Wednesday Chat, January 22

Hype is a great thing for games, however sometimes doesn't it just feel like once you get the game into the machine you have to wonder what all the fuss is about?

So many times we've seen games hyped up to the eyeballs by the media, only to be disappointed at the end result. There are many games that fall victim to this, even if on the odd occasion they turn out to live up to the hype.

The opposite is also true at the other end of the spectrum, as many games which aren't even on anyone's radar turn out to be a pretty satisfying experience.

So what causes this hype? Marketing, PR, Media and of course Retail. We like to think we don't fall victim to these messages, but it does happen (just look at Titanfall, can it really live up to expectations after the way it's been built up?). So the question is, how do you decide on a game you want to buy? Are you ever caught up in the 'hype'?

Let's Chat!

Edited On 22 Jan, 2014

Comments
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I believe the majority of the hype comes more down to social networking as over recent years social networking has advanced so quickly and everyone is doing it. I usually get suckered in to a game by hype and 4/5 times i feel let down when i play it but there's the occassional time when i don't which makes it all worth it. Hyped games of 2013 that let me down one example is Bioshock infinite there was so much hype surround that game that i don't think it managed to live up to it but at the same time there was so much hype around the last of us but, i think that deserved the hype and lived up to it. Obviously this is my own opinion.
I don't really follow the Hype, mainly cos most games I want to play don't get Hyped. Only one the is right now is Fashion Souls 2
Senran Kagura Burst is Number 1 now. We know what gamers want and it is Boobies & Panties (on top of a solid game)
Hype is a joint creation of PR companies and deranged fantards, I generally ignore it these days, I've fallen for it one too many times. In other news, things went well at hospital yesterday, after hours of sitting around waiting, long enough to kill my 3DS battery, I had my surgery, they took out a couple of lumps, both of which they say are benign, so that's a weight off my mind, but it was a long day and I'm still sore from it now, so won't be doing much for a couple of days at least.
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 3 years ago
Glad it all went well Gloria :)
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Glad you got it sorted Gloria!
Thanks, it's been driving me crazy for a couple of weeks, just glad it's all over and everything's OK.
Steersy's avatar
Steersy 3 years ago
Glad it went well. Rest and gaming would seem to be the Doctors orders.
Sounds like a plan, just got a big box of chocolates I won in a competition arrive as well, will help my recovery ;)
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
First of all, pleased all is well for you Gloria. I've been suckered into the media/social hype of games, most notably was A:CM. But, at the same time 1 game I'd not even heard about that I took a punt on and loved was Singularity. I give up on listening to hype now. I go by my own gut instinct and that is telling me there is no way Titanfall can live up to the expectations if has been given
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Good to hear it all went well Gloria. I think a lot of people got burned by Aliens colonial marines. I generally try to avoid any of the hype for games that I am looking forward to so I do not really watch any of the trailers or anything. I feel that even if Titanfall is really good people will be disappointed as they are expecting massive things from it.
Singularity was a great game, too bad Acti didn't even market it
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
Sorry to hear you needed surgery, Gloria, but glad to hear the lumps removed are looking benign. With regards to the hype, it's rare I get sucked in any as I just don't really have the time to follow all the news. infrequently I may get hooked in by a game, particularly if it's talked about a lot by friends on Facebook (and the like) but otherwise, most hype passes me by. That said, I blame this site for getting me excited about both The Last of Us and GTA5. But I thank you at the same time.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 3 years ago
I rarely get caught up in the overall hype, I generally make my own; which normally ends up worse *cough Aliens CM cough*