Sony looking into The Last of Us discount for those who own game on PS3

Already own The Last of Us on PS3? Then you may be excited to know that Sony is looking into giving those who do a discount if they buy the game on the PlayStation 4.

"We are looking into the business model for this and will post an update once we have had feedback from all the regions," said Sony's Eric Monacelli in response to a users question on the matter.

In addition, he also confirmed on the US Blog that the final DLC, The Grounded Bundle, will also be included in the PS4 release of The Last of Us.

Would you like to see a discount for those who already own the game on PS3? We think this would be a pretty great move by Sony and could see this being part of a big E3 surprise. What do you think?

Edited On 17 Apr, 2014

Comments
Robichoico's avatar
Robichoico 3 years ago
Depends on how much cheaper it is really. If it's just a tenner off then not worth it. But if it means you can upgrade for a Tenner (weren't EA/Activision doing this with COD/Battlefield etc?) then its good deal. I would more than happily pay a fiver to play select titles on the PS4. Forcing us to rebuy titles at full whack because Sony are too backwards to do backwards compatibility is just ridiculous.
Burner's avatar
Burner 3 years ago
I agree if they are going to go the upgrade for £10 route then great but otherwise I'm not paying silly money to re buy something I own on another Sony system!
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
"Forcing us to rebuy titles at full whack" - How was Zelda Wind Waker HD?
Difference is The Wind Waker was released in 2002. The Last of Us was released last year. Comparing the two is pointless
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
The products are actually very similar in execution (Graphically updated, new content added, full priced release, etc etc), but I'm not sure what difference the release date makes... if anything it just makes WWHD look a worse deal seeing as games released around the same time in the early 2000s get similar re-release up-ports these days in the price range of £5-£10, whereas WWHD launched at £40. Last of Us is launching in a similar range price wise to the same package on PS3 as it stands today... and it isn't like a PS4 version of the game hasn't been widely requested for various reasons by many people... chief among them being the high number of PS4 users who were previously Xbox only players last gen.
The games that get "Up-Ports" as you say are just that. Wind Waker HD was a remake and The Last of Us could be played on a PS4 if Sony had backward compatibility, the WiiU backward compatibility is for Wii games
Technically it should still be able to play Gamecube games since the Wii was a glorified Gamecube
Meh, should be free, at the most a fiver, it's not worth any more for a tiny bit of polish.
Nah, 60FPS support is worth at least £20. The PS3 version struggled to keep 30FPS most of the time (Main reason I haven't played it)
Only if you're a pedant who loves looking at games through a magnifying glass.
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
To be fair Gloria I think you underestimate how much work and financial investment go into a project like this
When I play a game I like it to play smoothly and not have any slowdown when stuff starts to happen
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
Also it's not like a movie company would give me the blu-ray version of a film for free just cos I originally bought the dvd, and they don't even have to put any work and time in to upscaling it to blu-ray as movies are already shot at a higher resolution... just a bit of perspective
I don't think I do RTLF, it's just the same game run through a different engine that they were developing for Uncharted 4 anyway, actual work that they weren't doing anyway would have been minimal.
I reckon ND were just using Last of Us to test the game engine and some Sony exec saw pound signs when they saw it.
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
A bit naive, on a game as detailed as this it wont be minimal plus Naughty Dog take a lot of pride in their games. They're also including all the dlc as part of the package (which owners of the original will not have gotten for free) but yea make the game a free upgrade or only a fiver... pfft
They started work on the PS4 version right after the PS3 was released. Personally I don't think it should have been a PS3 game in the first place
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
And that last comment is just cynical, why do people expect game companies to make decisions based on ethics as opposed to what makes financial sense? They're a business, this is a good business decision and the more money they make the more they'll be able to invest in future games, everyone's a winner, end of story
Lred's avatar
Lred 3 years ago
I'll buy it if its a bargain for owners of the PS3 version for sure. Other than that I'd happily replay the PS3 copy I have if the urge takes me and keep £50 to buy something new. Wasn't exactly like it was lacking on PS3 was it?
Not naive at all, they're just plugging the same data in to a new engine, there would be some tweaking and testing, but compared to creating a game from scratch the effort involved would be minimal. But if it's cynical to expect more than cheap cash ins, guilty as charged ;)
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Ladies ladies
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
If it was an ok price to upgarde I would probably do it but I still have the PS3 version which is good enough. I can see why it is a good deal for people that didnt buy the PS3 version though if they had said at the time it was coming to PS4 as well I would have held off buying it. Looking at the windwaker HD compared to some of the other HD ports you can notice a difference, a lot more went into it rather than just updating the resolution. Though when you think about it you are buying a remastered version of a game that came out two console generations ago when compared to one not even a year old.
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
Leave it out Toots, didn't see you starting any arguments today so thought I'd fill in ;)
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
