Batman Arkham Knight announced; pre-order details from ShopTo, get Harley Quinn DLC

Batman: Arkham Knight has been announced by Warner Bros.

The game was first revealed via Game Informer and you can see the cover art in the screens below.

What's unique about the latest title is that the Batmobile is finally a core element of the gameplay,  meaning that you'll be able to roam around an entirely new area of Gotham City, far larger than Arkham City. Villains revealed so far include Scarecrow, Penguin, Two-Face and Harley Quinn.

According to game director Sefton Hill, Arkham Knight is set one year after the events of Arkham City, "We've known it's what people want," Hill said in a video on the site. "It refreshes the whole experience.

"This is the natural end for the story. We really want to go out in style."

Arkham Knight will release later this year on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC and if you pre-order from ShopTo you'll gain access to DLC which allows you to play as Harley Quinn and use her weapons on abilities across four exclusive challenge maps.

Edited On 04 Mar, 2014

Comments
Nah, I'll wait for the complete edition
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
Shame this is not being released on Xbox 360 and PS3 too. It started on Xbox 360/PS3 but finishes on Xbox ONE and PS4. Those not wanting to bother with next gen, will now miss out on the finale. PC rules, as will be able to play all Batman games on the one same PC instead of multiple hardware.
I agree with you that it should be on the X360&PS3. This will seriously limit sales since I don't see people buying a new console for the game
tigertron's avatar
tigertron 3 years ago
I'm pleased this is current-gen only. I don't want a dumbed down game for last-gen systems. The fact that it's being made for the PS4/XB1/PC means we'll get more out of it. Thanks Rocksteady. :)
Yeah! Fuck the people who don't wanna/can't afford to upgrade
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
There is that tigertron, but considering this is the last game in the series they still could have done this for Xbox 360 and PS3. It is a bit off having a series of games across multiple consoles, hence why PC rules. If they planned on doing a Batman game on an annual basis, and this would not be the last, then it would not have mattered. Maybe they will re-release all Batman games on Xbox ONE/PS4 and call it the "Kapow Splat " edition! Mainly for newcomers who start off with Xbox ONE and PS4, as I doubt they will be motivated to start off with this game, but it will still screw Xbox 360/PS3 owners not wanting to upgrade.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
I rather play a game built for next gen like batman than play a slightly polished ps3/360 game i think thief would have turned out better if it was built for next gen only either way pre order in
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
These are pretty good, although the last one had too many glitches. Kinda annoyed at how badly Origins was treat for the Wii U folk and it not even appearing but w/e. Oh well 5 games over 4 consoles, reminds me of Kingdom Hearts XD So what I wanna know is what is the difference between the two PS4 versions Shopto have on their site? Or is it a wrong picture?
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
its PC just wrong picture
Meh, bored of Batman after Arkham City, even adding the Batmobile it's still just going to be more of the same.
teddy1590's avatar
teddy1590 3 years ago
To the people complaining about it being on PS4/X1/PC, saying it's not fair they can't get it as they can't afford to get the new consoles, when was the last time I was able to get a game for my PS2? By the time the game comes out, the new consoles will have been out for a year, and at that point games releases for last generation consoles will really be drying up. Why should the people who upgraded to the current generation be made to play an inferior game because the devs made it cross generational? They can't keep producing games for the last gen as well as for current gen simply because the last generation of hardware holds them back.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Teddy Fifa 14 came out on the PS2 at the same time as the other consoles :)
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Teddy to out things into perspective the last ps2 game to be produced was released on 24 September 2013 so your comment is invalid
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather they put all their production in to working on the PS4/XB1/PC versions of the game rather than limiting their versions by going on the PS3/360 too.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Fuck da peasantz brah
teddy1590's avatar
teddy1590 3 years ago
They made Fifa games for the PS2. Wow, my comment is invalid. Nevermind the fact that almost no effort was put into making/porting it, as it's essentially a patch on a disk that updates teams and strips, running on the same game engine from years ago.
robioto's avatar
robioto 3 years ago
Get in!
spike6958's avatar
spike6958 3 years ago
Awesome. It's about time games started been developed exclusively for current gen systems instead of been watered down for last gen. I didn't pay all this money for a new system just to play last gen games on it. Oh and for everyone complaining that they can't afford a new console right now, the game will still exist when you can, you don't have to play every game day one if you can't afford to, but stop expecting those who have bought new systems to compromise for you, there are plenty of great games to play on older systems.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
