Tuesday Chat, March 11

It's Tuesday and this week sees the arrival of the ultra tough Dark Souls II, this is sure not a game for the light hearted, which got us thinking, has gaming went a bit soft?

Do you like a challenging game? What was the last really challenging game you played? A game so frustrating that you probably broke a few controllers of the wall in the process of completing it. Are there enough ultra tough games out there?

Or do you prefer an easier life?

Let's Chat!

Edited On 11 Mar, 2014

Comments
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
when i'm gaming i don't like getting pissed off as i use gaming as a way to escape real life stress and problems.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Also i think it's sad and pathetic that people break controllers etc when pissed off with a game.
A lot of games are too easy these days, with your recharging health bars and infinite respawns, pretty much anyone can beat them through a combination of perseverance and luck. I like some sense of accomplishment when I beat a game, not a feeling I got lucky or that I stuck at it for long enough.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
finished with thief yesterday so sent that back that had some challenging parts but not where i wanted to throw my controller it just made me sit back and plan my route more.. now on with mario 3d world might attempt all stars and stamps..
Good luck with that ;)
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
seems like the core game its self is a piece of piss so hopefully that'll add abit of difficulty to it.
It is easy to start with, how far are you in?
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I've only briefly played it so i'm reserving judgement till i've sunk a few hours into it but i'm rather looking forward to it to be honest. I know i hate on WiiU but that is just for abit of entertainment as you've probably gathered already.
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
The most frustrating series for me has always been Prince of Persia. I have just never been able to complete any of them. There is too much hand holding in games these days. I don't mind tutorial at the start to get used to the controls but not all the way through
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Hahahaha EA actually did something right yesterday. They went on a rampage and reset all the ultimate team players/youtubers who buy/sell coins and also advertise them.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Personally play the majority of games on hard unless it is a type of game I am not used to. The amount of handholding in some games is just stupid now. I think the last game I got frustrated at was the recent Mortal Kombat the last fight of the story against Shao Khan was just ridiculously broken the rest of the game was fine though. I fell though that there is a difference between making a game hard and it being really cheep to make it difficult.
Sadly one of the main things developers do to make a game hard in turn the enemy into a damage sponge. I like a game where you need strategy to overcome the enemy or the difficulty is in the terrain or just well thought out AI. Reason I don't like Borderlands that much
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I don't quite mind it as much in Borderlands as thats as much of an RPG as a shooter so it makes sense to have it the way it is, the only things that I fell are a bit of a problem in Borderlands are the optional bosses designed to be taken on with 4 people however if you go in with the RPG style of having a healer and Tank and so on it makes them easier.
It doesn't help that there is no punishment when you die in Borderlands
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I agree there you lose money which has almost no point. Would be interesting if you dropped the equipment you had on then you would play more cautiously.
When I first played Borderlands I played strategically until I died for the first time while fighting Mad Mel (Second story boss) by which time I realized that death has no consequence
Game went downhill after that realization
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Yeah it would be better if there was a bigger consequence like losing weapons or a lot of experience. Otherwise it does just get to the stage where you are just charging in over and over again. The optional bosses in the second one if you die you have to start the fight again. I think only one of them if you die you can jump back in again as long as people are still fighting it.
That is one of my main complaints about Fable 2 & 3
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
no games really give any big penalties anymore. most recent i can think of is the dead space games, as the highest difficulty limits you to 3 saves. so you could have done 3 / 4 chapters and die, and it sets you back to the last save. or be a crazy fool like me and do it all in a single sitting with no saves...
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
A lot of RPGs have a hardcore mode where if you die you lose everything, Torchlight 1 &2, Diablo 3, Starbound, Minecraft, Sacred and so on. It has a certain appeal to it.