Thursday Chat: February 20 - Titanfall

There seems to be a lot of hype around Titanfall and to be fair, we've played it and it's a fun game. The question is, do you think Titanfall is deserving of the hype surrounding it.

I've already seen plenty of ridiculous statements surrounding this game, suggesting that it's the second coming or something. Although, pre-orders across many retails sites seem to be strong, perhaps hinting that people agree.

I'm mostly on the fence in that the full game is yet to be released, although I certainly see that the potential for Titanfall to be a huge hit is certainly there.

In all honesty there are still a few questions that remain to be answered. For instance. Will this game have enough content to justify its initial outlay? After all, it is an online only game. Another question is to wonder will it have sticking power. Playing every day in a four day beta is fine, however how will people feel after a few weeks?

There are still so many unanswered questions with regards to the content with only three weeks to go. So far we 'officially' know of three titans, three game modes and three maps. There is no doubt a lot more to the game and this information could make or break it.

Finally, I'm not really sure how an online only game will sell on console. We've seen them flop before (Shadowrun, M.A.G) but at the moment things are looking promising for Titanfall.

Games being hyped up is fine. I've no issues with people being excited for a game, however as a game critic, taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture is essential and while the picture looks promising, it has yet to be complete.

So what do you think about Titanfall. Is the potential enough for you to pre-order or are you waiting for more?

Let's Chat!

