Thursday Chat, February 27

What a week, Sony has finally got PS4 out in the open in Japan and Microsoft has cut price of the Xbox One in the UK.

On top of all this, Microsoft has also bundled Titanfall with Xbox One, which certainly seems to be having the desired effect, since it's selling, all while PS4 remains pretty much out of stock online (unless you Shop at ShopTo, we still have some left).

The big question is. Has Microsoft turned things around with this minor price cut? Will the fact that it has Titanfall coming out combined with the fact that PS4 is still hard to come by, really make a huge difference to sales of the console?

After a great start, have Sony got it all wrong by not having enough stock?

What do you think?

Let's Chat!

Edited On 27 Feb, 2014

Comments
FantasyMeister's avatar
FantasyMeister 3 years ago
I'm not convinced Titanfall will be Microsoft's saviour, but they've got Halo 5 coming up next year which will keep them in the competition. They'll have to throw a lot of money away if they want to lead the field within the next few years, but long term who knows? Personally I made the switch to PS4 this gen, found it worthwhile keeping my 360 at the same time as there's a lot of life in it yet. Currently rocking on the FFXIV PS4 beta, and loving it. Nintendo are going to have to pull out something major if they want to stay in the home console market, Wii-U doesn't appear to be the answer.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I think what microsoft need to do to turn things around is try and turn around the bad talk about the actual console its self.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
what i mean about that is plenty of times i've heard that the kinect is unresponsive that the UI is terrible and that it's more a media hub than a games console these are the stereotypes microsoft need to try and change to turn there fortunes around.
Steersy's avatar
Steersy 3 years ago
Morning all. @FM agree in general with your comments. Joe, have you used the XBone? I haven't so would appreciate feedback of real experience rather than anecdotal. Personally I'm not against using it as a media hub if it's done right, but I just haven't seen it apart from at a launch event and it was....a bit flakey. BF4 crashed 5 times in the half hour I was watching.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
If you're talking to me no i haven't used one but i'm hoping to pick one up next month.
Artemisthemp's avatar
Artemisthemp 3 years ago
Xbox one currently doesn't posses other game than Forza 5, that would make me consider to getting a Xbox One, if D4 or Quantum Break is as good as trailer make it out to, then maybe. My biggest issue with PS4 is that, I can't export the video to a USB Harddrive, edit video or upload directly to Youtbue.
Steersy's avatar
Steersy 3 years ago
Yep, I was asking you. Interested how you get on with it, when you get one. Anyone else got an opinion on the UI and Kinect?
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Steersy's avatar
Steersy 3 years ago
Knack was a train wreck, can't believe the sony execs allowed that to be released / be associated with it. I suppose they didn't really have enough games with Drive Club, Watch Dogs etc delayed.
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
i mean what is it you'd really like to know about it? its (the UI) set up so that you can use kinect with it, or smartglass (which is awesome for netflix ect) ive got all my games pinned to the dash so i don't have to use the menus, but its as simple as clicking games&apps then selecting the game. got a question, ask it and i'll try answer it.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I've heard there is alot of crash issues IGS is this true or is it being blown out of propotion.
Steersy's avatar
Steersy 3 years ago
I still have my 360 and kinect, and the response time and how far away you need to be were poor and restrictive respectively. Is it any better in that regard. I know I could read about it in reviews, but I appreciate real life knowledge. Cheers Im going space
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
Toots, the only game that ive had issues of crashing with is battlefield 4. and we all know thats not down to the console, although it has only been once or twice. not had any other games crash yet. (Forza, Ryse, DR3, Peggle, Halo Assault or KI) and the kinect is much much better this time round, i dont use it a lot atm as i dont have any Kinect titles (headtracking was weird, cool but wierd) but it picks me up clearly up closer than the old one and clearly further away. it seems to track my 5 year old nephew much much clearer than the old one too.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I have never had my xbox one crash one me, the only issues i have had were in games like battlefield where it booted me back to dash but then that's a game issue. I have not used the kinect for motion tracking but the voice recognition is a lot better and that's with a Scottish accent. Its good at recognising you as well to sign you on.
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
another cool thing i noticed is if you are watching something and pause it, when you leave the room it does the dimmed display thing like when it goes idle. gotta love the little things right? on the note of crashing, hows the PS4 doing for game crashes?
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I've heard alot of people having issues with EA titles crashing on PS4 but personally i've only had it happen once or twice and that's with over 150 hours sunk into battlefield 4 online.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
can pick the xbox one up for £384 (£16 cashback with quidco) off micro store
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
fair enough, toots you may aswell go for the titanfall deal, at least then you get a free game and a month (or year, ive heard both...) of gold.
Steersy's avatar
Steersy 3 years ago
@IGS I've had three major game crashes which have corrupted the save files. I know backup to the cloud every time I launch a game. Not ideal, but at least I'm not risking losing all my progress. Hope they fix it soon. Oh and the PS4 fans are pretty noisy, certainly noisier than the 360 slim
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
i was quite surprised with the one actually, considering how big the fan is, about how quiet it is. must be that lack of processing power :P
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Joe's on a twitter rampage again :P
Neither console is doing anything for me right now, and neither have anything announced for the future that grabs me either. Hopefully that'll change by Christmas, I was planning on picking one or the other up then, but if there's still nothing that takes my fancy by then I'll just wait it out and save my money.
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
Destiny is out before xmas. what exactly DOES take your fancy?
I'm still not sold on Destiny, looks like it might be interesting, but I've really had enough of grey/brown shooters to last a lifetime. Can't really say what will take my fancy, I'll know it when I see it though.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
Well glad i picked up thief played a bit of the first mission and loved it great graphics and sneaking about to find hidden items this will take my time for ages and the challenge of a bit of hud is great , as for xbox one i will be picking one up in sep/ oct not enough games on it for me at the moment
Have a look at the two Senren Kagura Burst ads http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/senran-kaguras-uk-commercials-humiliation/
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
“ Don't get me wrong i love my ps4 but the exclusives haven't gripped me like i though they would. ” stooT eoJ - This is the main reason why I have not got a PS4 yet, fortunately though the Xbox ONE exclusives have gripped me. If people do not care for the exclusives of either console then the PS4 will be the best choice. The many Xbox ONE exclusives is its biggest selling factor, and I think MS are counting on Titanfall selling as much like Call of Duty. (Call of Duty was mentioned in Bones last night)