Thursday Chat: February 6

Large scale subscription based online titles (MMORPG) and Free to play games are coming to their consoles their droves. PS4 already hosts quite a few, as does PS3. Soon Xbox One will be joining this movement and of course, PC has been home to these types of games years.

With games such as DC Universe Online, Everquest, Elder Scroll Online and more, free to play and MMORPG's are as popular as ever. So the big question is, which of these titles appeal to you? Are you happy to try out these games when they appear on your console? Are you looking forward to any of the future releases in this style of game?

Let's Chat!

Edited On 06 Feb, 2014

Comments
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 3 years ago
well free to play tends to turn out crap on consoles, looking at ps3 titles dust etc just full of micro transactions eg pay to win, dc universe is the same, i would rather pay a subscription if the extra content is good enough, i decided to give elder scrolls a go as i messaged the eso team to confirm the solo options and you can play start to finish solo, so im looking at the subscription charge just like im purchasing some dlc as the team have promised new content every six weeks, hopefully
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
This all depends really, I mean free can turn out really good i mean look at el sword & defiance among many others that are free. Also paying an fee is not so bad depending on the fee there asking for. The best monthly fee i paid for an online rpg i played was phantasy star universe & it got great support over many years it was online for. Shame sega still haven't announced the newest phantasy star online II still yet for the uk but i keep on waiting fingers crossed. But the price for skyrim online is an tad much but if they support it well then it might not be so bad but we'll see wont we. In other news my points are back every single pound very happy, well done to shopto team on sorting it out in 24 hours like i guess they would
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Couldn't care less about either. I just want to go in, buy a game and have pretty much everything at my disposal. Am even less likely to pay for extra stuff on the PS4 and Xbone considering they are now forcing you to pay online.
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 3 years ago
You'll always need Gold live to play free to play on xbox... stops them being free to play I guess. Never been a big fan though personally, I find them too time consuming.
Games are expensive enough as it is without having to pay more to play them, and online is full of wankers, so I don't bother with those sort of games. Free to play sounds good, until you realize you never get anywhere unless you pay, so that's out too.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
I have never gotten into subscription games or free to play I think mainly as I dont have that much time to play games so would never really make the most of the subscription
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
I know this is off subject but is anyone else annoyed at square enix about that we get slim pickings again. I mean talking about Drakengard 3 I mean the usa gets an sweet collectors editions & i want it so bad but no where is shipping it to the uk witch is lame. But the worst thing is that we yet again don't get an physical release in the uk of Drakengard 3 is download load only for the uk witch is an tad annoying.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
I think Square became progessively worse since they merged with Enix. Europe does seem to miss out on a lot these days.
ASC's avatar
ASC 3 years ago
Free to play on consoles is in a weird space right now, while there are some decent ones out or coming soon they are all ports from PC so kinda have installed userbase issues. Because ftp has been PC focused till just recently many titles just are not designed for controller in mind, making it harder to implement well in ports. Given the successes of some free to play PC games there is no reason it can't work on console, just need to have some console games built from the ground up for it and we may get some new and interesting titles, we just have to avoid the development of the gouging microtransaction archetype that has been spreading from mobile 'gaming'.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Hahaha Zero. I literally just found out that we are getting Drakengard 3 like 5 mins ago. Went on Shopto to see it's not there. So did a bit more digging and found we are getting Digital only while the US gets an awesome collector's edition. So was raging over the same thing. Love how this now forces me to buy the US version, thus not supporting a title I would gladly pay for, reinforcing Square's idea that we don't want the game at all. PRAISE BE!
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
I agree robichoico it's annoying, i can import the normal edition no problem but no where yet is shipping the collectors edition to the uk witch suxs.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I love MMO's and i dont mind paying a sub fee if it is updated on the regz.
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
Waiting for the postman or woman to come is so boring when you expecting an parcel. I mean i cant let them post it trough the door coz my anime boxsets then would be in ruins. Coz the royal mail hardly takes good care of fragile things these day's around my area. Yesterday I had to wait till 2.35pm even tho there usually here by 11.30am but other people have it worst then me with royal mail.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
I don't go for free to play games cos normal'y there is add on's that cost stupid prices and the games can turn out rubbish any way rather just pay for a disc based game and get on with it , finished tomb raider last night reminded me why it was a great story game just collectables to mop up now should plat it at the weekend
