DriveClub team had to go 'back to the drawing board,' No update on expected release date.

Sony has revealed that Driveclub had to go back to the drawing board so that people wouldn't be disappointed.

According to Worldwide Studios executive Scott Rohde, Sony wants DriveClub to be a great game, so in this respect it was not going to release the game until it was happy.

“We really don’t want to release a game before it’s ready. And sometimes, this happens in the normal course of business, where we think we’re on track to deliver what we think is going to be a great game, and when we get closer, we realize that we’d be doing everyone a disservice if we shipped it before it was ready," he told IGN.

“So, I think that at PlayStation, perhaps more than at other places, we’re willing to kinda eat that [cost], and go back to the drawing board and make sure the game is great before we ship it. And that’s what’s going on right now with that game.”

Rohde was asked about a release date, at which point the PR stepped in and revealed that we'll hear more details soon.

Do you think we'll still see DriveClub this year?

Edited On 11 Mar, 2014

Comments
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
Really disappointed by this news. Chances are this will go well into 2015. Only reason I still have my PS4 is this and Infamous, I guess we have loads of "indies" to look forward to :-/ ..
Longest launch window ever.
Steven 3 years ago
Fair play to em, I'd sooner wait and have a fantastic finished game, off the topic a little but is there any news on a force feedback steering wheel for the ps4.
Still not as big as the Wii U, yet
It will be.
3shirts's avatar
3shirts 3 years ago
They touted this as a launch title and 4 months later they are NOW saying they need to go back to the drawing board? Being that far from ready, I fail to believe they genuinely thought it would be ready for the PS4 launch. It was simply a false promise used to sell the console. Poor show Sony.
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
Was really looking forward to this. Doubt if this will be out till next year now. Still I suppose we should have The Crew and Project CARS this year. CARS looks seriously amazing.
Hymeleon's avatar
Hymeleon 3 years ago
"Reworking some areas" and "back to drawing board" is not exactly the same. Pretty sure it will be demoed and announced release date at E3'14...
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
If they do announce a date for this year @ E3, I hope it's one they can set in stone and stick to
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Thats a bit rubbish for the people looking forward to it, especially as they went on about it first being on PS + and then in the launch window. But then it is better to get it working right rather than releasing it broken. The crew looks more my cup of tea when it comes to racing games.
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
The more I see of The Crew, the more I like it. Still looking forward to DC though, although it won't be a day 1 buy for me. If there will still be a PS+ version, I'll try it out first.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
The only thing I have not seen for the crew yet is what the damage is like that you can do.
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
The only thing I could find was this, although it's probably changed since - http://blog.ubi.com/the-crew-collision-detection-customization-car-radios-community-questions/
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Sounds good a bit like how Need for speed does it. Just need to wait for a release date for it.
Pfft. Mario Kart son!
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Yeah but we know how Mario Kart will play if you have ever played any other version.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
Looks like repeat performance of Gran Turismo 5 - Just as it was about to launch I bought a PS3 for it and then the game got held back for over a year. This is the only game I had some interest in on PS4. I am glad I did not get a PS4 and repeat the same mistake. Also still waiting on The Last Guardian ....
All racing games have two types of gameplay to me. Arcade or Simulation, and I hate the latter
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Same here Nox, just don't have the time for sim racing games. Also Tony I would give up waiting for that.
Also Tony you could have cut that down by just saying " GT5 all over again. I bought a PS3 for it and it got delayed & since Driveclub is also delayed I'm glad I didn't get a PS4. Also still waiting on The Last Guardian"
65 words vs 34 words
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston's avatar
Dave 'BubbaJai' Aston 3 years ago
At this rate I'll have to settle for F1 2014, when they announce that for PS4. Thankfully at least I bought my PS for a variety of games
He could cut it down to less than that Nox 'blah blah blah' 3 words FTW.
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
goes both ways nox, you could've said nothing.... 0 words vs. 45 words :P
Fair enough :)
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
Mr. Joe Anderson, what have you caused? :D You need to change the title from "Driveclub has" to "Driveclub went" because this story is regarding when they went back to the drawing board around the time of the PS4 launch: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/453237/driveclub-dev-went-back-to-the-drawing-board-says-sony/ p.s. The trolls are out in force on facebook, @Old Timer well into 2015? a bit pessimistic @Tony... eat a snickers ;)
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
The trolls on the likes of Facebook amuse me. But that's good that it's still sort of on track then.
Joe2120's avatar
Joe2120 3 years ago
I've updated a little as IGN's article isn't exactly clear and they are the original source, not CVG who seem to have completely re-written the story in a different way.
jaijai's avatar
jaijai 3 years ago
As annoying as this is im happy to wait for it as long as it works .And wish Battlefield had done the same .