Edited On 20 Feb, 2014

Comments
This is nothing more than another multiplayer game.. they've come before and they'll come again. It's being overhyped... most definately
Pyroloveridge 7 months ago
Undoubtedly it's the next big thing and deserves the hype....... just like GTA V did a few months ago......... and just as the next, next big thing will in a few months to come. I doubt that the majority of people who buy it will still be playing in a year's time. Much like any other game, really.
pastyman72 7 months ago
Saw my brother playing the beta Saturday night if you like shooters you like it if your like me and not a fan of FPS just look at it and say it looks pretty but not gonna persuade me to play it. I think it will having sticking power mainly due to not a lot out at the moment. Evolve sounds like could be the next game to challenge multiplayer wise.
Bindiana 7 months ago
Definitely overhyped, it's just another generic FPS, the CoD crowd will rave about it for a while, half of them anyway, but by October/November they'll be back playing CoD and it'll be all Titanwhat?
Gloria 7 months ago
Titanfall will sell really well I can tell you that one for free. Not because people thing it's going to be the best game ever just for the fact there's been a games drought and people want something to play to justify all that money they paid for there new xbox ones.
JoeToots 7 months ago
Yeah after playing the beta all weekend. I think it's safe to say that this is going to be a great seller. I know people say that's it's just the same old FPS but this one has a different perspective on the genre. The beta ran smoother than most games and I think it has set the bar quite high for FPS to compete with.
juschris07 7 months ago
Yes I think the hype is justified to a extent as it is a breath of fresh air regarding ideas and gameplay and its the first game ive played that actually helps the more casual gamer , but I've cancelled my pre order after playing enough of the beta. Not sure if it's my age or what but ive ordered Thief instead and im hoping the games more interesting than just runing round for 7/8 minutes. I'm not bashing the game as I really enjoyed titanfall but for me there was something missing. Well yes there is something missing..... a campaign which is the first thing I play when buying a game.
pendulum1234 7 months ago
anybody know where i can get a cheaper copy of black flag for ps4 because i refuse to pay £47
Cheapest place I can find it is ebay for about £42 new and sealed
Bindiana 7 months ago
Get it on Wii U Tootell that'll be cheaper ;)
Gloria 7 months ago
I'll go see my mate on the market today, making a new account later aswell
JoeToots 7 months ago
My copy of DK is on its way :)
Gloria 7 months ago
I will not be getting Titanfall, installed Beta died a few times and then logged out - these games I really do not like. My copy of DKCF is already with me and is well cool ;). AC 4 is due for sale soon it seems the Skull edition was on sale at GAME for £45 but is now out of stock. it takes is for there to be sale, and it will always be cheap. Today £50, tomorrow £30. Just need to stay patient. Speaking of sales Xbox has been having daily deals in an Ultimate game sale, even XB1 - I am surprised ShopTo has not covered this. The 360 has more sales, but Tomb Raider Defiintive edition was on sale on Day 1 and Ryse was on sale yesterday for 33% off.
superniceguy 7 months ago
The sale is now in day 3 http://majornelson.com/2014/02/19/xbox-360-ultimate-games-sale-day-3/ It only lists the 360 games but to see if any XB1 game is on sale you need to keep track of Major Nelson on twitter https://twitter.com/majornelson
superniceguy 7 months ago
Titanfall is well worth the price, its a game i will still be playing untill the sequel comes out. Dont understand how people can say multiplayer only games should be cheaper when they last far longer than singleplayer. Titanfall has defo lived up to the hype for me, now i've gotta wait 3 weeks to play it again :(
SolidSnake 187 7 months ago
Imo Titanfall is being over-hyped, maybe because it will launch on a smaller userbase. I have watched the live feeds and can say that I am not impressed. I hope it does do well as it is Respawn first game. I for one will not be buying any sequels if/when they appear on PS4
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 7 months ago
Well i can say i've actually played it and its bloody brilliant, was'nt that hyped for it until i played it now im counting down the days until it comes out. Of cause it does help if you do like them kind of games, i just found it so much better than cod and dare i say it battlefield, which is my fave multiplayer game, but i can see titanfall taking over.
SolidSnake 187 7 months ago
Regardless of you actually playing it or not it's still over hyped and will not live up to the hype. for god sakes it has won over 50+ awards already and it hasn't even been released! if that isn't over hyped then i don't know what is.(see post bellow for all awards)
JoeToots 7 months ago
Tokyo Game Show 2013 Tokyo Game Show Future Game of Show Award PAX 2013 Destructoid Editor's Choice GamesRadar Best of PAX 2013 - #1 Gamescom 2013 Destructoid Best of Gamescom Editors Choice Gamescom Awards Best Console Game, Microsoft Xbox Gamescom Awards Best Next Generation, Console Gameswelt Best of Show Jeuxvideo.com France Best Xbox One Game Jeuxvideo.com France Best FPS NWTV Gametip Gamescom 2013 PC Games Editor's Choice X360/Xbox One Award PC Games X360 Games Editor's Choice PC Award Play3 Editor's Choice PS3/PS4 Award XGN Best of Show E3 2013 @Gamer Most Valuable Game Atomix Best Xbox One Game CNET 12 Most Exciting Games of E3 2013 CV Games Best of E3 2013 Destructoid Game of Show Digital Spy Best Shooter Digital Trends Best Microsoft Exclusive EGM Now Best Game of E3 2013 EGM Now Best Shooter Electric Playground Best of E3 Electric Playground Best of E3 (Shooter) EW.com Most Exciting Games at E3 2013 Game Critics Awards Best of Show Game Critics Awards Best Original Game Game Critics Awards Best Console Game Game Critics Awards Best PC Game Game Critics Awards Best Action Game Game Critics Awards Best Online Multiplayer Game