enough to remember the Mastertronix £1.99 range of games? Finally, Joe, what about this promised website update? This one needs some TLC, it still crashes and is slow as on a regular basis. Any news?
Mastertronic games were great, at those prices you couldn't go wrong, and there were a few gems, Chiller and I-ball were a couple I have fond memories of.
Samka's avatar
Samka 3 years ago
I rarely buy games at launch unless I *really* want them (eg TLOU) and I have such a massive backlog of games that and it makes sense to wait for a sale on a game I'm interested in but not that bothered about playing. Of course as soon as I see a game at a good price I feel I have to have it as I can't resist a bargain... adding to my ever growing backlog of games to play haha.
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
On a slightly different note, I have preordered Evolve, even though they haven't shown a trailer or gameplay. I have a good feeling about the concept. Again if I do get it day 1, I could get burnt
I have the same mindset as Akemi
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
Talking about sales, I just got Ni No Kuni for £5.93 in the January Sale in PS Store... boom :)
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
The way sales have gone lately puts you off buying them on release as they drop so quick these days and stay down. A couple of games on here ended up dropping in price so I snapped them up, but then dropped again before I received them after a day or two, which is naughty. If a game is a must buy it is a must buy. Buying in sales means can buy more games, so the retailer ends up getting the same amount of money. If there is not many games to get, then my savings will build up and probably then get another console I have not got, and then its games I have not got. I think Steam have the right way of doing sales - keep games virtually full RRP all the time, but then do daily sales or massive seasonal sales with discounts on virtually everything from 25% to 90% off. Saints Row IV is now £30 but after the Christmas sales it was £40, and the lowest it got was £15.99 but not only is the main game reduced at that price so is the DLC. The console version costs about £17. The console versions should not really be less than the PC version. Saints Row IV on console should be selling for £30 to £40 now, and drop during promotions.
Saints Row IV on console is £30-£40 if you buy it digitally. http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/Search?q=saints%20row%20IV#Games
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
That is right but seliing disc based games is not. Why buy digital when you can get disc for about half the price, and then able to resell? With discs even if you buy a game at £40 / £50 / £60 you still have the option to resell and get another game, but if is £17 you will be lucky to get £10 for it, so buying at full price then reselling is not so good. If they kept their prices high longer like digital sales then there is more chance of buying game at release and still getting a good price on a resell.
Here is the price history for Saints Row 4 on PC http://www.steamgamesales.com/5QxyW/saints-row-iv
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Gloria listen to Anthony he talks sense.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
Saints Row IV was only an example, but it applies to all games. Metro Last Light costs £15 on Xbox 360 here, and £25 on Steam. The point is not Saints Row IV, but the fact that retail discs drop in price so quick, and they usually stay dropped in price. I would more likely buy a game for £60 at launch, if it stayed that price for a long while, and then could resell it if I want, but as prices drop permanenly so fast these days then it makes it not worth it, and so the best thing to do is wait until it hits the sales, and then buy.
You were talking about Steam, last I checked that only sold digital games so you can only really compare it with other digital sellers. The sale of physical media is not as regulated and is therefore impossible to fix prices on.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Gloria listen to anthony he is right you're wrong.
How is he right, he's comparing apples with oranges.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Because he is always right and i prefer apples.
I think at the base he is saying that Digital sales on console should be more closer to its PC counterpart but as long as there is a monopoly in place then that will never happen
Digital sales on console aren't that different from Steam in that they stay full price most the time and have occasional sales, like he describes Steam. He's moaning about the speed physical games lose their value and wants physical games to stay full price and sales to be less frequent it appears, which just seems stupid to me.
He wants the best of both worlds
beeje13's avatar
beeje13 3 years ago
How about a discount for pre-orders (like steam sometimes does), then go up to full price after that, that way the loyal supporters of the game get the best deal.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
The way sales are being handled now are stupid as it is making high street stores go out of business and increasing unemployment, because they can not keep up with constant low prices that online retailers can do. I think publishers should be able to control the base RRP of each game and retailers have to sell it at that price unless it is in temporary short term sales. Steam games are overly expensive except in the periodic sales where they virtually beat everything in price. Disc based games / online sales they gradually drop in price over time, and usually stay down, and within a matter of month or two. So does not take long to get a bargain, so makes buying a game on day one not worth it. What I am saying is that retail disc based sales should do what Steam sales do. It would suit everyone, and online retailers, street store retailers (as would not need to compete so much), resellers (those who buy game and then want to sell for next game) would benefit too. There is no stability / consistency to the prices whatsoever. Instead of ShopTo / Zavvi / Amazon constanty lowering their prices day by day, they should do sales with 75% off for one day only and then put price back up, and games like Saints Row IV on disc still cost at least £30 instead of £16.85 as the sales are now over, but could be cheap again in on a Cyber Sunday or something. I notice that Cyber Sunday does not give cheap games for Sunday only but highlights cheap games constantly. The same for Manic Monday with Zavvi they used to have cheap games appear on the Monday and put price back up, now they mostly stay the low price always. Sales would not be less frequent but more frequent. Saints Row IV is not on sale much now as it is constantly low and £16.85 is now the norm. Anyway here is a bargain ;) http://tech.uk.msn.com/features/best-luxury-gold-gadgets#image=2 24 carat gold Xbox ONE :)
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
Funnily, Saints Row IV is on sale again on Steam now, until Monday 6pm for £14.99, and totally free until Sunday 1pm PST (9pm GMT)