Dualshock 4 light not being switched off in future update

Sony has said that it will not release a firmware update to disable the light bar for games which do not use this feature on the DualShock 4.

The news comes from Sony WorldWide boss Shuhei Yoshida, who was responding to a query on the matter from a PS4 user via Twitter. When asked, Yoshida said "no" when asked if the LEDs will be turned off to help save the user battery.

Yoshida then went on to say that "the LEDs do not use much battery."

To be honest this doesn't really seem much of a big deal to us, but others seem to care.

Edited On 16 Jan, 2014

Comments
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
I agree the battery life is rubbish. Thankfully I am lucky enough to have 2 controllers. Personally, I really like the light bar and seeing what developers can come up with. I would've liked NFS: Rivals Cop to flash red/blue when sirens switched on, that would've been cool. I don't get the reflect off the tv problem others have complained about.
ShoryukenToTheChin's avatar
ShoryukenToTheChin 3 years ago
How about they address the awful Analogue Sticks, mine is wearing out like its been used for years yet its only been weeks... but Shopto wont take it in unless you send the whole Console etc. back to them.
Michael 3 years ago
Forget that! They need to sort out the biggest issue the L1+R1 constantly getting stuck had to return 2 controllers and i only the PS4 for a week these buttons are constantly used in games like Fifa returned my PS4 in the end such a sad day.
ShoryukenToTheChin's avatar
ShoryukenToTheChin 3 years ago
Whats annoying me is that Amazon replace the controllers, but it seems Shopto require us to send the whole Console etc. back to them even though my Console is not the product at fault here. Ive also heard that with Sony it can take weeks to get a new controller.
MCD650's avatar
MCD650 3 years ago
I have contacted them and they will replace the controller without taking back the full console, with no issue. Contact them and they will replace it for you.
ShoryukenToTheChin's avatar
ShoryukenToTheChin 3 years ago
@MCD650 If they do that then I will be over the moon, I just raised a ticket on Shopto so hope for the best.
lukas83's avatar
lukas83 3 years ago
I agree, anyone with at least a small amount of electronics knowledge knows that these are just LED's that require the minutest amount of power. I also have problems with my left thumb stick peeling off & L1 button sticking & ShopTo have request I send back just the controller & they will swap it.
JUBAL 3 years ago
The ps4 controllers are a mess. I've returned one already (direct to Sony) and about to return another this weekend. Both have had rubber wear down to the plastic on the left analogue stick. I've also had the L1 sticking button problem. Sony exchanged for me no problem, but I know it will happen again on the new controllers. Sony need to go back to DS3 analogue material instead of this rubber rubbish! Apart from that I'm loving my PS4!
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I've got the best solution for people whos analog stick is wearing down http://www.shopto.net/video-games/ps4/PS4AC15-ps4-analogue-thumb-grips
JUBAL 3 years ago
“ Further to add, Sony returned a new controller to me within 10 days. ” Call them on 0844 736 0595 to book it in with them first.
ShoryukenToTheChin's avatar
ShoryukenToTheChin 3 years ago
Mine is not that badly wore but I can defo see it beginning to happen. I did get the Orb Thumb Grips to protect them, but I have a mate that his play style causes them to pop off. I got the Killzone Mega Bundle, so that would be 2 Pads... take it I would just send the pads in.
JUBAL 3 years ago
Yes, just send pads into Sony. Call them first though to get a reference number. I did mine one at a time so at least I could still play on my ps4. You'll only lose out paying on P&P, which was about 3.50 second class recorded for me.
JUBAL 3 years ago
I bought those orb pads and for me they are no good. Popped off while playing Fifa for me. Some people though say it works. Must be my play style !
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 3 years ago
If your having problems with your play station 4 thumb sticks breaking/wearing down really quickly maybe you should get some "Kontrol Freeks" (get the ps4 ones of course) here is there official website http://www.kontrolfreek.com/next-gen-xbox-one-ps4.html and you can also get them from a UK seller http://www.limexb360.co.uk/category_s/2130.htm and you can also get them from eBay but there over priced so i just bought the green FPS CQC Kontrol Freeks for my Xbox one controller as I found the standard thumb sticks to be quite slippery, I bought mine from Kontrol Freeks website and they took 3 weeks to get here and there really worth the money about £12 including shipping, adding an amazing amount of grip and they work flawlessly been using them for just over a week now and I am so glad i bought them and plus they look cool mainly coz there green and they don’t limit the thumb sticks what so ever, you can still move the thumb sticks in all directions just like normal but faster with much more control, its kinda weird to explain in fact my accuracy/aim has improved noticeably, so yeah I’d say there worth the £12, also check some YouTube reviews if ya want more info on them.
DARKST4R's avatar
DARKST4R 3 years ago
They should change it
beeje13's avatar
beeje13 3 years ago
TO IMPROVE DS4 BATTERY LIFE: Hold down PS button, go to adjust devices, then DS4, then turn Speaker Volume all the way down to zero. This switches off the speaker (you can see the cross through speaker icon when you sign in) and saves a little battery life. It is true that the LED's won't use that much battery life. But with those, the speaker, and the capacitive touchscreen, adds up to lower battery life than the super long lasting DS3. Also, it should help prolong your battery life's permanent charge if you let it run down as low as possible to empty then charge all the way to full.
Chazza's avatar
Chazza 3 years ago
Not bothered either way to be honest, I'd like developers to use the light more in games though. There's a feature on Alien Isolation in the latest issue of EDGE magazine and it mentions this. In the game when you pull out the motion sensor the light will turn green and flash when it picks something up, the "ping" noise of the tracker will also come from the controller's speaker, it really adds to the atmosphere apparently. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about.
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 3 years ago
best way to play alien isolation is with a pair of turtle beaches, trittons or astros, which is what ill be doing also at night when its dark, now that's how ya play a survival horror game.