ShopTo.net

Thief to run at 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbox One, dev says you can't spot the difference

Frame rate gate is back, this time with news that Thief will run at a full 1080p on PS4, while the Xbox One version will run at 900p.

We are beginning to wonder how much this really matters, but the fact that the Xbox One version of a third party game is running at a lower resolution once more is a sign that developers have not quite got to grips with the hardware just yet. It's almost the exact opposite of the last generation were developers often seemed to struggle to get the best out of the PS3.

"You really need good eyes to see the difference," game director Nicolas Cantin told Eurogamer. [The Xbox One version] is as good as the PS4 version. [The] resolution doesn't make much of a difference".

We already know that Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes will run at 720p on Xbox One and 1080p on PS4, while titles such as Call of Duty: Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition and upcoming titles such as The Witcher 3 and Watch Dogs also benefit from a higher frame rate on PS4.

What do you think of this news?

Edited On 18 Feb, 2014

Comments
Personally, unless its fixed, ill obviously be getting the PS4 version. I have both consoles. So why would i pay the same price for an inferior game?
chaos prime 10 months ago
Course it doesn't REALLY matter but the fact is the Xbone version is inferior
Loli-Nox-Tan 10 months ago
Really does not bother me to be honest.
Zombieflamingo 10 months ago
Game play is always most important but in this new gen the difference is noticed. The new tech means it can be seen. I have both systems and I am on the fence with the XB one. It lacks the quality of the PS4 for gaming. Not just resolutions. ...frame rates too are better on PS4. I looked at Titanfall beta hoping to see some promise...nope...does not look much better than a top draw 360 game and loads of technical issues and texture problems. PS4 would run the game for breakfast...There is quite a difference in 1080/60fps on this new gen. Thief is also not pushing the technical boundaries of either console so this will be close. The problem is that Sony went back to its roots...PS1&2 and created a real gaming system for gamers.
Mezzer_1 10 months ago
It should. You paid more money for a console that can't compete with its rival
Loli-Nox-Tan 10 months ago
I don't say much. But all these visual comparisons seem very shallow. No one is asking if the sound design will be better or smoother on either system? Or even if the experience will change? The differences, as with multiplat games for the last few generations will be negligible. If you're 1080p obsessed, that's fine. I'm not taking a side, because there shouldn't be a side. The game will be the same experience.
Alan 10 months ago
Alan it's basically like this going into the shop and buying a bottle of pepsi and a bottle of coke the pepsi is £1 and the coke is £1.20 but the coke has had a big slug taken out of it and isn't a complete bottle.
JoeToots 10 months ago
Never heard that one before, nice one Toots
Loli-Nox-Tan 10 months ago
good isn't it.
JoeToots 10 months ago
Interesting analogy, although that isn't based on the visual appearance. I prefer Coke, for it's taste, not the fact the it's wrapper is red, or printed at a higher (or lower) resolution when compared to Pepsi.
Alan 10 months ago
Ok it's like buying two potraits one is fine the other has a mud splat in the corner but you don't realise that untill you get it home but then you keep it and try and justify it to yourself.
JoeToots 10 months ago
The reason it does not bother me is that it is still the same game there is no content or anything missing all that is different is the slightly different resolution. The amount of games I have bought on the various consoles and PC over the years the resolution of a game has never altered my decision to buy it.
Zombieflamingo 10 months ago
Although, it's not.(in my opinion anyway) Sticking with the portrait idea, the content is the same, so the image you see will be the same, the mud is not a factor. However, I guess you could argue that, say one is the original Mona Lisa, and one is a replica, the content being the same, the creative for or processing power being the difference. With that said, most people don't realise the Mona Lisa on display in The Louvre, Paris is a replica, not the original. Which also makes me wonder, would anyone notice, or more to the point care if this wasn't mentioned every other day? (I'm not saying that information on this topic should be restricted)
Alan 10 months ago
It is not a problem with the game but it is a problem with the console
Loli-Nox-Tan 10 months ago
Also i'm more of a The Scream by Edvard Munch sorta guy.
JoeToots 10 months ago
Or perhaps, an opinion, not a problem?
Alan 10 months ago