Informer Best in Show Game Informer Best Multiplayer Game Game Informer Best Shooter Game Informer Best Multiplatform Game Game One Best Multiplayer Game Game Revolution Best of E3 Game Shampoo Best Shooter GamerNode Best of E3 Gamers Game of Show GameSpot Best of E3 (Editor's Choice) GamesRadar Most Valuable Game GamesRadar Best Call of Duty Game GameTrailers Best New IP Gaming Excellence Best Console Exclusive Gaming Excellence Best Shooter Gaming Trend Best of Show Gaming Trend Best Shooting Game GryOnline Best New Brand GryOnline Best Action Game Hardcore Gamer Best Xbox One Game Hardcore Gamer Best Xbox 360 Game IGN Best Overall Game IGN Best Xbox One Game IGN Best PC Game IGN Best Shooter IGN Australia Top 21 Games of E3 2013 IGN Italy Best Multiplayer Game Xbox One Lazy Gamer Best Multiplayer Machinima Game of Show Machinima Best Shooter Official Xbox Magazine Most Valuable Game PC Gamer Most Valuable Game PC Gamer Best FPS Polygon Editor’s Choice Pop.com.br Best PC Game RadioTimes 10 best games of E3 2013 Rev3 Games Favorite Games of E3 2013 Techno Buffalo Top 5 Games from E3 2013 The Nerdist Best in Show The Telegraph UK Top 15 Best Games of E3 2013 USA Today Top 10 Favorites from E3 (#1) VentureBeat Game of Show Worthplaying Best of E3 2013 Xbox 360 Achievements Best Shooter of the Show Yahoo! Games Best of E3 2013
JoeToots 7 months ago
I think sony have hyped infamous up the right way, because they've hyped it up just so people really know about it but with titanfall it's forced upon you on every gaming site you go on.
JoeToots 7 months ago
Trade show awards are irrelevant as they are purely based off how much hype they generate at the related show. What matters is the actual content, and from what has been seen in the beta its looking good. The game seems a solid fast-pace action FPS with a rather light, but fast gunplay, The inclusion of titans adds new factors to the game as though they are a powerful unit, they are somewhat vulnerable if an enemy player gets on top of you. From what I've seen it looks like one of the better FPS around assuming that there is enough variety in the main game and they don't have major bugs. That being said, its hardly going to attract the interest from anyone who doesn't want to play a multiplayer FPS
ASC 7 months ago
Youd said it yourself trade show awards are purely based off how much hype surrounds them and that's what the discussion is about hype...
JoeToots 7 months ago
Just got my far cry 3 plat and soon after my rayman drops through the letter box 1 plat a week so far , looking forward to playing rayman been ages since i played one
Dark572Assassin 7 months ago
even GTA V didn't get this much hype...
JoeToots 7 months ago
Good luck with the rayman plat you'll need it mate...
JoeToots 7 months ago
looking forward to the challenge of it joe lol, but thief will take over my time next week
Dark572Assassin 7 months ago
there is a trophy on rayman which requires you to get xp by completing about 6 months of daily challenges so you'll certainly get your moneys worth
JoeToots 7 months ago
I fell that there are far too many games that are overhyped, personally I try to avoid watching all the trailers and so on for them. I played the beta of Titanfall and really enjoyed it. The game plays really smooth and seems quite balanced on the beta also never had any bugs or that which is unusual for a lot of games these days especially for a beta, though if you are not a fan of multiplayer or FPS games then it is definitely not for you. Also Joe from what I have heard the AC4 on the Wii U is probably the worst version in terms of performance though I do not know how true that is.
Zombieflamingo 7 months ago
I managed to pick a copy for ps4 up on ebay :)
JoeToots 7 months ago
Nice, it is quite fun definitely better than AC3. If you get annoyed with the singing you can turn it off.
Zombieflamingo 7 months ago
stoo how do you know if its been overhyped when you haven't even played it, i was thinking this game was getting overhyped and everyone would be a bit disappointed with it, but thats really not the case, i've had so much fun with the beta and everyone else i've spoken to on live has to. I get the feeling thats not what you wanna hear though, enjoy second son though, looks good, and 1080p ;)
SolidSnake 187 7 months ago
This is the 4th time i've bought it to tell you the truth... bought it on release bought it one of here bought it off a guy on my local market and now off ebay.
JoeToots 7 months ago
SolidSnake 187 how do you know i haven't played it?
JoeToots 7 months ago
Why do you keep selling it, even if you have not played it you can still tell if something is going to be overhyped when you constantly see new stories, trailers and adverts for it, they are never going to live up to the hype. Though I do feel it all depends on the hype that you give it yourself for overhyping something. Also hype is a weird word.
Zombieflamingo 7 months ago
people talking about how good assassins creed 4 is why i keep selling it, i keep going in with really high expectations so now i'm going in with low expectations.
JoeToots 7 months ago
Toots you should just get it when you get your PC
Loli-Nox-Tan 7 months ago
apologies if you have played it but it don't sound like you have
SolidSnake 187 7 months ago
Joe, AC4 is epic - trust me. Up to 92% now
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 7 months ago
see the first few times i tried it i got up to the bit where you had to hunt animals and though it was just pretty average..
JoeToots 7 months ago
It looks like it's a good mix. Game is very good while it being hyped quite a lot so it will probably be overhyped but not by much. 50 game awards isn't much when you consider Tomb Raider got 40+ and wasn't overhyped either. The people who call it overhyped will be the ones who won't play it.
DynamiteWhyte 7 months ago
Hype is how they sell most games these days. The more paid to hype up a title, the more it'll sell.
Robichoico 7 months ago
For me it just get old really quick As above it will sell because theres nothing else
jaijai 7 months ago
Dynamite i got it wrong it wasn't over 50 it was over 75..
PS4,PS3,Xbox360,XboxOne,PC,3DS,Wii