Future Xbox One update will include support for external hard drives

Microsoft has confirmed it will be introducing support for external hard drives in a future update.

Whitten also confirmed Microsoft are "working on friends notification improvements and experimenting with how to make that better.

"Just as we do with Xbox 360, we'll be continuing regular updates to Xbox One: some will be big, like this March update, and some will be smaller. Big or small, we're committed to delivering continuous innovation through system updates like this one."

The latest Xbox One update is rolling out from today.

Edited On 05 Mar, 2014

Comments
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
ooh this'll be good with the Usb 3's. drop a 2TB alongside the box = happy me.
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 3 years ago
M$ down their old path. Add $200/$300 more for another external non-upgradable brick...
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Sounds good, hopefully sony will provide support for it as well. When did we have to pay that for a microsoft external hard drive? I think you might be shopping in the wrong place.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Actually I do remember the hard drive prices being quite expensive when the 360 first came out but that changed when the bigger hard drives were available but then it's no different that sony charging stupid prices for vita memory cards.
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 3 years ago
Sony provided already in a way when you don't need external HDD, ZF. X360 never had external separate sold HDD? Really??
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I know I can change the hard drive on my PS4 but I still want an external one. I did add in the comment above I forgot about the way the hard drives used to be attaching onto the end.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
This is how the Wii U operates too, by allowing external USB HDDs for extra storage, and they only give the console 32GB. Swapping out a HDD is neater but getting external HDDs is more safer, less risk of HDD getting damaged when swapping over, especially if end up with multiple HDDs. I have not yet got an external HDD for the Wii U yet, but might be able to partition it so the same external HDD works for both, one partition for Wii U, and one partition for Xbox ONE