ShopTo.net

Nintendo to announce new NFC peripheral at E3

Nintendo will announce a new NFC peripheral at this year's E3 for the 3DS as part of a new cross-platform initiative with the Wii U.

According to reports translating the latest financial call, a new series of games and figures known as Nintendo Figurine Platform are currently under development. While the Wii U currently supports NFC from within the Gamepad, Nintendo will release an infra-red reader for the 3DS.

The NFC reader will be used with figurines and will be capable of both reading and writing data, allowing you to customise characters. Rather than being confined to one game, the figurine will be compatible with a range of titles and are likely to include the likes of Pokemon, Zelda and of course Mario, the latter of which was the only figure shown off during the briefing. The figures and peripheral have apparently been in development for around a year and will be shown at E3 2014 along with new software.

Edited On 08 May, 2014

Comments
Dead 1 year ago
This could be massive, loads of people don't give a shit about Disney or Skylanders but would buy these, plus Nintendo are bound to produce better games to go with them.
Loli-Nox-Tan 1 year ago
Interested
Alexander 1 year ago
So a Nintendo focus Skylanders accessory for their products... You wounder why the Wii U is doomed.
Loli-Nox-Tan 1 year ago
You see the money that kids are just throwing away at games like Skylanders and Infinity? Now that Ninty are doing the same thing Skylanders is done since Disney have Micky & Ninty have Mario , who do Acti have?
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 1 year ago
I see it the other way nox I think Nintendo could be too late to the party. Acti has skylanders the brand which has become huge and if required could through Crash Bandicoot into it. I think parents will get fed up and say I have already bought you infinty stuff and skylanders I am not buying you mario stuff as well.
Dead 1 year ago
I wouldn't take anyone seriously who can't even spell wonder anyway Nox ;)
Loli-Nox-Tan 1 year ago
With the next Skylanders game don't you have to buy a new portal and figures. I don't think they are too late, I think it is still a viable option since with the release of Mario Kart coming up I know a few people/kids who want a WiiU now and they would be all over this
Loli-Nox-Tan 1 year ago
& Crash doesn't have the same appeal he once had
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 1 year ago
Havent they already done it with Pokemon Rumble as well but I have never heard anyone talking about playing that.
Dead 1 year ago
Crash is a festering corpse.
Loli-Nox-Tan 1 year ago
Cos no one wanted Rumble U
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 1 year ago
I literally laughed out loud at the implication this could be more appealling to the casual market that these types of games have sold best to than Disney. The very fact that this is going to be locked to Nintendo consoles alone all but guarantees failure anyways.
Loli-Nox-Tan 1 year ago
Same with Zelda, Smash Bros, Metriod, Kirby, Star Fox, Kid Iccrus, Mario, Pikmin, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Xeno, Project Zero5, Bayoneta2, etc. They are all a guaranteed failure cos they are only on Nintendo platforms
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 1 year ago
Depends on how you qualify 'failure' in each individual case I guess(eg. Bayonetta 2 would be a flop regardless of what it released on, because the first game was a flop), but my overall point was that a big part of the reason Skylanders and Disney Infinity were as big as they were was largely down to being available on just about every platform going, whereas this Nintendo offering will only be available on one irrelevant home console and one handheld device that will require the use of a seperate attachment to use. This title will be fighting for a share of this particular market with a serious handicap from the get go.
Loli-Nox-Tan 1 year ago
Just cos Bayo1 was a flop doesn't mean Bayo2 will be. "Irrelevant home console" Do me a favor and stop insulting the people who love their WiiU. The 3DS versions of Infinity and Skylanders needed a separate attachment as well so that criticism is moot
Dead 1 year ago
The only thing irrelevant around here is kevins opinion.
Loli-Nox-Tan 1 year ago
Oh and from the eyes of someone who plays on PC the PS4&Xbone are the irrelevant consoles since I don't see why I would want a PC imitator when I could just get/use a PC.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 1 year ago
" "Irrelevant home console" Do me a favor and stop insulting the people who love their WiiU." - Where did I do this? Maybe you shouldn't take reasonable observations about the status of a piece of hardware as a personal insult. Also, you dragging up that "Bu-bu-but PC!!!" routine every time someone mentions the PS4 (Or doesn't even mention it at all apparently.) is coming off as really desperate now. You can label whatever you like however you like of course, but lets not pretend like the market at large hasn't already decided what hardware is relevant and what hardware isn't. I'm sorry if that's upsetting to you, but that's reality I'm afraid.
Loli-Nox-Tan 1 year ago
PC MASTER RACE!
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 1 year ago
PC MASTER RACE!
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 1 year ago
Thanks for underlining my point for me.
Doom Of Shadow's avatar
Doom Of Shadow 1 year ago
Oh Nintendo, you really are massive twats aren't you..
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 1 year ago
Everyones really aggressive today.
Doom Of Shadow's avatar
Doom Of Shadow 1 year ago
I'm not, quite relaxed at the moment ;)
growkin's avatar
growkin 1 year ago
I fear that console manufactures are going to be more peripheral centric rather than develop first party games.Though I also guess they are different departments, need something for the hardware side to do.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 1 year ago
I don't know about that if you look at how big the likes of Rock Band and so on were a few years ago. They seemed to have died out now. Saying that I would have loved something like this when I was young and I am tempted to get the Avengers infinity even just as collectibles as they look quite cool.
Paddy_1's avatar
Paddy_1 1 year ago
Interesting concept
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 1 year ago
Kevin still Wii-U bashing i see. If you own an Wii-U you would see its great gaming console & it will not fail as you keep saying it will. I own all 3 consoles & enjoy them all, so don't come bashing the Wii-U every chance you get coz it's just making you look like an fanboy/ an troll. Anyways back to topic this could be good if done right & could come up with some unique games but ill have to wait for more further details to see what i think of this.