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
Dark-Assassin not all free MMORPG's add ons have overpriced dlc most are free & others only usually cost like £2.35 to about to £4.50 per add on depending what the dlc is.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
I saw one game on the ps store last night on ps4 black light or the tank and plane one forgot what its called and there were money add ons that cost £20 upwards just dont see the point they hook you then if you want a advantage in any way you need to pay that , out last was great also last night made me jump alot running and hiding away
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
Im not talking about high price crap like that tho. I was talking about other good free MMORPG's out there. Overprice dlc for £20 for an few items is harsh & pointless.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
get your point not all are that but just checked DC online £84.99 for a cash boost just stupid and pointless hope things will change in the future
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
Yeah now that is silly but hard core fans will buy that if there to lazy to grind to boost there money & yes that price tag for something like that is very bad. But glad you kind of agree with the point im trying to make,
ASC's avatar
ASC 3 years ago
There is somewhat of a scale when it comes to purchases in free to play titles. Some of the best charge just on cosmetics (eg Dota2 on Pc). Then there are games which charge for accelerators, which vary allot in how good they are depending on how much of a grind the game is without paying. Then there are games which provide superior items when paying - which depending on how prevalent this is it can be very bad, world of tanks has a little of this but its pretty minor, some other games are seriously Pay to Win because of this stuff though. Then of course there are the pay to skip wait timer games - which are a plague upon this earth and should all burn.
The best experiences with F2P games for me has been Rusty Hearts, Elsword, Spiral Knights & Dota 2
I buy Boosters & Favor in Dota 2 cos if I'm enjoying a game I'm more than happy to fling some money its way
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
I want to try dota 2 but when i went to download stream. I got warned by my security on my pc that it holded dangerous software on the stream downloader so I cancelled it.
ASC's avatar
ASC 3 years ago
I think I've paid more in Dota2 than I have for any other single game, but I had around 300 hours in game before my first purchase - and now approaching 1k hours, so still good value / hours of fun.
If you are downloading STEAM! from http://store.steampowered.com/ then it is fine. What Antivirus you using?
Also I have codes for Two Brothers, Tales of Maj'Eyal, Viscera Cleanup Detail: Santa's Rampage, Shadows: Price for Our Sins, Velvet Assassin & The Journey Down: Chapter One to tempt you into joining Steam
There is also a bundle right now with Cherry Tree High Comedy Club which I think you will enjoy http://store.steampowered.com/app/214610/
Here is the Bundle http://www.indieroyale.com/
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
I have not got time today for it maybe when I get abit deeper into my darksouls play trough ill try stream & get dota 2 hopefully but I don't have the time for it now sadly. Since I have darksouls.hyperdimension: neptunia & pokemon x on the go. Hrm i'm intrested in Tales of Maj'Eval any good?
Not played it yet, if you are interested I'll hold the code back for you. http://store.steampowered.com/app/259680/?snr=1_7_15__13
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Just Registered all my nintendo products and it has left me with 4850 stars :P
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
What happened to the site this afternoon? Answering the question, I'm not a fan of MMORPG. I should be, they certainly call to me, but I never have the time to get into them and casual gaming of MMORPGs, I've found, are distinctively not fun. Too many people are supped up around you and it's just frustrating. I also tend to miss a lot of "limited time" content which can also be annoying. But I can certainly see how great they are for more hardcore gamers, and it's great to see them making their way to PS4 and Xbox One
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Not a bad figure Joe with the other nintendo games you plan to buy should have a decent figure to get something good.
Not much on the stars catalogue worth buying at the moment.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
apart from that sleeping set hahah.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
I thought you would look quite fetching in that pink princess peach sleeping set Joe :D I think I will save my points until something like the Luigi coin or statue comes up.
I'll sell you my Luigi Coin & Figure if you want. (^_-)
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Already have the Luigi figure :P
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
As far as MMO's go there are some good and some bad for both subscriptions and free to play. I am really enjoying FF14 just now and while that is subscription based I do not mind as they are regularly updating it and I have not had a problem with the connections or anything, I like that you are able to change class at anytime. The only real sort of free to play one I had was Guild wars 2 and the good thing about that was that it was not pay to win its the only MMO so far I have stuck with long enough to get max level with a character.
New Sonic game announced, Sonic Boom, Wii U and 3DS only, no PS4 or Xbone as rumoured. http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/02/06/sega-announces-sonic-boom-new-game-tv-show-and-toys
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Saw that earlier Gloria. Knuckles looks stupid though I dont mind the other character designs.