Tuesday Chat: January 28, 2014

Are you a Nintendo fan? How do you feel about your favourite gaming company right now? Is the software giant still doing the right thing by you?

There is no doubt that Nintendo is still churning out reworked classics, and as always they are as great as ever, but it seems the world needs more from Nintendo, something completely new in order to spark interest from more than just fans.

Rumours suggest that the company is about to unveil it's mobile plans, perhaps bringing demos and smaller experiences to people on the go in order to entice them over to the real thing. Could this work?

What would you do to get Nintendo back to its former glory?

Edited On 28 Jan, 2014

Comments
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
Former glory? Hrm I love Nintendo & i for one say they have not lost there glory really but i would love to see an Metroid game for the Wii-U & 3DS at some point. Or an sequel to pandora tower or the last story but hey we'll just have to see since the year just started right.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
If i was nintendo i'd carry on making handhelds scrap the home console and make games for the xbone and ps4.
RICHARD 3 years ago
lucky enough I picked up a wiiu on a pretty good deal & love the 1st party games for the wii u,unfortunatly I don't feel any game can save the wii u now no matter how good especially with the ps4 & xboxone released,Ninetendo need good 3rd party support & that's never coming back to the wii u.I think best thing Nintendo can do is make a new console (make it compatable with the all wii u hardware/software) make this new console easy for 3rd party developers to program for use latest PC architecture so be the most powerful machine out there & real easy for 3rd partys to develop for,Think I read a rumour of Nintendo fusion which makes interesting reading
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
What I would like to see but know it wont happen is some of the multiplayer mario games come over to other consoles stuff like MArio Strikers and Golf and even Smash Bros. There is no doubt they should keep doing handhelds as they are the king in that respect. Not so sure about home console though anymore unless they can find another gimmick like the Wii maybe something with Occulus Rift?
Nintendo are doing OK as far as I'm concerned, third party support could be better, but it's not too bad, and the first party games are stellar as always. They have new IPs in the works apparently, Miyamoto is meant to be working on something new, but I'd rather see some long dormant franchises brought back really, we haven't had a new Starfox or F-Zero game in about a decade.
Light Heavensword's avatar
Light Heavensword 3 years ago
I may as well post this before i go. I'm not a big Nintendo fan like some of the others here, former glory? Nope i doubt it, 3rd party's are not wanting to make games for it and 3rd party support is just bad. Not many people are interested in it either not like they were with the Wii. I don't think any game can save the system now unless it's Mario Kart or Smash Bros. The Nintendo gamers i know of who have a Wii U said they would buy a PS4 once Sony stops ignoring the Jak and Daxter franchise...
I would probably buy a PS4 if it had some Nintendo like games for it too.
Dru1034's avatar
Dru1034 3 years ago
I love the the wii u, and I do get frustrated with people slagging it off all of the time, if you don't like it, then don't get one, I am very biased towards Nintendo I always have been, but I am also realistic, I know sony and microsoft have made some bloody good consoles, I have been lucky enough to own xbox306, ps3 and also have a ps4, But I dont use the ps4 nearly as much as my wii u. it is such a shame that third parties have been pieces of shit!! i am naming no names but if you have an exclusive and its ready for release don't be a dick and say "hay we want more more money and then release it on all consoles and hold back the release that is ready to go" I think when mario kart 8 is released that should help, and if they do in fact release zelda majoria's mask to wet our whistles while we wait for Zelda WII U. thats if the rumours are true. smash bros could help too. and if a metroid game comes out that could really help. It is such a shame that all these third parties have no faith in the WII u. I think Nintendo need to pull some massive curve ball out of nowhere ( which I think they can and will do) to get peoples attention and focus onto the wii u. it will only take a game to get the wii U as popular as the wii, once people see it as a different console.
Dru1034's avatar
Dru1034 3 years ago
plus the second screen has been such a god-send on games which you have a map for, eg, resident evil revilations, batman arkam city, wind waker hd, etc
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
I was hoping the Wii U would turn around and would not need a Xbox ONE or PS4, but that did not happen. Here is a bunch of Nintendo news from gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-stock-nosedives-on-poor-wii-u-sales/1100-6417202/ http://www.gamespot.com/articles/is-the-wii-u-really-doomed-exploring-the-pros-and-cons-of-nintendo-s-next-move/1100-6417207/ http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-nintendo-is-not-dead-to-us/1100-6417302/ http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-you-should-buy-a-3ds-in-2014/1100-6417304/ http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-you-should-buy-a-wii-u-in-2014/1100-6417257/ http://www.gamespot.com/articles/watch-dogs-on-wii-u-not-cancelled-update/1100-6417308/
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
It also seems that Nintendo are following Disney and focussing on smartphones now too. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-looking-to-bring-mini-games-to-smartphones-report/1100-6417388/
Yeah cos bringing Trailers,Info and Mini-games to Smartphones/Tablets is really focusing on them
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
