Thursday Chat: April 10

Action or story, what's more important? Do you prefer to run and gun or do you enjoy a good story? There are certainly plenty of games which have shooting as the main draw, but what about storytelling? Do you feel there are enough titles which really drag you in and don't let go until the credits roll?

We can think of a few titles which have grabbed us, The Last of Us is an obvious candidate for instance. The problems with telling a good story is game's though is that often the developer tries to get as much game time in as possible, which can be to the detriment of the plot since it is often dragged out in order to satisfy the player.

Shooter games obviously don't suffer from this issue, since they are pretty much rinse and repeat, especially online.

So which do you prefer? If it's the story, do you feel developers have yet to create the emotional connection which movies bring or do you think that with game's such as The Last of Us, at least some developers have cracked it.

Edited On 10 Apr, 2014

Comments
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Cracked 25 years ago with The start of the Mother franchise. No other series has came anywhere near hitting the emotional impact of that masterpiece.
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Personally I feel it needs to be a mix of both. If the game feels boring it's sometimes doesn't help the story.
A story is nice, if it's a good one and told well, but gameplay is king. So many mediocre games these days cover it up with a story, and because the story is good people mistake it as a good game.
jonathan 3 years ago
I would describe story and gameplay as layers in a cake, story is very important. It keeps players engaged, keeps games long, off the story isn't there the game be received well things like mmorgs, first person shooters like call of duty where it concentrated on online gaming and recently infamous second son story not being as good as its predecessors.this also effects the length of games, in some instances story isn't as important but for games like infamous and role playing games in general there needs to be a good story gameplay however is probably akin to the icing on the cake, without good gameplay a game will fail, most gamers look at graphics however its not that important, its nice, myself personally have played these pretty games but can be completed in 8-10 hours i prefer big games that take 40+ hours with a good story and gameplay like final fantasy, there are games gameplay isn't the greatest but the story is very compelling like nier on ps2 such a beautiful crafted story
I love a good story but likeable characters comes first for me, gameplay is a close 3rd. Tales of Vesperia is a good example of a game that has all 3 and the Yakuza games are quite good at it as well, but the 2 games that will always hold a special place in my heart are Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Oh and The Last Story was unique to say the least
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
it's all about the gameplay, if i wanted a good story i'd go watch a film. if i wanted something with likeable characters i'd watch a TV series.
All hail the Virtual Boy
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I preferred The Star Ocean till the end of time. The weird romance between the child and the adult put me off the last hope a bit though i do mean to go back to it. I just got up to the guy with the scythe joining. Is there much difference between the 360 and the PS3 versions?
I think the only difference is a different/better UI (Depends on how you look at it) & the Japanese voice over. You really should go back to it since the game really steps up a gear once Arumat joins
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I keep meaning to as I still have my save for it.
I can never do that with an RPG. If I stop playing for a long period of time I have to start a new game
I'm gonna try to break the cycle when I finally start playing Trinity Universe again
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I will try to pick up but I do end up starting from the beginning again. Been playing FF x so after I finish that and X-2 ia m going back to Tales of Graces to finish that. Noticed we get a free T shirt with Mario Kart now which is good. We will have to try and get loads of people on ti when it is out for some fun.
Not played much of any game for the past few days, been stuck editing a video of all my DKS2 deaths