On the portrait analogy It would be like buying the same portrait from too different shops one shop gives you a cheap frame and charges £100 more while the other shop provides a better standard of frame and doesnt charge as much.
Bindiana 10 months ago
But one frame comes with a spy camera, am I right?
Alan 10 months ago
and the other one lights up like a torch in the dark.
Zombieflamingo 10 months ago
I do really wish there was a way to turn off the lightbars on the PS4 controller
Zombieflamingo 10 months ago
When playing Outlast with all the lights off, it does kinda ruin the atmosphere.
Alan 10 months ago
no those two would be extras thrown in with the frame my analogy was just based on the display
Bindiana 10 months ago
Not tried outlast yet, but it annoyed me in Tomb Raider when you were shooting and the thing was flashing away. I usually play in the dark so it is quite noticeable.
Zombieflamingo 10 months ago
But do they not come as part of the bundle with the frame?
Put something over it
Loli-Nox-Tan 10 months ago
Sounds like advice my dad once gave me
Alan 10 months ago
I know we could but it should be an option to turn it off, I still don't understand the purpose of it.
Zombieflamingo 10 months ago
If the frame analogy is just based on display, Ie the games visual content, then the £100 shouldn't come into it as the game in question is the same price.
Alan 10 months ago
There you go guys lightbar problem solved :D http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Playstation-4-Decal-Dualshock-Lightbar-Decal-PS4-cover-Sony-Clan-Tag-x3-/251454327973?pt=UK_Home_HomeDecor_Frames&var=&hash=item3a8bd88ca5
JoeToots 10 months ago
Not a bad idea
Alan 10 months ago
I like the batman one, I will probably end up just covering it with something when I am playing it.
Zombieflamingo 10 months ago
Not really a problem, my TV can not handle 1080p anyway, only up to 1080i, plus I prefer Xbox exclusives and accumulating more Gamerscore. The Wii U versions are the worse off though! I wonder what the PC version will be?
superniceguy 10 months ago
I have to ask Guy but are you using component cables since they only support up to 1080i? + who doesn't have a 1080p screen in this day & age. (lol) I'm thinking the max supported resolution will be 3840x1080 or maybe even 2160p
Loli-Nox-Tan 10 months ago
I actually know a fair few people with a 1080p screen, one of the guys I work with only got his first HDTV this year and even at that I don't think it is a 1080p one. I have always actually wondered how many people complain about the resolution and dont even have a TV or monitor to support it.
without a 1080P screen I meant
Zombieflamingo 10 months ago
Just to throw another spanner in the works what about the good old WII U It runs all its games in 1080p and also powers the controller screen as well !!!!
Tommz1 10 months ago
Oh snap
Loli-Nox-Tan 10 months ago
And its (WII U) backward compatible with its past !!
Tommz1 10 months ago
You can also use your Gamecube controller with it (If you buy a little Add-on)
Loli-Nox-Tan 10 months ago
I didn't know that
Tommz1 10 months ago
So its also works with its older controllers as well Over to you Xbox One and PS4 Owners!!!!
Tommz1 10 months ago
Silence ........I rest my case
Tommz1 10 months ago
You gave them 3 mins to answer, of course there was silence
Loli-Nox-Tan 10 months ago
Here is the adapter you need http://www.amazon.co.uk/GC-Controller-Adapter-Wii/dp/B00BS520SG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392760126&sr=8-2&keywords=gamecube+adapter
Loli-Nox-Tan 10 months ago
Think I'll pick up one of them adaptors.
Gloria 10 months ago
That's true tom I look forward to playing Thief on the wii u..... Oh wait. I think I might get one of they adapters as well I do like the GameCube controller. Also strangely the PS4 controller will work on the PS3.
Zombieflamingo 10 months ago
Personally I don't really care if it's at 900p or 1080p. I'm playing it on a 39inch screen. The difference will be insignificant on that size a screen. What does matter is the frame rate. If both versions run at a smooth 30fps then Xbox One version for me.
viggy 10 months ago
ROFL! smooth 30fps, that is so "Next Gen"
Loli-Nox-Tan 10 months ago
I have both consoles but my ps4 is much noisier with the fan going crazy at times, I got tomb raider for the ps4 but think thief may be better on the xbox one. Ryse is 900p and is the best looking game I've ever seen. Plants vs zombies garden warfare anyone? split screen only on the xbox one.
MrG 10 months ago
I have to agree with you MrG Ryse is still currently the best looking game for the PS4/Xbox one just now in my opinion. I just hope if they make another one that they will address some of the gameplay problems like having more than one fighting style with different weapons. I really like the look of plants vs zombies and its good that it has split screen as thats something a lot of games just now are lacking.
Dragon Age Inquisition - PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PC