Rumour: Microsoft to remove paywall for streaming service

It's being reported this morning that Microsoft are planning to remove the paywall for streaming services for Xbox LIVE.

Currently if you want to watch subscribe only services such as Netflix or Amazon Instant video then you need to be an Xbox LIVE Gold member. This is in contrast to PlayStation Network, which allows its users to watch these services without a subscription to PlayStation Plus.

Do you feel that Microsoft should make this change? It would certainly make sense.

Edited On 13 May, 2014

Comments
Akemi no Zero's avatar
Akemi no Zero 3 years ago
You should always be able to use free & i mean free apps on your xbox like 4od without subscription. Ms should of done this from the start.
PhilyB's avatar
PhilyB 3 years ago
There shouldn't even be a paywall for these services
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
Suprised people like Netflix havent kicked off to Microsoft about it before to be honest as I am sure they would want as many people as possible to access there apps
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
maybe people should just get there hand in there pocket. if you look around you can get a years gold for £26ish
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
maybe that was slightly over the top.
Just a bit, if you're already paying for Netflix, or something you shouldn't have to pay again.
Bindiana's avatar
Bindiana 3 years ago
and the Xbox one is supposed to be a entertainment hub what would be the point if you cant access half of it.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
yes but Netflix wasn't created specifically for the xbox one.
 TruDarkAssassin's avatar
TruDarkAssassin 3 years ago
most of these apps are available free on most devices so charging for it up to now just seems a stupid move , it should be made free as microsoft were pushing the whole tv thing on us to start with
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
I'm sure the majority of people with an xbox one own a xbox live subscription. I think this is just a way at nit picking at the console
Not just Xbone, it's 360 as well, and I know plenty of people who don't bother with Gold any more.
JoeToots's avatar
JoeToots 3 years ago
This is the one thing that pisses me off about the gaming community i'm guilty of it myself but we are always focusing on the negatives of the consoles we never actually talk about what companys do well unless it's 'your' console. Gloria(wii_u) TONY(XBOX) just a few examples. i'm in no way critising you guys and i hope you don't mind me using you as example these are just what popped into my head.
superniceguy's avatar
superniceguy 3 years ago
Even if the Xbox did not have Netflix etc I would still have Gold. I have used streaming services on Wii and PS3, but find the playback on Xbox more smoother. It will be good to remove the paywall on Xbox ONE though as it is meant to be an entertainment device than just a games console which the 360 was, so should get more people interested in buying the console for that. When the exclusive TV shows come through, and the more premium content, I bet you will need Gold for them. With Sky I can not watch their box sets unless I upgrade and pay more, but it is free to watch catch up via 4oD etc
Zombieflamingo's avatar
Zombieflamingo 3 years ago
Doesn't bother me either way though I do agree with Joe.
SquareSofty's avatar
SquareSofty 3 years ago
It would make a lot of sense to get rid of the paywall. They should have been thinking about this a long time ago.
RTLF's avatar
RTLF 3 years ago
Good observation Joe, and you're right, people just nitpick about the most petty things all the time... in this case though I feel it's just about justified. There are people who don't have Gold but they've paid for an xbox and pay for a netflix subscription, well done to MS for finally rectifying this
Pyroloveridge's avatar
Pyroloveridge 3 years ago
They should have done this years ago.
PrometheusFan's avatar
PrometheusFan 3 years ago
I'll believe it when I see it, as the main reason apps on Xbox are locked behind a paywall in the first place is to give a false perception of value in purchasing an Xbox Live subscription. If apps are accessible to everyone, then what actual value is there in Xbox Live? Even if this does happen, what are the bets that free to play games (What few there are on Xbox anyways) will still be paywalled? Will be fascinating to see if they try to make a big deal out of this at E3 when the smartest move is obviously to kill the paywall as quickly and quietly as possible.
ADAM 3 years ago
This doesn't bother me at all tbh ive always had gold and will not stop having it, yes its still a good change tho.
growkin's avatar
growkin 3 years ago
Glad this has happened, netflix kinect integration may help push some consoles as it is nice to pretend to live in the future. :P
Beazi's avatar
Beazi 3 years ago
Can't see why Microsoft makes you take out Gold membership to watch these services, however I am warming on the monthly charges as long as it ensures servers up for all games as long as possible. As seen last gen, server closure can have a real negative effect. MAG and Socom just two which have fallen foul of this, both now really frisbees with no local use.
Paddy_1's avatar
Paddy_1 3 years ago
This will boost Xbox ONE sales in the long run, because of those people buying the console for purposes other than online gaming. Il still be a gold member either way ;)