Wednesday Chat: April 23

It's Wednesday. So Let's Chat!

One company that seems to be going through the mills at the moment is Nintendo and therefore we'd like to talk about the Japanese giant today.

Do you think Mario Kart 8 will be the saviour of Wii U or do you think Nintendo has something special up its sleeves for E3? It would appear that Nintendo has failed to reach its own projections so something will need to be done. But is including Mario figures in McDonalds Happy Meals the way to go? Corporate sponsorship gets the Nintendo name in the public eye, but is this really the way to go about it? What else could Nintendo do?

I've thought about the Wii U long and hard and feel the only way to save the console is to relaunch it completely. Nintendo made a big mistake when first revealing the Wii U by focusing on the Gamepad and not showing off the consoles. This made many feel that it was an add on and since then it continued this focus, confusing the consumer in the process. So in my opinion, what Nintendo needs to do is relaunch the Wii U, focusing on the games which currently grace the system. This combined with a price cut and or some bundles could really help push the system to new users.

But what do you think? Where now for Nintendo? Let's chat!

Let's Chat!

Edited On 23 Apr, 2014

Comments
Nintendo will be fine, MK8 and Smash Bros will give the Wii U a shot in the arm, and I'm pretty sure they'll have something special to show at E3 to keep things ticking over. If it comes to the worst the 3DS can carry the Wii U till the next generation.
Ninty have enough money for 2 more Gamecubes. If they invest in some long dormant IPs then I personally think that will "save" the Wii U, Shenmue, Power Stone, Mega Man, Chrono, Project Zero (They are doing this one) & bring over Project Zero 4
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Not likely to happen though is it Nox as Capcom own Mega Man and Power Stone and as far as I know they havent released any games on Wii U same with Square Enix owning Chrono franchise and they havent released anything on Wii U. Maybe they could do a deal with SEGA for some of there IPs like Shenmue, Shining force or Phantasy Star series. Some RPGs would help the console I think. But in my opinion its too late now for the Wii U thinking there will be some cracking games that will be releasesd for it but will never get the mass sales its looking for.
Capcom and Square Enix not released any games on Wii U? Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, RE Revelations and Deus Ex Directors Cut say hi.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
I stand corrected but you got to admit 1 Square Enix game in the whole of the Wii Us life is not good especially when they like to flog the Final fantasy name a lot.
I'd rather have one game the quality of Deus Ex on Wii U than a million Final Fantasies.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
wii-u sucks..
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
yeah but that game wasnt going to bring people over to the Wii U as it was rerelease of an old game and came out on other consoles at the same time.
Maybe not, still the definitive version of the game though, same with RE Revelations.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
because they took pity on us wii-u owners that's the reason why..
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
I still think Nintendo make some of the best games around. Personally though I think they should forget about the hardware side and just concentrate on games, do a deal with Microsoft or Sony ( better still, both ) and release games on other platforms.
Never going to happen.
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
Personally I can't see it ever happening ( I'd like it to happen ) unless Nintendo ever hit a point where financially they didn't have a choice, meaning it was the only way they could be saved. Don't really see that happening either unless there's something we don't know.
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
Just to add, when I said "I'd like it to happen" I don't mean I want to see Nintendo fail, I would like to see Nintendo games on say Xbox One :-)
If Ninty stop making hardware (Never gonna happen but lets roll with it) then they will stop making games altogether. I know Mega Man & Power Stone are Capcpom IPs but that couldn't stop Ninty investing in them, personally I know a few people who would buy a Wii U for a new Power Stone or Mega Man (Mega Man Legends specificity)
Nintendo games on Xbox, PS4 or Vita wouldn't be half as special as they are on Nintendo platforms, their creative vision would be compromised, they would lose their soul.
1 example is that they wouldn't be able to do what they do with Zelda if they were making games for other platforms.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
What was different about the RE revelations on the Wii U? They will do fine but it really is there lack of marketing it properly that has let them down.
The marketing for the Wii U was terrible, same as the 3DS. The Wii U still has people thinking that the Gamepad is the console & the 3DS still has people thinking the 3D effect will make you spontaneously combust (Not as much as there was)
RE Revelations had Miiverse integration on Wii U, plus map and easy access item and weapon controls on the pad.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I remember seeing the things when the 3DS came out they were ridiculous. The amount of people I know that hink the Wii U was just an add on rather than a new console. Would you say it was worth getting over the 3DS version Gloria?
It is all about immersion, which the Wii U version of some games do well. Nothing breaks the immersion than having to go into a menu each 5 seconds to see where you are going (Ala: Wind Waker)
I would say so ZF, there's a few little extras on Wii U over 3DS, and there's probably not much price difference between them by now.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
I've always been curious as to why people assume Nintendo will make another home console after the Wii U considering how much they've lost on it already (It's supposedly been annihilating any profit they've pulled in from the 3DS since it launched) and considering they've lost the support of every major publisher there is. Seems clear at this point that Nintendo games alone can't carry a home console anymore. By the time this gen is done, they'll be a handheld only company. I'd put money on it.
I'll take that bet, how much money do you want to put on it?
Im Going Space's avatar
Im Going Space 3 years ago
new smash bros is one of the few reasons i still have a 3ds
I'll take that bet as well
Really Space? The 3DS has a bucket load of worthwhile games
Pretty sure kevin won't put his money where his mouth is though Nox
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I'm with big K on this one
No one cares what you think Toots.
You want to put some money on it too Tootell? I'll be happy to take it off you.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I'll bang a tenner on it.
Is that all?
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
Don't bet what you can't afford to lose
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Put whatever monetary sum you like on the bet and I'll double down gladly. I'll make a provision for their next handheld being some kind of hybrid device that plugs into the TV. I really do think that Wii U is the last dedicated home console they make though.
That's cheating
Wondered how long it would take kevin to back track on his original statement.