No PS360 OR Wii U versions? Ouch... big boy hardware only it seems. Fine by me. PS4 version day one :)
No one is saying they can't afford one of the new consoles you Prat
The point is that they should at least give a version to the people who don't wanna/can't afford to upgrade, how would you feel if it was the other way around. Oh & yes the game will still exist when you finally do get one but until then you will just need to avoid spoilers like the plague
teddy1590's avatar
teddy1590 3 years ago
@ Loli If it's not that they can't afford them then what's the issue? Just buy one and enjoy the games on it. If it's a case of "not wanting to upgrade" then you really have no right to complain. If they spent the time to make a version of the game on PS3, 360 and Wii U, that's time that's not being spent making the game on X1, PS4 and PC the best it can be. How would I feel if it was the other way around? What do you mean, if the game was on 360/PS3/WII U? I'd be ok with that, I bought Arkham Origins last year on 360 and enjoyed it. Or do you mean if it was coming out only on a console I didn't own? In that case, I'd decide it was time to get said console, not complain about how developers are choosing to not handicap themselves by not developing on 8-9 year old hardware...
If that is the case then then why are they releasing on the Xbone/PS4 at all since the consoles might have just been released but they technically are old tech. They should just release on PC only so the game can reach its full potential
teddy1590's avatar
teddy1590 3 years ago
True, even now with the launch of new consoles PC's can be more powerful for a reasonable price, and multiplatform games still look and perform better on my PC than my PS4. I would love for them to make a PC exclusive Arkham game, and that goes for any 3rd party publishers, but the console market is too huge for most publishers to ignore. Given the news yesterday that the PS4 is selling at a faster rate than the original WII, by the time this game releases there will be a huge install base on both consoles. By releasing on current gen and PC, they're able to make a great looking game, but still have a huge market to sell to. If they also released it for last gen, you'd have a massive install base, but the game would be more limited in terms of scope, gameplay and visuals, and would likely sell worse than if you focus on pushing current gen consoles, making a better game more people want to buy. Also, software sales on last gen are beginning to slump, with many people already moving exclusively to next gen. Many publishers are probably wondering if it's in their best interests to port games to the older consoles at this point given how quickly the new generation are taking off (I don't think anyone imagined it would be this quick)
See now that is a good argument, a lot better than "Screw the people who can't afford it, I want something for my new shiny toy"
Though WB could have another Development team port it over, not like it hasn't been done in the past. I'm just saying that only releasing it on Xbone/PS4 is a kick in the teeth for some people but I do see why they aren't. The PS3 still has some life in it yet but the X360 has been pushing over its weight for a while now
teddy1590's avatar
teddy1590 3 years ago
I could see them maybe make some kind of tie in game for the 360/PS3, maybe have the team who made origins make it. But the problem with porting it is if they really are going be pushing the current gen consoles with it, getting it to run on last gen could be a problem. They'd likely need to cut back on scale, AI and possibly certain gameplay elements, as well as obviously seriously cutting back on the visual fidelity. By the time they would be finished, it could end up looking like a half finished game. That's why I think a tie-in game, or maybe an Origins sequel is more likely from another team than a straight port of Arkham Knight.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Don't think you can be the one to decide what a good argument is Nox when you think 'they should just release games on PC' is a great argument ;)
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
And 'screw the people who can't afford it' was my argument right enough. It's like saying why don't they make the God of War games on PS2, they started out there, right? So should be PS2/PS3. FIFA being made on the PS2 is the worst argument too, it's the same engine that they've used for years and years and htey just put it down at full price with a transfer update. If people want Batman with just some new skins, then petition for it. But optomising for the better Consoles is the best way for multiplats to go.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
My main point of it being on Xbox 360 / PS3 is that there are 4 Batman games on them (including Blackgate) and this last one is not. The next gen now has only one, and if people want to play the first four (if being new to consoles with xbvox ONE/PS4) will have to get a Xbox 360 or PS3 console or get PC. Thief could easily have been a next gen only game as it is a standalone game and has not been a series on Xbox 360 / PS3. It is also sad to learn that there will be no more Batman Arkham games to come, although I doubt it will be the last Batman game, and that game could have been next gen only. If they were still doing more Batman games, then it may be worth upgrading and time to move on. There will be probably be a Gof of War for PS4 and another God of War of for PS5, but there will not be another Batman game of this Arkham series going into PS5, therefore it sucks that this game is not being on Xbox 360 or PS3
