Wednesday Chat: February 19

It's a bit too early in the morning to get serious, but with all this controversy going around about female characters in games, we thought we'd at least touch on it.

Things kicked off a few days ago in the media with the news that Deep Down, a large scale open world RPG will not include any females. Combined with this article, this new kicked up a storm and despite the fact that the developer claims it's budget related and wouldn't fit in with the story, it seems some people are still not too pleased about the fact (which is obviously fair enough).

On a related note, we are often reminded that a lot games use the 'damsel in distress' formula to make the story work, although surely this is becoming less and less (perhaps with the exception of Mario games). There are many great examples of female characters in games, such as Ellie in The Last of Us, Lara in Tomb Raider and Faith in Mirror's Edge. Yet there still seems to be a lot of controversy around this subject. Perhaps that's because there are bad examples too; remember the old Lara? Or the countless Dead or Alive games and perhaps one of the worst offenders of all, Lollipop Chainsaw, which no-one seemed to bat an eyelid at?

So what do you think about this controversial subject? Are there enough female characters in video games? Are females portrayed in the right manner?

Let's Chat!

Edited On 19 Feb, 2014

Comments
Steersy's avatar
Steersy 3 years ago
Personally I don't really care. I don't think the medium has developed enough for me to suspend disbelief sufficiently to consider the characters anything other than vehicles for the action. Probably exception is The Last of Us and I think the two main female characters are actually very strong in that.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I have litterally the same opinion as Steersy.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
I think people just like to be outraged by things and like to think they are superior to people. The one that got me was the moral outrage about the Hitman Absolution trailer the one with the nuns. There was no outrage about the game, where the whole purpose is to invent different ways of killing people but you cant show him punching a slutty nun. I am not saying I agreed with the trailer i objected to people having moral high standards about a game about killing people. On the issue on female characters its a bit of a tough one I think some game designers still think most gamers are all geeky teenagers that are obseesed with boobs.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
OT but @bindiana i managed to beat your plants v zombies hiscore on zen yesterday not by much so you'll need to set me a higher target on that one :P i love that table.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Yeah I saw that nearly got it back last night but was about 200,000 short its quite hard to score big on the table but slowly getting to grips with how to play the table.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
i just hit and hope haha
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
haha I used to be like that and do resort to that sometimes but the more you play the more you get a feel of where on the flipper you need to hit to hit certain ramps and spots.
Not really bothered by the portrayal of women in videogames, it's unrealistic for sure most the time, and just fantasy, but it's no different to how men are portrayed, in real life heroic perfectly sculpted adonises are pretty much non existent. Games with male only create a character modes do annoy me a little though, and there's no good reason for it unless an integral part of the game is them whipping out their dangly bits.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
It doesn't really bother me if I am playing as a male or female in a game as long as it suits the character. What does annoy me in a lot of RPGs especially MMOs is when you have the heavy armour for a male which looks like it should for being a heavy armour, then a female equips it and its the equivalent of wearing a small belt.
Mezzer_1's avatar
Mezzer_1 3 years ago
The last of us, Uncharted and Tomb Raider have all done female characters really well, especially the Naughty Dog titles. Res Evil had pretty good female characters.. These worlds though we play through in our games are creative places for us to act out our video game passion! I don't care whether I play a Man or Woman... Its all good... I do have a problem though when developers go with the Sexist bit breasted stunning female or the guy who is stacked up on steroids and has no personality!... those days have changed a bit, but it still happens!... I have seen an increase in Female characters in games taking a more prominent roll and have a much more important roll in the stories and gameplay.... and that's good!
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
I couldn't care less whether the lead character is male or female. I enjoyed playing Mass Effect as much with Fem Shep as I did with Male Shep. Also Tomb Raider. I don't think it makes a difference if the story/gameplay is good. I do think it is sexist though like Gloria said that men can be built like an Adonis tank but a woman shouldn't be made to look sexy. Kojima is already up for some stick with his sniper character in MGS: P Pain
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
In today's society you need to be reflective of the people you're selling to. A large swath of gamers are female and you can't just sell stereotypical stories geared towards teenage boys any more. To have no female characters in a game any more is out dated. If a game is story driven then I don't think it's a big issue for the character to be of one gender, and whilst I think there should be more lead females, that's by the by and will eventually happen. However, where gender isn't relevant to anything there should always be multiple genders to choose from and many developers are slowly coming to this realisation. It's a shame Deep Down have stepped backwards in this department. But when it comes to stereotypes it blows both ways. Men shouldn't just be brutes with a million and one scars and muscles that make even Arnold weak at the knees. Nor should women just be big breasted bimbos that *need* a man to come save them. We're past that (or should be), as a society and good riddance. And whilst we're on the topic, I'd love to see more games with the ability for homosexual relationships portrayed and even possible for the player to engage in in some way or another. Storyline permitting, of course.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I disagree with the last bit you said Kaysar.
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
Storyline permitting, or the inclusion of homosexuality in games?
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
homosexuality in games not because i disagree with it or anything i'm talking from a fatherly point of view but it's a touchy subject which is best left undiscussed.
Any sort of sexuality should be covered by an age rating, if parents don't want their children exposed to it that is the parents responsibility. Personally I feel if you are happy to let your child pick up a virtual gun and kill virtual people but don't want them to see a broader spectrum of sexuality then you have your priorities skewed somewhat.
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
Well clearly it should only be in age appropriate games. I'm not speaking of the next Lego game ;-) Also, how is it acceptable to allow children access to games which show humans killing other humans (in a variety of inventive and gory ways) yet the idea of showing how two people can love each other is deemed "touchy" (to use your words). Homosexuals are believed to be a tenth of the population of the world. You can't just sweep it under the rug and pretend it doesn't exist. Not talking about it is exactly what stops progression. Although I am intrigued, if you wouldn't mind, explaining what you mean by a fatherly point of view?
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
My lad will not be playing any games that involve guns that's why i bought a wii-u :) and i said i don't want to discuss it.
Kaysar's avatar
Kaysar 3 years ago
Fair enough, I won't press you.
Most parents use games like COD & GTA as a babysitter & don't even know what kind of games they are. Also it isn't about how old the child is, it is about how mature the child is & if they understand what it is that they are seeing
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
As far as I'm concerned, homosexuality is fine in video games. If it is fine to show a male and female romance/relationship, then it is fine for a homosexual one to be shown. Especially if done well. TLOU done homosexuality very well.