Wednesday Chat: January 29

Digital distribution is getting bigger, with EA reporting its highest ever profit in terms of digital sales last night. We already know Steam is a huge success and both PSN and Xbox LIVE are also performing well.

With this in mind, we'd like to know what you think of digital distribution in general? Our main issue with it is that even though you own the game, it never truly feels like your own, publishers have the right to remove games from the service, servers can be shut down.

In a more general sense, if there is a game online only and it's removed, then it's lost forever. Whereas now you can still uncover some gems thanks to second hand stores, with digital games this cannot really happen, with only the best games likely to stick around for once reason or another.

Digital distribution has its positives of course, it's fast, convenient and it doesn't give you storage problems. But with a digital future firmly on the horizon, won't there be a part of you that will miss physical copies of games?

Let's Chat!

Edited On 29 Jan, 2014

Comments
Ragnaroth's avatar
Ragnaroth 3 years ago
By far the biggest problem with a digital future is the state of our broadband infrastructure. With many still on rural connections which are typicaly 3-6mb and 10-40gb caps. And many city connections having caps. throw in strict fair usage policy's I cant see xbox one and ps4 digital distribution going too well when games are sitting at 30-50 gb and games like dead rising 3 having 13gb updates!!!.. so yeah someone has to sort out these broadband providers before any real digital future can take hold.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Being someone who doesn't really know the value of money i love digital because i have a bad habit of buying games reselling them and buying them back at a loss with digitial i can't do it so digital is very advantageous to me.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 3 years ago
Digital is nice if the price is right, I'll stick to having my hard copies though thanks. Digital should be significantly cheaper than hard copy but more often than not it is actually more expensive.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I agree that digitals should be alot cheaper.
Steersy's avatar
Steersy 3 years ago
Excellent and valid comments with regard to BB speeds and pricing. I didn't trust digital at first and while I can see it is trustworthy, I won't switch from physical media any time soon. With the xbox one having a pretty small HD and not being upgradeable and putting in a decent sized HD in a PS4 costing you c.£90 I just don't see it happening for a while. Besides which I am an old fart and love having a boxed game in my hands
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 3 years ago
and if the ps4 and xbox one will have around a 7 year span between the next generation then if i were buying digital , in all honestly I would need about 20 terabytes, not half a terabyte as you think some games are high now , I predict some games will reach 100gb in a few years
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
You know you can delete things then reinstall them right? I do agree that the HDD on the PS4 and xbox one should be bigger at least we can upgrade them granted we can't with the Xbox one yet but they are releasing the option of using an external HDD which I will prefer over having to replace the one inside. The main thing that causes issues just now is the price. If they were cheaper then I would probably go for the digital version.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 3 years ago
true, i do not like deleting and re downloading, as someone above mentioned , some people have caps so it would not make sense as it needs to be fair for everyone, but yes the price is a major issue, surely these companies know how much the disks retail at, if they want to push digital then they need to compete with physical products
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I forget that some people still have caps which is a stupid thing to have these days. The ISP's should just do away with them. Even if there is no price difference there should be more incentives to buy digital hel the amount of things that offer preorder bonuses that you will miss out on if it is digital.
Digital is good for smaller games, or sales, I would never buy a full retail release digitally though, they would need to reduce the price to around 60% of RRP for me to do that, it has to be significantly cheaper than I can get a disk copy for to offset the loss of resale value.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
I generally buy the console disc versions and then if the game is any good, I will either keep it or sell it and get the PC version from Steam in a sale. I have bought some games digitally brand new because they had a pretty good preorder deal, like Grid 2 on Steam sold it for about £26.99 with 10% off and gave away all the initial DLC for free. With getting less and less space due to many games already, I do plan to get more digital now, as games of old are worth keeping but most now are just run of the mill. I will also buy a game digitally if it is one that I will always want to play and not to sell, ones that are sandboxy and do not end and limited only by your imagination, eg games like Sim City, Rollercoaster Tycoon etc I also tend to get MMOs digitally now though, as even if you buy the box and use the code then you can not resell anyway. I have some boxes of games that totally useless - Tabula Rasa, Everquest Online Adventures PS2, Auto Assault, City of heroes, City of Villains, RF Online, Star Peace, FF XI PS2, Matrix Onine, Star Wars Galaxies (although can be used if you know where to look ;) ), and soon Vanguard: Saga of Heroes after July.