Thursday Chat, January 30

There is a real lack of game releases at the moment, and although the gaming news is starting to pick up it still feels like there is something missing. So where are the games?

Tomb Raider kicks things off tomorrow as far as PS4 and Xbox One are concerned, while february brings titles such as Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare, LEGO The Movie, Thief and a reworked Rayman Legends, but it won't really be until March we see the real big hitters, such as Titanfall and inFamous.

So why is it that 'AAA' games are held back until later in the year? Surely releasing a game when there are no others would be ideal? There must be a good reason, so what is it? Would you prefer more 'AAA' games early in the year?

Let's Chat!

Edited On 30 Jan, 2014

Comments
Steersy's avatar
Steersy 3 years ago
Maybe there is a fear from publishers that people won't have money to buy AAA releases just after Christmas. I'd love to see someone be brave enough to risk it and I'd wager there would be a pretty good response from customers (unless it's digital only, eh guys).
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 3 years ago
I would like for publisher to stop putting all the good games in one month early in the year and start using January
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Tbh i have no issue with companys all releasing there games in one month, People say they can't afford it but what's stopping them putting the money aside from the month with no games untill the games start coming? I also think it's ideal releasing loads in one month like march as i'm still yet to play most of my oct/nov games so they'll tide me over nicely untill march.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
On another note we need more news on Lord of the Rings Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor i was pumped just to hear the announcement!
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Been watching this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9oKOQs6ot0 and i'm so desperate to get my hands on it!
Would be nice if the games market was less seasonal, I'd rather have a steady stream of games all year round than all of them bunched together over a few times of the year. Tempted by the Lego movie game next month, sounds like TT have added a couple of things to the usual formula, will have to see how my finances are in a couple of weeks though.
Steersy's avatar
Steersy 3 years ago
I've pre ordered Lego, Gloria. It looks really good fun. Hopefully I won't dream of shaking blocks and spinning coins when I pile through it. I'm obviously in accord with you in respect of a more spread out release schedule. Champing at the bit for some new games.
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
Personally, I don't mind having a bit of a lull in the release window as it gives me a chance to play the games that I have on the go. There is always PS+ (just d/l Metro). Also it gives me something to look forward to, such as Thief
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
The new lord of the rings game does look good though it does look very much like an Assassins Creed game.
Tales of Symphonia in Feb & Fashion Souls 2 in March for me. I think Shadow of Mordor looks good, especially the Nemesis system . I think the most popular games hold back until the Christmas season so they can fight to be the present under the tree
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Also plants versus zombies looks pretty fun so I was thinking of getting that.
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 3 years ago
Got my tomb raider today thanks shopto, im getting all games mentioned in the article apart from rayman, titanfall will be decent-ish and will be my go to multiplayer game until halo 5 comes out. I personally dont mind how games are released as im always putting money aside for gaming releated stuff.
Because I'm bored. http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1796670_604969709579774_1629655644_n.jpg
Steersy's avatar
Steersy 3 years ago
Anyone else seen the Get Even teaser video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9oKOQs6ot0 It looks mental, but I don;t really know what I'm looking at. What's for sure is I didn't realise until half way through that it wasn't live action.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Steersy i think you copied the wrong link either that or i'm confused :S
Steersy's avatar
Steersy 3 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fri7Q-cJzRM try this...not sure what happened, but I am supposed to be working ;-)
Steersy's avatar
Steersy 3 years ago
Joe, that LOTR looks good.....but quite a lot like an AC game in terms of the movement. Seem to remember reading on Eurogamer that one of the designers of AC2 was pretty angry with what he considered to be flagrant plagiarism
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
there is only so many ways you can climb up a wall in a game though...
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Not just the climbing though the whole wraith vision was pretty much eagle vision and the way he was running over the ropes as well just looked like Ezio. Either way it still looks really good, hope the Nemesis works the way they say.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Tbh it combines my fav films with one of my fav games so all good in my eyes :P
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I agree we have been lacking good Lord of the Rings games. Would like another Battle for middle earth game as well.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
i think we need a HD remake of the ps2 ones they where some great games especially the two towers.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Only played the return of the king. The RPG one was quite good as well.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
To say sniper elite 3 is meant to release soon i haven't seen much gameplay of it.