Xbox One will not be sold without Kinect, says MS

Microsoft has no intention of selling Xbox One without Kinect, according to Xbox UK Marketing Chief, Harvey Eagle.

"[A Kinect-less Xbox One] is not in our plans at all," Eagle told Eurogamer in a recent interview.

"As we've said from the very beginning, we believe Kinect is an absolutely integral part of the Xbox One experience."

As an example, Eagle used some of the services currently available on the Xbox One which require use of the camera.

"Look at all the thousands and thousands of game clips that have been posted by gamers to Upload Studio, of their gaming highlights, captured by speaking the words 'Xbox record that', which has already become part of Xbox vocabulary.

"It's a really great example of how Kinect makes the experience on Xbox One even better."

Microsoft announced that Twitch TV Streaming will be added to the Xbox One next month, which gives the company another reason to make sure Kinect is included with the Xbox One.

Do you think MS is smart to keep Kinect in as part of the overall package?

Edited On 25 Feb, 2014

Comments
They'll change their tune eventually. Probably by Christmas.
Screw that. In my experience the Kinect worked for the first few voice commends but refused to work after that
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
They say that but they will sell a Kinectless version. They need to separate it, as if my Kinect breaks outside the warranty I am not buying a Xbox ONE just to get a new working one, and the same vice versa. Let alone the fact it will attract more people to buy the console.
Also if they remove the useless brick the price would be more in-line with the PS4
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
How are MS doing with the innovative Kinect integration into their games?
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
Who knows what the future holds. Even with Sony taking the lead at the moment I don't think Microsoft are panicking, early days yet. My bet is if in 6-12 months from now Sony are still pulling away Microsoft will just drop the price even further and still leave Kinect in and they have the resources/pockets to do it. I still personally like the Kinect, if nothing else it's something different from the same old same old. Sure it hasn't shown anything amazing regards to games even though I think it's shown potential but it's still very early days yet so we shall see.
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
Tbh I prefer the concept of the touchpad, it is much more versatile than just shouting/waving at a camera. For the record I have the PS camera
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
The kinect is mainly used for navigation from what I can gather and not actual games i have a ps4 camera and it becomes annoying sometimes in games such as Tomb Raider where it would randomly change weapons if I sneezed or coughed.
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
Mine used to listen because it thought I said Playstation, have images of little bloke inside sulking because I wasn't talking to him! Not had any other random events with mine though. Also, I personally love the light bar
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
i had that bin but i dont have a camera but it turns out you can also say voice commands down the mic aswell.
mcdirect99's avatar
mcdirect99 3 years ago
well dunno if u guys shout at your Kinect or have some mad accents but mines worked flawlessly since day one
Light Heavensword's avatar
Light Heavensword 3 years ago
They should make it an extra accessory like the PS4 camera. Meh.
I'm Scottish
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 3 years ago
I have the p's camera, don't use it myself but my youngest loves the playroom
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 3 years ago
I'm kinda glad that M$ have no plans to make Sony's life a little harder. After all they are consistent - they've invented this shit, now they have to keep shoving it...
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I don't have an issue with the commands personally but my friend just can't get them to work so it really just depends on how strong your accent is. Not a fan of the touchscreen on the PS4 controller yet got really annoyed with it in killzone but will wait and see what else they do with it. So have sony completely given up on the playstation move now and does the PS4 support it?
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 3 years ago
ps4 must support the move, we dont have one but our just dance 2014 give us the option of playing with the move controller
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 3 years ago
Microsoft will need to make new Xbox One and have at less Day 1 update install on it, since Xbox One from the Box still have DRM announced ad E3
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Good to know Jay i was just curious