I wasn't being serious when I said 'they should just release games on PC' & I don't mean that every game should be on the previous gen console like your comment suggests", God of War 3 was released in 2010 and the PS3 was in 2006/2007, it wasn't less than a year like this
teddy1590's avatar
teddy1590 3 years ago
I don't understand this mentality of "All the previous games are on last gen, this one should be too". Even if it's only one more game, who cares? Unless your an idiot and sell your 360/PS3 for the measly trade in prices game/cex offer, you can still play the older games. I still have my PS2 and a huge library of classic games. For months now people have been saying they wont upgrade to current gen because it's all just shiny ports of last gen games, and now that a respected developer announces a highly anticipated game is coming to current gen and PC, people are outraged? Isn't that the incentive you were waiting for to upgrade to the current gen?
Oh & another thing that makes this different then the previous cycle is that this isn't an SD to HD transition
I'm not outraged, I would buy it on PC if I was interested in the game but the people who can't get one of the new consoles deserve to at the very least get a watered down port so they can finish off the trilogy
PS: The incentive I am waiting for is Price
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
With only one game it is not worth an upgrade, and it being on next gen is only beneficial to those migrating and moving on, but those just starting on Xbox ONE and PS4 will have to buy Xbox 360 or PS3 to play the first few games first, which they may not bother. If I have not played a game in a series I tend to play the first ones first, if I can not play the 1st one then I will not play the last one. So if I was starting out on Xbox ONE and did not want to get Xbox 360 then I would not bother getting Arkham Knight. Arkham knight is set 1 year after Arkham City, so playing these games in order matters. The next mass Effect game being on next gen should not matter much, as Mass Effect 1-3 was a trilogy series
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Yeah but http://i.imgur.com/5gvmm6P.jpg
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Technically Nox it's a tetralogy
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
But we have God of Wars on the PSV, Uncharteds on the PSV, we had a Fire Emblem game that was on Gamecube where it's continuation was on Wii. There is no need to have all the same series on the same system or generation.
No one is saying that
teddy1590's avatar
teddy1590 3 years ago
@superniceguy Come on, the vast, VAST majority of people with an Xbox One and PS4 will be people who had, or still have, a 360 or PS3. They could still play the older games if they want. The game is coming out October, almost a full year since the new consoles launched. If you haven't upgraded by the point, expect to see new releases for the last generation to dry up considerably, as developers want to be making their games the best they can be, and publishers want to be putting out games on the systems that are the most popular at the time, which by the end of this year, will be the X1 and PS4.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Tony is saying that it should be on the same one....
Cheeky Monkey's avatar
Cheeky Monkey 3 years ago
Have to agree with Gloria, I've a feeling it's all going to get a bit boring if it follows all the same cues as Asylum and City. Although Arkham City was undeniably a good game technically and graphically, it did kinda just feel like the previous game all over again only bigger. What I really hate about the Batman games is all the pointless challenge maps and riddler trophies. I just can't be bothered with that tripe. I would rather they just scrapped those altogether and added more story mode. That would entice me to buy it, but if it's got all that same crap in it again then I'm just not interested thanks.
Cheeky Monkey's avatar
Cheeky Monkey 3 years ago
Infact I would much prefer it if they left out all that unnecessary 'filler', just gave us a good story adventure as it stands, and then they could make the game half the price because of all the development costs they saved not having to put in stuff that only numbnut trophy hunters want anyway.
Totally agree on all the padding CM, with Asylum and City I just did the story and got rid of the games, couldn't be bothered with all the crappy side missions. Interestingly I got an email about this last night from Rocksteady/WB, and the tag line was 'THE EXPLOSIVE FINALE TO THE ARKHAM TRILOGY' so seems they don't even think Origins and Blackgate count as part of the series.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
I already have a Xbox ONE, so I am not worried and will probably get it anyway, but I am thinking of others, and I do not think the first batch of next gen games will be much superior than that of Xbox 360 / PS3, and Xbox 360 / PS3 are still going strong. If they had not done one for years and Xbox 360 / PS3 is history then there would not be much choice, but to put the LAST game of the series on next gen ONLY is poor planning. From comments of others people do not seem interested in the game as it is, add in the fact the series ends another console is another turn off, it may not sell much at all. This game would benefit being on Xbox 360 / PS3 more so than Thief.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
we know you have one atony IT'S ALL YOU GO ON ABOUT.
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
oh lolz... seriously tony you need to learn how to cut to the chase a bit quicker... your comments are a chore to read, I usually give up halfway through if not sooner...