What? Your definition of focussing must be different. As far as I am concerned if Nintendo were not bringing anything to smartphone then they would not be focussing on smartphones, but that article says they are. You must view "focussing" as if they will MAINLY be doing that, but that is NOT my view of the term "focussing"
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
Anyway it has been updated since I saw it, and Nintendo has shot down the report
Meaning of focus - a point upon which attention, activity, etc, is directed or concentrated
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
The whole Nintendo losing stock price shows Anthony reading news media as gospel again. No site tended to mention that it was up to standard the day after, aiming at typical stock fluxuation.
It did bring out the Nintendoom merchants, saw a few on Facebook trying to make out the Wii U was bankrupting them.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Must have forgotten all the sold wiis and mario karts.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Nintendo are doing fine by me, there are a few niggles like Third Party support (due to Third Parties really.) and the fact the Virtual Console for the WIi, Wii U and 3DS aren't linked (I would more than happily pay something to be able to get Earthbound on my 3DS.) Would love to see more of their IPs get used however, Ice Climbers, Metroid, Star Fox and F-Zero feel overdue a return. Bring back Advance Wars and Golden Sun for that matter too. And QUIT HOLDING MOTHER 3 HOSTAGE!
Peeph's avatar
Peeph 3 years ago
Getting tired of all the Nintendo bashing on the net. If you don't want to play Wii U then don't worry about us that do. I for one don't want multi-platform games on the Wii U as the first party games blow any other company/developers efforts away easily. Nintendo will do whatever they want to do as always, lets not forget that the only innovations in gaming have only ever come from Nintendo.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I think it's a bit narrow minded to think that innovations have only ever come from Nintendo. Sure it sucks that there is not much third party support but then Nintendo have not really relied on them in the past either. Even if the Wii U sales don't start picking up its not going to be the end of them they made more than enough from the Wii and still are from the 3DS.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
Anthony deleted his post again? What did he say? I do not think it was gospel so can not be meaning me. Shopto should ban him! Converstaions are getting confusing lately I just printed those links, for the benefit of everyone here. I have a Wii U and the last thing I want is for it to fail. I do not care what any of the stats say as long the publishers bring out the games and none gets dropped like Aliens CM (although not a great loss but a loss all the same) and EA with Need For Speed Rivals, which is the sign of it failing, not any reports of Nintendo losing stock.
Peeph's avatar
Peeph 3 years ago
@Zombieflamingo - Sorry if you think I'm being narrow minded but: first to have the classic 4 button layout, shoulder buttons, analogue stick, rumble pac, portable to home system link-up, Mii's, Motion controls.........
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
While I can't argue with the four buttons and the shoulder ones. I would say the analogue sticks were a Sony thing though they were not the first to really have them they used them best. Sega did try some sort of motion controller though it did fail terribly so I will give Nintendo that at least they done them right, the Mii's are just avatars so I don't really see that as being innovative but to each their own. Then you have online play which I would have to give to microsoft with xbox live for a console granted they were not the first to do it though they were the first to pull it off well.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
It would be nice if they released some old DS games on the wii U that would work well with the two screens.
3DS/DS player would be better, could be done easily enough.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Peeph you can't complain about others trolling the Wii U then troll back.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I hope so Gloria they had similar thing before for the Gamecube so there is a chance. Even just connecting the 3DS to it like in reverse of the PS4/Vita thing (not sure why they don't do that as well)
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Well the wii-u must be doing something right it gets everyone talking about it on here on a daily basis.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I'll give my input now, I wouldn't say that the wii-u is failing is just say that the group of gamers that it is targeting is getting smaller and smaller and I put that primarily down to bad parenting. I know you must be thinking what the hell! When I was 7 if I asked my mum and dad for an 18 year game I'd get a clip around my ear hole and get told to stick to my Mario but some parents now a days are buying there children games like GTA call of duty etc as young as the age of 7 so that's the games they're growing up with and this is making Nintendo games seem "kiddie". I think Nintendo should be hitting it hard with young people and try and change the perspective of these kids because at the end of the day they're the future gamers!
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I'll just also add that I'm not stereotyping all parents but most parents see games a lot different than they do say a movie they think it's ok. Generally speaking the parents who game won't buy a game unsuitable for there child as they'll no first hand it isn't suitable.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Also it doesn't help that everywhere you go there is adverts for competitive gaming MLG cod tournaments and stuff because they then want to be apart of it.
It's not really about how old they should be, it's about how mature the child is.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Nox you're absolutely correct I should of phrased it like that rather than how I did.