Thursday Chat: March 27, 2014

So both of the biggest games for Xbox One and PS4 for the year so far have released. But just how big an impact did they make?

We know that for the week of its release, Titanfall helped improve Xbox One sales, although sales seemed to go back to a closer to normal level for the following week (although the price cut is sure to boost the level of average sales).

With PlayStation 4 things are a bit harder to judge. Sales got a huge boost during inFamous launch week, higher than even Titanfall and a price cut managed for Xbox One. But was this due to inFamous or was it simply because there was finally more stock in the UK?

It's probably fair to say that for the year to date, PS4 is tracking ahead of Xbox One, both in Europe and the U.S, although it'll be impossible to know just how close the battle of the sales is in the latter, especially this month, until the U.S NPD results arrive in April. It could be close.

What's interesting is that Microsoft is yet to reveal that it has hit 4 million sales for Xbox One, as last we heard way back in December was that it had sold around 3 million consoles. Meanwhile PS4 was back at 6 million in February, meaning that it's probably pushing around 6.3 - 6.5 million by now, way over Sony's estimated sales for the year end of 5 million consoles sold.

One things for sure, either Titanfall was way overestimated in the impact it could have on Xbox One console sales or MS is really pushing as hard as it can at the moment, no matter the loss it has to endure. Take the U.S as a perfect example. Most retailers are cutting $50 off the price and providing other promotions in order to shift the Titanfall bundle specifically. Does that sound like a console being a system seller to you or does it sound like retailers trying to get rid of excess stock?

Whatever the answer and the outcome, at the end of the day, gamers win. If the retail price is cut because Xbox One is not making the impact Microsoft hoped it would - gamers win. If Xbox One suddenly starts selling on a par with PS4 and therefore intensifying the competition - gamers win.

Competition is good and the resulting sales war certainly keeps me entertained.

Let's Chat!

Edited On 27 Mar, 2014

Comments
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
xbox one digital sale on friday Call of Duty: Ghosts* 33% off, was £54.99, down to £36.84 Thief* 50% off, was £49.99, down to £24.99 Tomb Raider* 50% off, was £44.99, down to £22.50 Call of Duty: Ghosts Digital Hardened Edition 20% off, was £89.99, down to £72.00
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
Where I live places like GAME have said XB1 sales are doing better at the moment, to be expected with the release of Titanfall and the price drop. I personally don't think either title though is a system seller ( well not a huge one ) Titanfall, I bet a lot got it on PC or will wait for the 360 version. Infamous, a decent title but like a lot are saying, not the "First True Next Gen Title" Sony were saying it would be. Overall though I don't think Microsoft are panicking now about being behind in sales, look how bad the launch was for the PS3, took them a while but Sony got there in the end and lets be honest, with the resources Microsoft have, they could and no doubt ( in the future ) will undercut Sony to get back in the race so to speak and with the money issues Sony are having, how can they afford to respond? Interesting aswell, this "Big Microsoft Anouncement at E3" .. I see a few sites speculating that they will make Xbox LIVE "Free", sort of thing Microsoft would do now Sony charge to play online, that would be interesting "if" it happens.
Danny_936's avatar
Danny_936 3 years ago
I've had titanfall since release and ive played it 3 or 4 times for a about 2-3 hours each session, its a fun game but id rather just boot up cod ghosts and play that instead simply coz its a better game but titanfall is simply something else to play until halo 5 comes out.
Neither Titanfall or Infamous look anything special to me, going to be a while yet before anything comes along that will convince me to part with the cash for either console. Sold my copy of Ground Zeroes today, got £23 for it and managed to score a copy of South Park with it, so I'll have that for the weekend.
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
@Toots, you been Shraped by tony or something :P
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
i just know because of where certain alliances are lead that it wouldn't get reported on so i though i may as well put it out there.
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
Infamous is a true next gen game. Best of the series and the best game I've played. Give them more resources for a gtaesque map I say. And OT that won't come close to happening. If they didn't have Live last gen, they'd be so far in the red they wouldn't have been able to explain keeping the XBOX department to investors.
Best Game you've played? So close to launch you shouldn't say that since you are still on the honeymoon period, after a few more months if you still say that then it is the best game you've played
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
This is a rare occasion but i agree with Nox.
Well screw you too. Lol
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
Sure thing atooty ;) j/k mate, fair enough
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Don't push me towards one of my man periods..
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
:P
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Titanfall is da best n so is da forza best game racing
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
I meant best game I've played on the current gen*. Metal Gear Solid 3 still has the far and away best game I've played.
MrG's avatar
MrG 3 years ago
I completed second son in 7 hours with 98% done, it's great but not next gen. Titanfall shows the way forward as it shines in every aspect! I sold second son today for £31 and got a fan free to help keep the ps4 quiet.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Why are people talking about Next Gen already? Current gen started a year and a half ago. Stop wishing away your consoles like that. Seriously tho. I felt like all of the PS4 and XBone efforts thus far just feel like the padding till something truly remarkable comes along either at the end of the year or in a few years time. It's pretty damn sad when you're less amazed by a brand new 'next gen' title as opposed to titles that have been out for 10 years now. Pretty sad indeed
DynamiteWhyte's avatar
DynamiteWhyte 3 years ago
98% in 7 hours? I call bull on that. Or else you're Delsin Rowe himself.