Yea Tony but you see if you read my comment properly you'll see I was referring to people who haven't actually paid for the dlc on the PS3 version... I agree though that ND should look into further discounts for those like myself who did get the season pass...
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
"Wind Waker HD was a remake" - Sure, in the same way Kingdom Hearts 1.5 was a 'remake'. " It could be free / cheap if you have already bought the PS3 version. I bought AC4 Season pas on Xbox 360, and it was then FREE to me on Xbox ONE. " - Really? Did you also get the actual AC4 game free on Xbox One when you bought it on 360 by any chance?
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
I only got the pass free because it was purchased digitally and MS knew, but as I bought the game retail and 2 different versions (Xbox 360 standard, Xbox ONE Skull edition) then no. If I bought the game digitally on 360 then it could have been free on Xbox ONE
If you bought the game digitally then you would have got the Xbone version for £10
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
" Wind Waker HD was a remake, not a total remake like Resident Evil remake but a remake none the less. No one ever has said that Kingdom Heart 1.5 was a remake" - That's my point. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 was the exact same core game with high resolution textures added to the game in addition to being natively HD, with minor tweaks to the gameplay and with some additional content added also. More or less the same thing done with Wind Waker. Not saying you shouldn't label such efforts remakes or anything, I was just offering a little perspective.
Wind Waker HD is a remake and wasn't just given higher resolution textures. Oh & can you please stop quoting like that, it is really annoying
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
The Resident Evil remake was great.
It was was it not. Kevin fine I give, The Wind Waker HD was a remastering of the original but it is one of the best remasterings next to Resident Evil remake
Oh, I'm sorry "Resident Evil remaster"
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Resi on Gamecube was actually a remake... I'm sorry, I'll let this go now, I shouldn't have started it in the first place. My bad. And if you can tell me a better way to quote on here I'm all ears. Responding to anything is a serious pain in the ass with the current set up these comments have.
Yea but I think people should be able to work it out by themselves, if they can't then I will be seriously worried for them. WE WANT OUR REPLY BUTTON BACK!!!!!!
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
Just for perspective: P4G, a great remake, another old game from 2 generations ago with Shed loads of new content (new characters, dungeons, personas, social links, cut scenes) as well as the upgraded graphics, price £30. Then there's Final Fantasy X-X2 HD, some new content, much improved visuals and *two* full games, price £25. Whether you had the old Wind Waker or not wasn't the £40 price tag a little hefty? Where were your cynical comments then Gloria? or did you just keep shtum and get your dough out(or amazon vouchers)? A remake's a remake at the end of the day, not a completely new game, in your words "a cheap cash in"... so why did you buy it? Because you love the game thats why, just like I love this one, so don't knock it... end of... :)
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Is that the PS vita persona with all the extra stuff? have fancied trying it but not played a persona game before.
GET IT! If you love JRPGs or just RPGs in general you will P4G
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I noticed its £23 on here and I get paid next week so I might. I assume the fighting is turn based?
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
Get it Zombie, one of the best games ever made: http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-vita/persona-4-golden Yes the fighting is turn based
Even my Sister who only plays games like Templerun, with the occasional Spyro & Sonic loves Persona 4
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
Love Temple Run!
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Done :)
You still interested in a GameCube with Path of Radiance RTLF?
Also have Resident Evil 4, Blood Omen 2 & NFS: Most Wanted
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
And path of radiance will only cost one kidney.
Ha!
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Think its more like cost of a liver now. Just seen the prices on ebay.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Yeah have been trying to get that and Skies of Arcadia for a decent price but no luck yet.
My Path of Radiance copy doesn't have the manual so I don't really want to keep it in my collection
It will just annoy the crap out of me
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I know how you feel, I let a friend borrow my Resident Evil remake and he lost the manual and didnt understand why I was annoyed. You seen the rumour about the new Prince of persia game being 2D and with the same art style as Child of light?
I would love that but I would prefer if they continued with what they were doing with the 2008 reboot
Might need to re-play that soon
I gave my mate a lend of Infamous & when I got it back it didn't have the manual, I just told him to keep it
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
The 2008 one was the cel shaded one? That was great just far too easy was my only complaint. That annoys me If I borrow something I always make a point of returning it in the same condition. Had another friend that borrowed my season 3 of Futurama and lost the sleeve for it so it just looked stupid in the collection. Have started letting people borrow things in blank cases now.
That's the one. I don't think it did that good in sales though
Light Heavensword's avatar
Light Heavensword 3 years ago
The only reason The Last Of Us ever existed in the first place was because Naughty Dog couldn't get Jak and Daxter 4 to work. I was really sad and dissapointed along with a couple of my friends, then again The Last Of Us was pretty amazing and i hope Naughty Dog can go back to Jak and Daxter, to be honest Naughty Dog should have just started the game on the PS4 instead. I kind of feel cheated because if i had known about this i would have waited. If it's a small upgrade fee then it seems okay.