DriveClub to offer microtransactions

Sony has revealed that DriveClub will offer microtransactions is users wish to make use of them.

Speaking in a new interview with IGN, DriveClub director Paul Rustchynsky revealed the news of the optional paid-for content.

“It’s been a hot topic of late inside gaming, and we’ve been very keen to take on board the feedback from gamers and make sure we don’t upset anyone.

"What we’ve done is make sure that the progression system is really straightforward, really simple and gives you access to a lot of content really quickly.

"If you want to unlock a car immediately, you can pay to unlock that car straight away but it’s not a consumable microtransaction. We don’t let people buy Fame, for example and spend lots and lots. The idea is if you want to shortcut things you can do – it’s identical to what we did in Motorstorm RC. So if you played that, you know what we’re doing here."

DriveClub is out later this year, you can pre-order below.

Edited On 12 May, 2014

Comments
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I'm not suprised in the slightest.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 3 years ago
that one word puts me off bigtime, probably money like in gran turismo, id rather put the time and effort in to unlock these things myself, well if these transactions allow other rival clubs to proceed faster meaning i would need to spend to keep up, ill be giving this a miss
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
that's the great things about microtransactions they're optional.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 3 years ago
yeah lol, we give you the option to spend if you want to win, otherwise youll lose lol
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
It doesn't surprise me at all, so many games these days offer them. Like jay has said, it will probably mean that if you go up against other clubs that have paid for the best cars early on, what chance do people stand that just want to unlock them through progress of play? Oh well, that's saved me the money and I'll just be content to play what the PS+ version offers.
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 3 years ago
that's what I was thinking, bit of free racing to fill the gap between project cars or the crew whichever takes my fancy at the time, providing they dont take the same route
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Doesn't sound like "microtransactions" as we've come to know them at all, sounds much more like optional shortcut unlocks like we've already been seeing for years now in the Need for Speed games and various other arcade racers. They'll be labelled microtransactions regardless of course, but this it's not exactly Forza 5 in terms of monetisation severity... yet anyways.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
Had a feeling this was going to happen , there will always be players out there who need to get ahead early and pay money to get there as its going to be very competitve
Old Timer's avatar
Old Timer 3 years ago
@ jay, as much as I look forward to Drive Club ( well the PS+ version now lol ) I really cannot wait for Project Cars and The Crew, I have very high hope for these games :)
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Prometheus I dont understand why its that different, it is still paying for an unlock sooner rather than earning it granted by the way they are talking it is the one car you get whereas in the likes of Forza you have to buy the points then the cars it is still pretty much the same. As long as they do not make earning the cash to buy the cars as much as Forza 5 was to start with then I dont see the issue,
jay.hamilton's avatar
jay.hamilton 3 years ago
I would love the crew to make a dlc which was the entire UK map, i would love to race down my street lol
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 3 years ago
I can see why some companies use MT's but I feel it takes away to good feeling of earning something yourself.
juvan1le's avatar
juvan1le 3 years ago
Microtransactions are a poison, now that there so many in games even ones that ''do it right'' annoy me, after playing soul calibur lost swords... man that scarred me for life
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
Zombie, usually the difference between shortcut unlocks and in-game currency/real money microtransactions manifests itself in how the in-game economy for earning these things the proper way is designed. With games that utilise "full on" microtransactions, the amount of currency/XP/whatever you earn is scaled back to make it harder to earn this stuff through 'hard work'. tl,dr: The presence of microtransactions will alter the very design of a game, whereas shortcuts should make no difference to it whatsoever.
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
I see what you mean but it depends on the game for each case I feel. Having played both PvZ and powerstar golf on the xbox one they both have microtransactions and neither of them are a grind to get coins to buy stuff, two or three games and you have enough to buy one of the top packs. However I do understand there are some where it is one hell of a grind like Forza 5 (apparently its sorted but I havent played it since to see).